1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Got Raytheons?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, May 12, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I was just doing an inventory of some of the tubes Ive bought and realised I had a lot of these! Not one tested bad either. If theres one old stock tube I'd trust its these.[​IMG]

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

One of my top 3 favorite 12AX7s!! I'm crazy about these: twangy clarity, early breakup to beautiful harmonic distortion - just fantastic tubes.

What in the world are you going to do with all those??

- T

3. brad347

brad347 Member

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I dont know. I went kind of crazy buying tubes....At 8-12 $ a tube they seemed like a great deal.I NEEDED MORE! lol! ....I'll probably have to sell some in the future....

5. Timbre Wolf

I hope you can become real familiar with the different preamp tube types you've got - their strong/weak points, what you like (with which amp/position/guitar), etc.

It can take quite a while to grok the different flavors, and it will be a lot of work (albeit fun work). I think of that process as if it were a master's degree program. It will be very useful for attuning yourself to the details of tube amp behavior, which can be endlessly rewarding.

Take your time - the value of the tubes will only rise in the meantime.

- T

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah its a real learning experience for sure! Ive noticed I prefer certain types of tubes for the initial (tone shaping)gain stages and certain ones for the(distortion shaping) V-2 spots. One of my current favorites for the V-1 is a Siemens.Seems to give a big full tone without sharp high end .

7. Timbre Wolf

I haven't tried any Siemens 12AX7s. Only so much time and $ to deal with ;)

Right now, I'm kinda on a 12AU7/5814 kick, with a minor 12BH7 side exploration. Cheaper thrills!

- T

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

About as low gain as I go is 12AT7. Speaking of lower gain tubes. I have a 6072-Is that a 12AY7?

9. thid

thid Member

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

11. Timbre Wolf

Duncan Amps shows it as a 12AY7 sub, though there is a slight difference. There are a couple of other tube data links at WeberVST's Tubes board.

Personally, I'm more familiar with a 7062 than 6072!

- T