Got Something In The Mail I didn't Order

MDMachiavelli

Several days ago, I came home from work to my wife telling me I received a package. It being Christmas time I'm always getting something in the mail so it wasn't surprising. When I looked at the package I noticed that is was about the size and shape of a guitar case but I knew I hadn't ordered a guitar so I dismissed it.

Anyway I opened the box and sure enough it was a pretty nice guitar in a hard case. I had not ordered a guitar so I double checked the label and yep it was addressed to my full name with correct address. To be honest I wasn't sure what the hell was up so I just thought about it for a few minutes.

Meanwhile I checked my email. I received a message from a customer service rep from Reverb. Undoubtedly someone who I had bought an instrument from months ago had accidentally printed out an old shipping slip and mailed me a guitar he was intending to ship to the buyer of the guitar. I responded to Reverb and let them know I did receive the guitar. They provided me a mailing slip to the person it was supposed to go to and ask me to mail it to them and I did.

Here is the $64,000.00 question, who out there would have kept the guitar? If you are old enough to remember the Ad Council used to have commercials saying that if you receive something in the mail addressed to you with your name on it that you did not order, you were not obligated to pay for or return it. After I dropped the guitar off at the UPS Store I researched it a little and from what I found that still holds true.

Now this was easy for me, it was a Schecter, although a higher end appealing one but nothing that interest me. But what if it was something that did? What if it was a vintage Gibson or Fender? Although I may not have had a legal obligation to not keep it, I did have a self imposed moral obligation not to.

Does your moral obligation have a limit? and if so what is it?

Also I would like to hear from at least one person who would have kept it regardless and what would be their rationale for doing so.

Last edited:

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
That law is to prevent things like publishers sending you magazines you didn't order then demanding that you pay for them. It doesn't mean you can keep anything that shows up on your doorstep.

You'd have to be a special kind of scumbag to think you had any moral right to keep it.

EricPeterson

That law is to prevent things like publishers sending you magazines you didn't order then demanding that you pay for them. It doesn't mean you can keep anything that shows up on your doorstep.

You'd have to be a special kind of scumbag to think you had any moral right to keep it.

A little blunt, but I agree completely.

I would not have kept the guitar. Musicians Friend one time sent me 2 of the same guitar that I had ordered, it was a bit of a headache to return, but it is the right thing to do.

MDMachiavelli

I tend to agree but I think it would have also covered this situation as well.

bob-i

I'd have asked them to schedule a pickup. You were notified of the mistake so you really had no right to keep it but you also didn't have any responsibility to ship it.

One time I received a store's weekly inventory, same street and number, different city, FedEx mistake. I called the store and spoke to the manager and she told me to take it to FedEx and have it shipped to them. This was a stack of boxes way too big to fit in my car. I told her I'd reported it to her, it was now up to her to get this corrected and I'd leave it on the front steps for 24 hours, after which I'd assume it was mine. She had it picked up.

2HBStrat

I'd have asked them to schedule a pickup. You were notified of the mistake so you really had no right to keep it but you also didn't have any responsibility to ship it......

I agree. I wouldn't have just kept it, but I wouldn't have paid to ship it to somebody else, either......

bigtone23

I would have, most certainly, returned the guitar. Probably taken it personally to the nearest UPS shipping center, too since there is one very close to my house and it would prevent any further shenanigans to happen to the guitar.

b_goatman

Gold Supporting Member
I would have returned it, b/c it's the right thing to do. Now, if I found a '58 LP burst on the side of a deserted highway, with no ID...

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I once received old sneakers in the mail when I expected a pedal. eBay seller switched labels by mistake. The three parties did the shipping shuffle and worked it out. But yeah if I was the sneaker guy I would have been tempted to keep the Deep Blue Delay instead, ha!

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
Several days ago, I came home from work to my wife telling me I received a package. It being Christmas time I'm always getting something in the mail so it wasn't surprising. When I looked at the package I noticed that is was about the size and shape of a guitar case but I knew I hadn't ordered a guitar so I dismissed it.

Anyway I opened the box and sure enough it was a pretty nice guitar in a hard case. I had not ordered a guitar so I double checked the label and yep it was addressed to my full name with correct address. To be honest I wasn't sure what the hell was up so I just thought about it for a few minutes.

Meanwhile I checked my email. I received a message from a customer service rep from Reverb. Undoubtedly someone who I had bought an instrument from months ago had accidentally printed out an old shipping slip and mailed me a guitar he was intending to ship to the buyer of the guitar. I responded to Reverb and let them know I did receive the guitar. They provided me a mailing slip to the person it was supposed to go to and ask me to mail it to them and I did.

Here is the $64,000.00 question, who out there would have kept the guitar? If you are old enough to remember the Ad Council used to have commercials saying that if you receive something in the mail addressed to you with your name on it that you did not order, you were not obligated to pay for or return it. After I dropped the guitar off at the UPS Store I researched it a little and from what I found that still holds true.

Now this was easy for me, it was a Schecter, although a higher end appealing one but nothing that interest me. But what if it was something that did? What if it was a vintage Gibson or Fender? Although I may not have had a legal obligation to not keep it, I did have a self imposed moral obligation not to.

Does your moral obligation have a limit? and if so what is it?

Also I would like to hear from at least one person who would have kept it regardless and what would be their rationale for doing so.
Got to send it back. Last year my company received several boxes of high end archery equipment by mistake. Graphite bows, arrows, cross-bows...thousands of dollars of stuff. We contacted the courier who delivered and it ended up taking a couple weeks to convince them they had taken the shipment to the wrong place.

CowTipton

It was nice of you to go through the hassle of shipping it back.
I would have made them send call tags through UPS to come pick it up and let them handle re-routing it.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Years ago Musicians' Fiend sent me a bunch of stuff I hadn't ordered. At the time they were having a lot of trouble keeping organized and sent me a shipping number that wouldn't cost me anything to send it all back. The box came back because the number wasn't valid, so I got a new number and drove it to the FedEx center myself. Once again, it was an invalid number, so I paid to ship it back just so I wouldn't be responsible when they eventually got straightened out. Sure enough, two months later I try to order something (my last MF order, since I wound up getting screwed on it) and get a notification about the items I had "kept".

Luckily, I found my receipt and was able to prove online that an MF employee had signed for everything (which was a new feature at the time). I later found out that the only reason MF ever knew of the extra items was that they came back to the warehouse... kind of begs the question, "then why do you think they are still missing?"

laughingsam

if it was something really nice that i really wanted, i would send it back, but i might hold on to it for just a couple days to play it a little first...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom