Got scammed on Reverb.com ...uggh

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by budglo58, Jul 23, 2015.

1. big_aug

big_aug Member

Great to hear Reverb took care of it. I feel so much better dealing on there now.

budglo58 likes this.
  2. old goat

old goat Member

Pretty much guaranteed that every time somebody posts about a fake, poor service from a boutique builder, a guitar trashed in transit, etc., someone like you will crawl out of the woodwork to blame the victim.

kbgear, gkoelling, fazen and 2 others like this.
  3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

"Everyone looks for a deal" is exact the kind of person P.T. Barnum was talking about. He was proven right again here.

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yes the jackasses come out in droves evidently . See above.

5. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

sorry you got a bum deal. glad you're getting your money back. now to the real issue. dude i'm far from an expert but could clearly see in the pics that that neck wasn't a 60s neck. research is your friend, i highly recommend you do more before buying vintage again.

vibrasonic likes this.
  6. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Without question. Agreed.

7. agquake

agquake Supporting Member

Well, it does say 1960s, not "'60s", as in the series. Also, it is listed in the Vintage pre-1980 section. Seller should have to take it back without any hesitation, regardless of the obvious attributes in the photos indicating that it is not what it is listed as.

8. airportbar

airportbar Member

But it has truss rod access in headstock?!

9. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

Oh really? Or what? LOL!!!! You are funny.

The guy did list it as 'Pre 1980' and the Chinese body was not made pre 80. The lister was wrong on this account. Its hard to say if saying "1960s Surf Green" was meaning that it was the guitar was 1960s or it was 60's Surf Green". I dont mean to split hairs the listing was pretty sketchy.

I am very anti scammers but there comes a point when the buyer has some element of responsibility when making a high end purchase to do due diligence to know what they are buying. Clearly accurate fakes are the bane of the vintage industry but this is not in the 'clearly accurate fake' category. This is worst fake I have seen in years; there are sooooo many things wrong with this guitar there is no way anyone should of thought this was authentic (its really that obvious).

You may not like what I am saying but I have a point. I am sorry you thought you were getting a real 60s guitar for 1k, that would of been sweet if it were true.

Ill I am saying is if it looks too good.

Cheers.

~JH

vibrasonic likes this.
  10. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

I'm with OP. Granted, i'm very careful before buying a guitar online but the ad should've been worded completely differently.

11. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Thankfully your opinion means squat to me , so I will take it as that . I will leave it at that.

kbgear likes this.
  12. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

As others have kind of suggested... Best to do your research as best you can when purchasing something online.
    If you have any doubts, ask VERY specific questions... and if you cannot see the item very well ask for more detailed photos. What year was it made ?... Any specific markings on any of the parts ? ... What kind/size of frets specifically ? etc, etc....

Vague descriptions make me want more specific info and leave much room for doubt.

13. redstrand

redstrand Member

The listing is vague at best and the price is a giveaway. OP it can happen to anyone, I've received items over the years that weren't as advertised. Reverb is a good place to buy and sell from. Anything vintage ask for pics pics and more pics...when I sold my Grabber I provided 25 extra to detail everything. Pays to be careful and to grill the person who made the ad.

14. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

The listing wouldn’t lead me to believe anything about it is 60s vintage. In your defense, to say “60s Fender Stratocaster/Partcaster” is misleading, but the title “Fender Stratocaster 1960s Surf Green” would only lead me to think that its a 60’s color.

15. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Weeeellll... it appears that this guitar was misrepresented, in the fact that he says it's a 60's Fender Strat - which implies that it IS a Fender. But when I see the term "partscaster", I automatially assume a "replica", built from aftermarket parts - maybe using a couple of OEM pieces, or maybe not even that. He does not explicitly state though, that the PARTS are from the 60's, or that they were even taken from a real Strat. He just says that the body and neck are "older". As somebody else pointed out, that doesn't mean a thing. And the fact that it's listed as a 60's Strat Partscaster, could simply mean it was built from parts to replicate a 60's Fender Strat. The very fact the trussrod access is in the peghead (clearly visible in the photo), should be an immediate tip off, that it's either a newer Fender or an aftermarket neck - but definitely not from the 60's. And the fact that the condition is listed as "Very Good", also implies that somebody was just building themselves a "relic" - because that guitar is obviously beat to ****. If it was an orignal in that condition, there is no way they could classify it as "very good". Don't know how much direct communication you had with the seller, but aside from the obvious red flags, if you were still determined to buy the guitar, I would have somehow gotten written confirmation from him, that you were buying what you thought - an authentic Fender Strat made from non-matching 60's Stratocaster parts. But the bottom line is the price. Even it it was made from non-matching but original 60's Fender parts - even just the body and neck - it would be worth significantly more than $1000. You don't get something for nothing. Looks to me like you bought a "replica" Surf Green 60's Fender Strat (highly relic'd). Luckily, however, you are getting your money back. Caveat emptor.

RCCola likes this.
  16. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I would not buy a purported "vintage" Fender instrument without excellent pics. Including gut shots and neck off shots

Bad pics are a huge red flag for me..

Edit: I just saw the ad. There are enough text and pics for me to determine that this was a 60s relic reproduction of some kind, not a partscaster made of 60s parts. I too think direct communication with seller may have helped. I too believe 1000 bux is way to low for actual 60s parts.

The ad was somewhat misleading in the title but I saw nothing in the text that indicated this was an actual 60s strat of any kind.

Live and learn I guess. Im glad OP is getting his money back.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  17. old goat

old goat Member

While it behooves the buyer to be as educated as possible about vintage guitars before buying one, that does not relieve the seller of the obligation of accurately representing what he is selling. Some buyers are more educated than others. Only a very educated buyer should be buying vintage from Craigslist or ebay. The rest of us should buy from reputable dealers who should be verifying what they offer for sale; that's one reason to pay more to buy from a dealer. That's what the OP did and it paid off. Had he bought direct from the seller he would have a much harder time getting his money back.

18. Yogi_Sizzle

Yogi_Sizzle Member

a glance at a couple of pictures and the description clearly state the guitar isn't a true vintage example. I'm glad you are getting your money back but if you thought that guitar was anything remotely genuine you need to spend some more time researching older Fenders. I know that comes off as harsh, but I mean it in a sincere way. That was probably one of the least convincing fakes I've ever seen. Anytime anyone says ", I do not have a serial number on the neck or the body" or they pull the line " I don't know much about guitars or this guitar" they are trying feign ignorance in order to get over on you.

RCCola, amstrtatnut and budglo58 like this.
  19. rockitcity

rockitcity Member

I just looked at the ad. Kinda looks like a skanky relic to me. Could be old. Did you find out any of the particulars of what it actually was? Personally, I don't think I'd want that in my house let alone play it, but different strokes and all. Probably smells like old cigarettes and beer. Ewww...

20. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yeah it actually is a reworked Squire POS.Honestly can't imagine anyone playing that . It was a total piece of shite.