Got my new Budda Sd45...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Jun 16, 2006.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I've owned an SD30 for about a year. Excellent, incredible amp. I would have been perfectly happy with that amp for years and years...until I talked to someone and they said that the SD45 had those few little things that I was missing in the SD30: a bit more open sounding and a bit more upper end mids (less dark). Well, it appears that they were right.

The Sd45 is a bit heavier but its still very light compared to most heads. Thats one of the great things about the Budda's: aluminum chassis. It came with Groove Tube KT66's and Sovtek preamp tubes. THe rectifier is a no name chinese. (Note: I put a GT rectifier in my Sd30 to replace the EH rectifier and it DID make a nice difference!).

Soundwise it is definitely LOUD! Louder then the SD30 by quite a bit. I actually prefer the 30 watt power of the 30 better as I could turn it up a bit more to get the tubes to work a bit harder. The overall sound on the 45 is a bit more open and airy and less "jangly and chimey" on the clean than the SD30. It really is more old school Marshall sounding than the SD30. The drive channel supposedly has a bit more gain on tap than the SD30 but its a different kind of gain... The 30 is relatively dark sounding while the 45 is brighter. The 30 howerver retains that "creamyness" that alot of players really like while the 45 is a bit more "in your face" with the upper end mids.

Long story short...both are incredible, incredible amps. Gigging tonight with both so I'll have a bit more info after tonight. Can only keep one..but am leaning towards the 45 right now.

2. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I love the heck outta mine - awesome amp. Do post your results; I'm curious as to what you find.

peace,

jb

3. kingsxman

Gigged last night with SD45 for 2 sets and Sd30 for 1.

SD45: Much brighter and cuts through a bit more. There were however times that it was a bit TOO bright and harsh whne on the clean channel with pedals. I had left my pedal settings (blues driver and Tonebone classic) set at the same settings as the SD30. In particular the blues driver I had to dial back the tone setting so the bite didnt rip my head off. I had to set the treble a bit higher than I like as I found that on the drive channel it didnt have as much bite as on the clean. here's what I ended up with for settings:
    Master: 9:00
    Bass: 9:00
    Mids: 10:00
    Treble: 2:00

Changing over to the Sd30 the sound was a bit smoother..but lacking the bite. I only used the drive channel for 1 song that set and while it sounded great...I preferred the SD45's overall openess.

Long story short...they both are incredible amps. Bit better individual note definition on chords with SD45. SD30 smoother and less "spikey".

4. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the review
    Tell ya what - if the SD45 is too bright for you, Jeff will tweak its tone-stack. That said - what speakers are you using?
    I've never gigged with an SD-30, I'll have to try one, one of these days. Thinking about it, Jeff Bober uses an SD-30 for smaller gigs and an SD-45 for big venues..

Peace,

jb

5. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

My brand new combo is for sale, pm me if anyone is interested!

6. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well

I thought I would be able to get my sd18 master right up after I got it....cause I already have the sd80.........Wrong!!!!!!!!

That budda sd18 hangs with any drummer.........has a looser feel and darker vibe but volume wise it's there for any onstage sound requirements..............
    I'm always miked for an even guitar spread so I don't need it for FoH.

The other day at a large outdoor venue I had the sd80 with a Hotplate on -4 master at 9 oclock and a fullplexi glass in front of my amp and the sound guy still told me to turn down.........When does anybody ever need the volume of an sd80 anymore.
    I guess I just like the way it feels and bigger amps have better bass response.

Often people refer to this one cuts even more than that amp.
    I reckon an amp should not be judged on how it cuts thru the mix.....but more on how it feels and sounds.
    It's easy to cut any amp thru any mix with a little outboard or onboard EQ.

Well with my sd80 and 18 and your sd30 and 45 we've got everything from a bar to an arena covered.
    I also used to have the sd30 by the way.........

can't wait for the sd5....he he he

Cheers
    Rick

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I have to disagree. I've found numerous amps that sound great in the bedroom but garbage on stage for this reason. Cutting through is more than being heard, but is also having all the frequencies present for good tone. I've also heard plenty of metalish type bands with their 5150 gone from the sound. You can tell its there, but between the drummer's symbols and bass player, they are just gone from and fullness in their sound.

BUT on the same note, I've found that the same amps that "cut through" are the amps with the best tone. They just seem to be voiced correctly.

8. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yeah but then again you'll go see another band perform and think...........gee his 5150 is sounding phenomenal...........full and present in the mix............
    It may not be the amp......just the individuals approach to setting his sound up.
    I also reckon some amps can cut too much in context with the rest of the band..............Sometimes we need to slot into the mix and not have to cut thru......this often means having an experienced and considerate band.
    The band,the room etc are sometimes the predetermining factors which make the amp 'cut'.........Otherwise to be safe you could just get an amp that cuts thru whatever is thrown at it........that may not be the amp I'm looking for........because we have to decide what is it that's cutting thru.

Maybe it's just people that don't cut it instead of amps that don't cut..............Damn!!!!! now I've got blood on my hands...he he he

Cheers
    Rick

9. kingsxman

I think you both are right. Some of each. But the amp does make a difference... Plus it depends on if you've got another guitar player or not to fight over for sound.

10. kingsxman

Hey Troubleman, what cab you using? I'm debating on changing from my bogner oversized 2x12 (vin30's) to a Budda 4x12. Got a rip in grill cloth so I'd want to get new grille cloth. Thinking a Marshall salt and pepper might look really good with Budda logo....but wondering if Tone would suffer from thick weave. Might actually allow me to open amp up more. Who knows...