Got my Suhr Classic back today with the SSC retrofit and . . .

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mentalfloss, Jul 11, 2006.

1. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

. . . it was well worth the wait and expense. Have there been too many raves about the SSC system already? Sorry to pile on. It's all true.

2. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

Is there any reason that you didn't install it yourself? I'm asking this question, as I would like to install the unit in several guitars, but I'll also have to put in non-reverse woumd middle pickups. It was my understanding that basic soldering skills are all that is necessary. Anyone want to chime in?

3. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

dank - what your thinking of is the backplate system, which isn't the same as the retrofit. Here's some basic info on the backplate:

http://fralinpickups.com/bpssc.asp

I have no idea what is done by the folks at Suhr to install the full fledged silent single coil system, but am interested. Someone else want to chime in?

:BEER

4. dank

Now I'm confused; what more is involved with thr retrofit?

5. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...I used have two Suhr's that John retrofited the SSC into...it's a tedious process where Suhr makes a small route around the pickup cavity. I doubt anyone else can do it themselves...at least at this point.

6. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

Thanks Leucadian - I haven't seen a definitive thread on this subject, and have read various explanations. I appreciate your response.

7. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...you're welcome! When I had it done...late last summer and fall...John was doing the retrofits himself. Like I said, it's tedious and time consuming...after all, it does involve cutting into the body of the guitar...so...

...go to the Suhr website and/or forum and there will be more details...call Suhr...talk to Ed Yoon...he'll set you up!:AOK

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

If you have a Suhr they will fit the SSC into the body instead of adding it to the backplate.
    It's more effective than the SSC backplate, which will get rid of 80% of hum.

9. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

In addition to it being a more involved process because of the route, the results are different in that the retrofit achieves greater noise reduction than the backplate solution (so say the Suhr folks). The V60LPs in my Classic are now as quiet (at least) as humbuckers. It's really just sensational.

10. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

At the risk of confirming any suspisions that I'm a absolute dumbass, I'll let it be known that I actually own a Suhr Classic with the SSC installed. Just haven't gotten around to taking the pickguard off to have a look under the hood, but will try to do so this weekend, and maybe post some pics if anyone's interested. For the record, I'm extremely happy with the system - no effect on the tone as far as I can tell. Haven't tried the backplate, but have another Classic that I'll probably throw one on when I can afford it.

11. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

Thank you Ed for posting your response. I'll leave mine alone. I know from the Suhr Forum how busy things are with you all, but are there any plans to post a pictorial step-by-step on what the installation process for the full blown system looks like? I can't be the only one wondering how it goes in and what it looks like under the pg, and being completely ignorant of potential confidentiality issues that may be involved, I had to ask...

12. dank

Isn't the installed version siginificantly more expensive than the backplate version?

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Yes, plus don't forget the cost of shipping the guitar coast to coast. There use to be a thread where John broke down the costs and giving some discounts for buying the necessary pickups. I couldn't find it. It may have been lost with the server crash? I know it was a $500 list/~$350 street option when I bought my new classic S. I *think* it has gone up to $700 list but I'm not positive.

Let me know if you want to check it out. I think we're retty close to each other. I have both a S & T with the factory SSC.

Joe

14. lbw

lbw Member

I'd love to see some photos.

15. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I don't how it works, or what it looks like under my pickguard, I just know it works.

16. lbw

lbw Member

Easy on with the hard sell there John :crazy. A CAA OD-50 and a Suhr Classic are on my list. :) Do I get a discount for cohersion? :Spank

17. lbw

lbw Member

I read in another thread from a dealer selling the SSC back plate that the pickups need to be in the order of 6-8k. Does this mean the SSC system can not be used with single coils connected in series or with a regular humbucker?

18. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Not sure about the "in series", but I know the system can be used with a humbucker in the bridge. A wiring diagram can be obtained for that setup.

19. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

By in series do you mean the notch (4 and 2) positions? It does work in those and all positions.

20. lbw

lbw Member

No, those positions (on a regular switching Stratocaster) are in parallel.