Got my Performer 4.5 upgrade

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lhallam, Dec 4, 2004.

1. lhallam

lhallam Member

this Friday and so far, I'm very pleased with this release. From the new window layout to the ability to go straight to mp3 through LAME and some nice drums samples & sounds on the Extra disc.

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

If I have a drum sample that isn't labelled beats per minute, is there any other way of telling BPM besides guestimating?

I'm using Digital Performer 4.5 on a Mac.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

You could try matching Performer's click to the tempo.

I have 4.5 also, and bought OSX to load onto my machine. Of course, I can't load OSX with my G4 processor card. So I have to get a new machine.

Which sucks, mine works fine otherwise.

4. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered my 4.5 upgrade on Friday (I hadn't upgraded since v3.0). Of course, I'll have to start saving for a G5 to get the most out of native processing, as I'm selling off my Pro Tools MIX hardware. The cycle never ends...

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

The guy I often partner with is selling off his pro tools hardware, too. He just bought a G5 and uses DP.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

This is how I do it.

Trim your sample (I'm assuming it's a loop?) very carefully into exactly a one bar soundbite.
    Select the soundbite and choose "Set Soundbite Tempo" from the audio menu.
    In the "length" pane enter the length of the loop in beats i.e. 4|000 for a bar of 4/4.
    DP will calculate the tempo.

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

Cool, I'll give it a try tonight, thanks for saving me lots of reading and trial and error.

I messed with 4.5 all weekend. It's the best release yet. I've got a couple of complaints using the new sticky window layout but all-in-all I find it useful.

If you don't know, you can now bounce directly to MP3 below cut and pasted from MOTU site (note only supported by 4.5):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To enabled this, you need to have the LAME.framework installed on your system. The LAME.framework is not included with DP. It is open source software that can be downloaded free of charge. Try searching Google or VersionTracker for "LAME Framework" to download it. Follow the instructions that are included with it to install.

The LAME.framework should be placed in /Library/Frameworks.
    If you do not see LAME Audio Export: MP3 as a choice when you Bounce to Disk or Export Selected bites, the LAME.framework is not installed, or it is installed in the Library of another user. Relocate the LAME.framework to the global /Libary/Frameworks folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried it at it works great, plus it appears LAME supports 4800 sampling rates. I haven't tried converting a 4800 soundbite yet.

I've got a G4 733, 512 MB ram, OSX Panther and DP works fine.

I did manage to freeze DP once but got out of it using the OSX task manager.

8. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    I installed 4.5 a week and a half ago. I'm using it with an PTHD rig. So far this makes 4.12 look like the piece of crap that it was. It's great to have a usable version of DP on OSX (knuckles rapping on wood). However, after working in PT for over a year now it's become really apparent how unelegant DP is in handling audio and how unelegant PT is at handling MIDI. Somewhere (and not in Nuendo land, been there) all will be handled well and relatively crash free. It's amazing to me that pro audio recording programs seem to be pretty much released in their beta state. More QC PLLLEASE!

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

I have been a Pro Tools user for several years and have recently been interested in DP 4.5 . I understand how DP is superior to PT in the MIDI department but I am curious to know about the audio side. Can you give me some examples of what you find "unelegant" about audio in DP 4.5?

:confused: