Got some new picks! - pics&reviews

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by robbert, Oct 3, 2006.

1. robbert

robbert Member

[​IMG]

I ordered some picks from the german company Tone Toys who were very helpful through e-mail!

They just came in today so the "reviews" are just from playing for about 45 minutes.

You can click on the pictures to go to their corresponding links to the tone toys web site if you want.

[​IMG]
    Vintage Ebonite pick

This one is about 0,7 thick but it's stronger than the thickness might imply. I find it to be very nice, well balanced nice warm clear tone, quite bright but not in a bad way; nice treble. I believe this one is quite close the the picks Robert Fripp uses, very nice triangle shape for fast picking.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Helios Artis Ebonite 2mm Pergamon

This one is thick and strong and when compared to the pick above it sounds darker but not too dark. The attack of this pick is my favorite of the bunch, it's hard to explain but it feels very soft when hitting the string and sound really warm. I read somewhere Ebonite is old indian rubber so it makes sense. The 2mm thickness definitely contributes to this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Wegenpicks ToneToys Triangle

These are comparable to the Vintage Ebonite pick, these are 0.8mm and the Vintage Ebonite pick is 0.7mm. The Vintage Ebonite pick feel a bit harder and stiffer though which translates to the sound, but it's hardly noticeable unless you play them side by side.

[​IMG]
    Pickboy Jazz

These are comparable to Dunlop Jazz III, I have a red and a black one to compare them to. I like these better because they are clean and they have smooth edges and the sound is exactly the same when I perform an upstroke or downstroke, my red Jazz III sounds different because the edge is a bit sharp. I tried to use a nail file with my dunlop but it didn't really solve the issue.

[​IMG]
    Heriba 115

These are copies of Ebonite picks, I personally don't really like them they seem to have a sort of scraping sound when picking, It's probably me/my way of playing and you may like them but these are not really my thing.

[​IMG]
    Free sample picks

Tone-toys also included a free sample package including three picks: Galli .88mm, Galli .60mm And Pickboy Rainbow classic 1.20mm. Very nice for them to include!

There you have it, if there are any questions feel free to ask.
    I have some dunlop and fender picks if you want me to compare them in regards to feel, sound, attack, etcetera.

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Nice picks man. I have a Wegen pick that I use for mandolin. I've been thinking about ordering some of the guitar ones.

3. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Been on a pick binge have we? :p

I can relate. I've been on the
    search for the perfect pick for a
    while now. I've not tried the Ebonites
    or Wegens but look forward to
    checking them out soon.

-Mike

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I've been using the Dunlop Ultex and they are very nice and clicky for steelstring and electric!

5. bunimoo

bunimoo Member

hey...i have question for you guys...i play acoustic and i tend to strum pretty hard and i use the dunlop nylon .60 and its just a tad thicker than i want..and it really shows when i play...and if i use anything either thinner or other than nylons i tend to break them...do you guys have any suggestions? thanks in advance...im a noob when it comes to the world of picks =)

and sorry for jockin the thread!

6. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

yes tone toys is a great german store!!

the ebonit plecks tempts me.. maybe i try them out, too.

7. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Rather than trying different picks I would work on loosening up your wrist. Once you get too thin on picks they start to sound pretty lifeless. I can't play anything thinner than .73. :RoCkIn

8. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Next time order some Pickboy Edge. I like them a lot, they are probably perfect for 90 % of the things I do. Smaller than your average pick, hard edge, stiff but not inflexible, very interesting "click-click" attack. I also did a similar test earlier.

9. robbert

robbert Member

Thanks for the response guys,

After playing some more with the picks I like the Vintage Ebonite pick and the Helios Artis Ebonite pick the most so far.

The Vintage Ebonite pick is really fast and precise. I can see why someone as skilled as Robert Fripp would use one, it shows alot. great attack and chords have this really nice balance.

The Helios Artis Ebonite has a very smooth attack and so far I haven't heard the attack through the amp I believe. I should try it at a higher volume though. Really thick tone, my favorite for single line playing.

10. robbert

robbert Member

Sure next time I'll order some, thanks for the hint.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Do they have a English version of their site?

I notice that they are selling Swedish Sharkfin picks! Are they to original specs?

Best, Pete.

12. robbert

robbert Member

I couldn't find an English version of their website, but I'm lucky because I live in The Netherlands I can read german.

You can try http://www.freetranslation.com/free/web.htm to translate web pages.

Or you could always try to e-mail them, they speak english trough mail if you want. I e-mailed with them in English as well since my German spelling isn't that great :)

13. c1gracie

c1gracie Member

where can i get them?

14. c1gracie

c1gracie Member

any one know where i can get pickboy picks?