Got my RC-20XL...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Nov 30, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendations! I got an RC-20XL today, second-hand but totally unused (better than mint) at a great price.

Plugged in and had backing tracks going in less than a minute. What a blast! This is so needed for the jazz tunes and improv stuff I am working on now. How did I go so long without a tool like this?

Maybe it's just the "newness" effect, but man, I can see myself wearing this freak'in thing out (or maybe the other way around!).

Thanks again guys!

2. drolling

drolling Member

Nope. I started looping on a tape deck w/a disabled erase head over 30 years ago & I'm still at it every day.

These new machines are like jumping in to the deep end!

3. Megatron

Megatron Member

I picked up a Jamman about a month ago. I picked it up mainly as a tool for improv but might use it down the line for acoustic gigs.

Now that I have it I can't believe I've went so long with out one. It's become a staple of my daily practice.

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Love my Loop Station....best thing about it is that I took the funds for it out of my lesson money instead of my gear money because it is such a great learning tool.

Get yourself an octave pedal to lay down some bass on your jazz tracks.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I love mine! It took me a few months to get it right, but now I can sync my tap tempo (using my foot) with a metronome at practically any setting, which in turn made the rest of my playing more in time. Loopers are the best practise tool ever

Congrats on getting your own!

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Can't wait to have the time to really explore all of the RC-20XL features. Apparently, there's lots of 'em!!

7. drolling

drolling Member

I suggest you get the FS-5U footswitch to add some hands-free functionality to the looper. I use one to throw a phrase into reverse but I believe it can be programmed to perform other functions.

If you're handy w/a soldering iron you could probably make onbe for a bout 5 bucks in parts.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I believe you would need two Boss switches to use all of the remote features at once. I bought a 3-switch box on eBay for $40 that will engage the reverse function as well as scroll through the loops (you need a stereo cable for that function, though)...

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

drolling:
    What hands-free functions are available only via a footswitch?

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey, I figured some of it out.

You can scroll through loops and control the forward/backward function.

Sounds cool, but is it really worthwhile?

11. drolling

drolling Member

Depends on your application. As a practice tool, probably not. But if you're using it to provide accompaniment in a performance situation, you'd need it to click thru' your backing tracks.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Got it.

Thanks!

13. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

I just picked one of these up today.
    Unfortunately had no time to play with it....damn Law presentations.....but tomorrow night I'm gonna learn me how to loop!

14. stompbox

stompbox Member

I love mine, of course i am still on my honey moon with it, but this thing is one of my better guitar purchases i have made.... i like it lots!

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

"best thing about it is that I took the funds for it out of my lesson money instead of my gear money because it is such a great learning tool."

I like the way you think!

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Great to hear BillyK!!

A looper for practice is a MUST!!! You are so right, I couldn't live without one. There are a lot of great ones out there, I'm just pretty satisfied with my LS XL.

Put a Major Jazz Blues and a Minor Jazz blues on it for warming up improv, then record about 5 or 6 keys of ii-V-I ‘s in it. You'll spend hours working passing tones and arpeggios substitutions!!! Then grab a “fake book” and lay down some standards.

Cool!

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

You just described my weekend!
    -bk

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Also, I just purchased a momentary switch from phatgraphics4dm4 on eBay. Great price!

Again, it was a recommendation from this forum.

Am I correct to say that you need a stereo cable to connect a RC-20XL to a dual pedal?

19. Bruce

Bruce Member

Or a Y-Cable that split's from stereo into 2 monos depending on how the footswitch is set up. For instance, the Boss FS-6 works either way. You can use it with a Y-Cable or a stereo cable. The cable is a lot easier to deal with plus you can get one at Radio Shack.