Got the Teese JWSW back

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the_Chris, Jun 6, 2008.

1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, as some of you know, I had a JWSW that was D.O.A. Geoffrey tests these pedals before he sends 'em out, but God only knows what happens to them in transit. After a few e-mails back and forth, he had diagnosed it as an inductor issue.

I'm absolutely floored at just how fast of a turnaround the entire process was. I shipped it to him (all the way across the country mind you), he received it, repaired it and looked it over and sent it back and this happened I want to say within 7-10 days (starting from the day I shipped it out - did I mention this was almost all the way across the country?). He must have gotten it in, repaired it and shipped it back out the same day, now THAT'S speedy service!

Geoffrey even went as far as paying me back the shipping costs to send it out for repair. This alone speaks volumes about his character - it shows he'll go to the lengths of replacing parts, bench time, and shipping costs to make things right all on his dime.

I'm a completely no-BS kinda guy and I don't give out compliments lightly, but in my eyes, Geoffrey is a class act. He sets a standard for all other boutique operations to live up to. I have never gotten replies as quick as I have from him and sure enough, when I had a problem he took care of me immediately (and it's not like I'm a rock star, I'm an absolute nobody :) ).

Now, for a quick review of the JWSW - my first impressions are that this is one excellent wah. The sweep range reminds me a lot of my old Pro Analog Supa Quack (which is a very good thing, I had really missed that wah). The heel side is nice and fat, yet remains clear and towards the toe it gets a nice bright and cutting tone without being harsh. The switch is a joy, it simply works smooth and fast with no audible popping (atleast at the volumes I've tried it out with so far). It seems to be a pretty vocal wah, especially when you get a feel for the sweet spots on it. I've really only had a few hours to play with it, but I do really like it so far!

2. Curly

Curly Member

he definitely has some of the very best customer service

3. Goofball

Goofball Member

I've talked with GT a couple of times over the years and yeah, he's a stand up guy and will go that extra mile to help his customers out. Class act all the way.

And i just got my JW wah too and it's now on my board! i just wanted to try it out but within 20 minutes of playing it, it is now my go-to wah. I have a RMC 3 and a Wizard too but for the moment, there is something about the JW wah that is tough to beat.

Gotta love those flames too! :D

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Glad to hear the wah is back in commision and recieved top notch customer service....enjoy it the JWSW is one of the best wahs I have played!

5. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

Geo don't play!! Glad the turn around was fast!

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Teese is indeed the man in the wild world of wahs and he has some of the best customer service I've seen yet!!!

Glad it all worked out, but I knew it would!

While we're at it anybody compare the JWSW to a plain old Picture wah??

EDIT: Since making this post I have changed my mind about what the best wah for me and I no longer use RMC wahs.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Yes, I own an old Teese Picture Wah (no FFT, power jack on the right side, etc.) from the first production run a few years ago. Awesome wah. I just got the Joe Walsh Wah about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Also an awesome wah. Very similar sweep range, but different sweet spots. I love the way it works in front of fuzzes that my Picture just can't without oscillation and narrowed sweep range. I'm still getting used to the clean tone of the Walsh. While it sounds great, I think the FFT is set to give the wah a bit of boost when it's kicked in, so I have to watch where I set the amp volume. If I'm too close to the break up point, then kicking the wah in takes it over the top. Of course it's easy to just back off the attack or the guitar volume.

Any other questions I could answer for you?

8. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

Isn't there an internal volume control in the JW to enable the wah to be set to unity voliume when engaged?

9. drolling

drolling Member

If it's anythying like my recent issue Picture wah (one of the last w/a grey colored enclosure) there should be a trimpot built into the buffer on the circuit board. Mine was *factory* set 'hot' too, but I kinda liked it like that.

Recently replaced the ICAR pot (lightning-fast sevice. Thanks GT!!) and spent some time dialing it back down to around unity

I'm 'on the list' at the local RMC distributor for BOTH the JoeWalsh & the WheelsOfire! Meantime, that Pic's still gotta be one of the best sounding wahs I've ever played!

10. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Yeah, but I haven't messed with it yet. I want to really get the sound and feel of the unit ingrained into my head first. I also want to use it with all of my fuzzes and stuff before I start messing around with the stock trimmer setting. I will say that I like the way the switch engages a lot. Not all wahs are created equal here on this. It's interesting to open up both units to look at the way the new ones have evolved over the past 6-7 years. It's obvious Teese learns from repairs and customer feedback. I really like the adjustable treadle too, but then again my Picture is just perfect the way it is.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  11. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member