Got my Jetter GS Purple and.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

wow, what a dark pedal. I'm running it into my Super Reverb RI with an Ibanez Artist (DiMarzio 36th PAFs) and I'm finding that I initially had to turn up the tone and gain almost all the way to get serious crunch. Really had to dig in to get to it, and it was rather muffled.
    I was really surprised since it sounds almost nothing like wahwah's A/B demo he did of the Purple and a Zendrive with a Strat. (the 'like a blanket was over my amp' statement comes to mind with my setup). I flipped the bright switch on the Super and that really brought it to life. I could hear the distortion much better, but really left me unimpressed next to my BSIAB II.
    I'm hesitant about trying the other Jetter pedals now, particularly since I wanted to check out the Gold. I guess I'm a high(er) gain buyer when it comes to looking for pedals and wanted to like the Purple, but just can't bring myself to do it. It's a HIGH-quality built pedal, but overall sound left me wanting more; sounded somewhat generic to me in the end.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

This is not good to hear as I have a GSP and GSR coming any day. I guess there's always EBay. There is a clip in the soundclip section and I thought it sounded great on that clip.

3. Bucksears

I don't know if it's the one that I got, or if it's working fine and that's just how it sounds.
    Almost everyone has been gushing over this pedal, so I gave it a try. Maybe it's just me or my rig, but it doesn't work for me.
    YMMV, however.

4. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

COT50 or Purple Plexi. Traded my Brownie because of the PP.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i own a GSR, and it sounds great to me.
    I want to try a Blue.

I think they react very different to different amps, with the SD80 it sounds really good, but you won't believe this one, i am using a loaned Fender Hot Rod Deluxe form a friend while i am down here in the caribbean and i just love the way it sounds with it, it is just perfect.

One thing that you have to keep in mind, here the Houses are made of concrete, so maybe the darkness that it might bring just works in this enviroment better than in my carboard box apartments.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I tried to tell yall about the Purple....just didn't do it for me. I like the OCD much better. I was down on Jetter after that, but I will eventually try the Blue and Red.

7. Bucksears

Nah, that's cool. I have to try it for myself and see. So many people rave about Menatone's stuff, yet after owning three of his pedals (early TBIAC, early KK, current WMB), none of them do it for me.
    I love my BSIAB II (main pedal right now), yet it doesn't do it for some.

8. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

I just bought a purple jetter off ebay and I can't say that mine sounds muffled. It does have a fat sound to it and I would describe it as a fat Marshall sound. A friend of mine has a jetter gold and they were pretty similar. The mids are not really scooped though so it wouldn't be a good choice if you like a scooped distortion unless your amp has a mid adjustment. BTW I'm using mine with a Two-Rock Jet sig.

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Have a Jetter Gold on my board and it has not been bumped off yet ...
    It replaced my GSR (which I totally luv) .. simply because it cuts through the mix better at super loud volumes ...

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I had the JS green and was not Impressed at all it was far from being a high gain pedal or at least high gain that I like, but there are many people that dig those pedals!

11. Guinness Lad

I just received the Purple and red today. I went in thinking one would be gone right away but they both have their strengths. Both pedals sound best to me so far with lower gain settings. I also like to keep the tone control between 10 and 2 but usually no higher then 12. I don't think the strength of these pedals lies in higher gain, but for real type amp tones they seem to be really sweet from first appearances, only time and a couple live shows well tell for sure.

Positives

Red - great slightly gainy sound thickens up a bright amp like the Tone King and gives it some girth without ruining the tone or making it overly bassy like the OCD. I like both the soft and hard settings but probably prefer the soft slightly. In the hard mode the pedal definitely lets the brightness out more. Great pedal to leave on all the time and turn up for solos. The high end of both these pedals is far superior to the OCD and BB Preamp.

Purple - A lot more output then the red, this one will kill your amp where the Red doesn't have as much of a volume boost (perhaps because there's less gain?). This pedal I like with the gain set lower again.

Odd things to note - The volume control seems to not do much as you rotate it then you will hit a certain spot and it will jump dramatically. You need to be aware of this and keep tweaking accordingly. Do not walk into this pedal with the attitude of all my pedals I set this way, because you will miss out.

I guess I can understand a bit of the wet blanket statement but I think it's more the thickening then the high end loss. The tone and gain controls also seem to take on different characteristics depending on how the volume is set. Lots to investigate over the coming weeks.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Harry....so which of these "does it's thing" better? Right off hand do you prefer the tone of the Red or Purple more?

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

It's actually busted ... it fell on it's face and the switch is now fixed in place and for some reason it's not giving me that great sound I luv ..

The GS Gold is very close in tone ... however it has more gain and cut on tap ...

I do plan on getting a new GSR soon ... it's the best of the dumble sounding pedals I've used yet ...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. Guinness Lad

This is a tough one right now as I haven't had them for but a day. I find the voicing to be similar enough at lower gain settings to group them in the same family but they do differ. I kind of dig the Red in the soft mode with one guitar but then when I grab another guitar the purple sounds great. This is going to be tough to figure out.

I might keep the red just because of the soft/hard switch but then again the purple has more gain and output, I need more time. I think I'll have a better idea after a couple practices.

15. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I have Green and I love it. I use 3 pedals. Green, a vintage TS9 and an old DD-3 and I'm set. Green cleans up well with the volume knob. I think it sounds great.

16. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Your experience sounds like mine with the GSBlue. I heard the demo's..recieved it and couldnt get a good sound out of it. Litterally. I tried it through a Peavey Delta blues, Lil Dawg and my Budda SD45. I actually thought it was bad. I wasnt able to try it with large volume on the amp though. Anyway, sent it back to Pedal Geek and they tried it and said it was fine.

I'm still running the GS REd and GS black and really dig them. GS Red sounds good with any amp..but black sounds fizzy with my 68 Fender Super Reverb. I really think you should try that Purple with another amp just to know for sure. Hell, even if you dont have another amp...just try it with someone elses so you can tell US how it sounds. I've been considering the Purple becuase supposedly its a better match for Fender amps.

17. Bucksears

Well, I changed my power tubes on Sunday and that made a big difference in the way the Super reacted to pedals overall.
    But......the Purple still didn't win me over. The sound is a LITTLE clearer now, but it's not a keeper for me.
    I know they aren't the same at all, but my BSIAB II sounded AMAZING after the tube change. HUGE sound and really filled up the amp (some distortion pedals sound like they're coming from the center of the speaker, ya know?)
    Same goes for my Dr. Boogey; much more bass and 'chunk' now.

It's ok - I recently got a Menatone WMB that didn't do it for me either.

18. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Not played a Purple but having owned a TGP Black and currently still using my GSR I find it hard to believe the Purple is dark sounding. My experience is when you have the Hard switch engaged Brad's peddles are anything but dark. The Old Black in JCM800 mode with a Hard On was too bright for me to be honest. My GSR with Hard On is perfect, and it cuts like a knife with my setup. I expect Tubes or other factors might be your issue, maybe pickups are dark to begin with on your guitar.

But to each their own, no one said you should like it. And more power to you. I am sure you'll get something that works for you. :AOK

19. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Why'd you sell your black?

20. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Just got a Purple too...nice fat tone, as othjers have said. I tend to run the tone fairly high, as I do with the other Jetters. Lucidology hit it on the head...I also find the Gold to have a bit more punch than the Red, but both have quite similar tone. The Purple has a more tight Marshally flavor--I like it.

FWIW, the Black didn't work for me...that one might be closer to an OCD (but I prefer the OCD). The Blue was cool but suffered loss in a purge. :)

Greg