Got my powerbook....

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MagnumSSS, Feb 23, 2005.

1. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Well, after all my talk, I finally bought my powerbook. It's a 1.5 Ghz, combo drive with 1 gig of RAM. This thing smokes! The only issue so far is that when the laptop wakes up from sleep the mousepad or keyboard sometimes need a minute to wake up later. It's a slight worry, but has never been a serious problem so far.

So, Protools, Logic, or Digital Performer? Just kidding.....;-)

I'm going with Logic Pro 7, but it's gonna take a couple months until I get the $. I'm also pretty sure I'll use the Presonus Firebox for my little audio interface.

I'll give an update once I'm using Logic Pro 7 on my powerbook since this doesn't seem to be a very common setup for people here.

Mag

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Interesting - I'd say it's probably not your trackpad or keyboard taking longer to wake up, it's more likely the computer/OS 'waiting' until the hard drive is spun all the way up. All 3 of the G4 towers I use (all OSX.3) do the same thing - after waking, neither the keyboard nor mouse (trackball in my case) will work immediately every time.

In other words, I don't think it's a problem :)

--chiba

3. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

That's good news. I'm glad I'm not alone on that. Your reasoning makes sense, so I'll go with that for now.

4. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    I run Logic Pro 7 on both my G4 tower (very old) and my newer G4 iBook. No problems on either, albeit a little laggy on the tower.

I doubt you'd run into any problems with the Logic.

5. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

A friend of mine was running a G4 with Logic 7 and BFD. With all the various plug-ins and effects running the G4 was bogging down. He just upgraded to the G5 dual processor.

6. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Hmmmm.....two different experiences. How many tracks/effects do you guys use? Do you use the Freeze Track function?

Mag

7. eugewong

eugewong Member

my tower is G4 400mhz, 512mg Ram. so that's pretty slow

ibook is Gz 1.33ghz, 1.2mb RAM, no problems so far... but i normally work off my tower.

the tower isn't bulletproof...so far the furthest i've pushed it is about 26-27 tracks..roughly an EQ an a comp/limiter on each track and a couple of reverbs. I can overload it, it'll tell me the cpu is too slow or something, so i take a little care not to let that happen.

I just bought a UAD-1 card to take some pressure off the cpu.

And yes...the first chance i get, i'll get a dual G5 too.... but i don't have that kind of coin lying around.

8. eugewong

eugewong Member

i failed to mention that i DON'T use Space Designer.

that single plug can overload my processor.

also, that i use a MOTU 828mkII via firewire with both my macs...which might explain why i can still function, i remember reading somewhere that the 828MkII has a dsp chip in it that helps with some of the audio, so some processing is taken off the CPU. I'm not so sure about this, but i'm not complaining...

9. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Why would one need to run BFD if Logic has a great drum machine built in? why not just get more sampled drums/kits to use with Logic?

10. Orren

Orren Member

Different beasts.

BFD is just a drum sample playback module, but it allows for unprecidented tone shaping, mic placement emulation, and so on. It offers an amazing variety of ways to shape the sample.

UltraBeat in Logic is an amazingly deep and rich drum synthesizer. It allows you to take the output of an oscillator and shape it into an electronic drum sound. It gives you amazing options for modulations, filters, and envelopes to modify your sound. While it is capable of sample playback, it doesn't really offer you any real "sample shaping" other than to run it through it's filters and processing.

So if you want an acoustic drum module, BFD is currently king of the hill. If you want to program electronic drums yourself, UltraBeat is as deep as you can get.

Orren

11. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Orren, that's good insight. I definitely fall into the acoustic drum world as I want to make real life drum patterns in the styles of jazz/rock/funk/reggae/country/etc. Seems like BFD is better for me then.

Isn't BFD a RAM based application? If I have 1 Gig of RAM, should that suffice?

12. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

13. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I was reading about BFD earlier today and notice some users upgraded to 4gb or more to keep the samples from being truncated.

14. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

That's just crazy in my opinion. There must be an easier way to do drum machine work. Ummmm.....Band in a Box maybe? With high quality samples?

15. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

BFD will run on a gig. I have run it with only 768MB of RAM. You may have to compromise a bit though - use 16 bit mode, bounce early and often, etc.

16. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

I feel like contacting Fxpansion, but I'm not sure if I'll get a straight answer about BFD's performance on a Mac.....

So, BFD aside.......I still need a great drum machine for doing NON-electronica stuff. I'm saving up $ for software right now, and am planning on using Logic. Orren, when you say Ultrbeat is focused more toward electronic beats, is this becuase it's primary features are modulation/sonic shaping and lacks the mic placement/kits of BFD?

I guess a better question would be, if one were to NOT go with BFD, what would one recommend for a OS X platform in regards to a software drum Machine? Reason?

17. Orren

Orren Member

That sounds about right. I got one of the very first review copies of BFD ever shipped to the USA, and I couldn't really get it happening on my G4. When I spoke to Angus at FXPansion about it, his advice was to load it in my PC. "You can run it on a G4," he said, "but you really won't be happy unless you have a G5." (I didn't have my G5 at that point).

That is very solid advice. The current version of BFD (1.0.10.15) is very much more stable and optimized for the Mac than the original version, but this still requires a lot of CPU and RAM to really play nice with others. It plays nice with Logic on my machine...but I have a dual G5/2.0Ghz w/2.5GB RAM.

Orren

18. Orren

Orren Member

Under Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, that's kind of overkill.

In Panther, no application can access more than 2GB RAM. When running BFD as a plug-in inside a host application, it has to access RAM from within that host application's partition--which is maximum 2GB. Now, if you have 4GB in your G5, that means the host gets 2GB, and the Finder/other applications get 2GB. But beyond that, you are not benefiting either the host application, or even the Finder.

I guess if someone wants to run Photoshop, Quark Xpress, and other applications that require very large amounts of RAM at the same time an audio sequencer is running, they might want 2GB for the audio program, 2GB for the Finder, and 2GB for the other applications. But I have a hard time imagining how anyone can be doing both serious audio recording and desktop publishing simultaneously...

Orren

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

No issues on PC...as a rewire divice with covalution plugs as well! :)

20. eugewong

eugewong Member

If money is an issue, Logic has a couple more ways that you can have your drums...

The logic sampler has drums in there, although they aren't VERY good...

Also, with osX and Logic 7, you have access to :-

1) Apple Loops, which are a great tool for writing/practicing, just fooling around, but definitely has it's professional possibilities.
    2) Garage Band instruments, which include about 6-7 GBand Drum kits. Some of which are really very useable.

So, i guess i'm trying to say that right off the bat, without much extra software investment, you do already have a bunch of very useable drum sounds at your disposal.