Got my Palmer PDI-03

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by derekmitts, Oct 11, 2005.

1. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

just got my 03 today. it sounds awesome. i ran out of my xtc classic into the pga-04 and then thru to the pdi-03, ran them both into a roland vs machine into mackie 824 monitors.

there is a night and day difference between these two. the 03 can not duplicate the subtle things in the 03 that make it sound so great. the 03 has a little more airiness in the top end, a more musical midrange and low end has more of a cabinet "thump" to it as opposed to a looser rounder low end of the 04.

i'm not discounting the 04 by any means. there are great sounds to be had in the 04 but i really like the 03. it has more of a "distance" to it, if that makes sense. it has more air to it as where the 04 sounds really up front and in your face. the 04 also has quite a bit more output than the 03.

well, i just thought i'd post a review of it for anyone that's interested. i'm going to be using it for the next few weeks in a live situation so i'll report back on that when i see how it goes.

obtw, this is the new reissue

2. js54

js54 Member

This Palmer is very interesting...

So how does it sound on clean tones?

Is it really as good as having a speaker?

Got any clips yet?

3. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

clean tones are good, i think you may be able to dial in some more sparkle with the 04 but the cleans are cleaner with the 03. my 04 had this nasty digital sounding breakup in the high end. pretty useless.

i have never posted sound clips but i would love to. if anyone can help me out with that it would be appreciated.

the store i work at has the roland machines so i can do a quick clip and make a cd but how do i post it?

thanks for any info

4. js54

js54 Member

5. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

thanks for the info!

6. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

BTW... same amp, same settings!!

Naylor SuperDrive 60 w/ Suhr Classic!

7. js54

js54 Member

I like the Palmer better...on my computer speakers it sounds more like a guitar and less "direct".

I guess the ultimate test is to have a 3rd clip with the same amp/guitar going through a real speaker.

8. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

tonefreak,

how do you set your palmer?

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

No contest, the speaker sounded much better than what the Motherload could create. Totally different sound!

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Sorry, I have no idea... I did these clips about a year ago and no longer have either of the units. I remember I could get the Motherload to sound like the Palmer 04, but not vice versa. Motherload has a lot more flexibility to it than the Palmers, but it also costs more.

I got fed-up and sold them both...

11. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

man, i just got back from practice tonight. the pdi-03 sounded great. it cuts so much better than my 04 ever did. i always use my in ears but i run direct at church sometimes when the choir is up because i really can't have my 412 up there with all the choir mics so running direct is about my only choice. i really wasn't missing anything from my tone. i would always be like.. eehhh... something just not right when i was running the 04. it always sounded real refined and round where as the 03 seems more raw sounding.

over all, i'm really impressed and the pga-04 and my pdi-09 will probably be for sale soon.