Got the Wampler Ego in yesterday....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BrentSP, May 12, 2015.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I've played for 20 years and never have been into compressors. The only one I ever had was a Boss back in the late 90s and sold it after a year because I didn't understand it therefore didn't use it. I figured I've done some growing up since then, my taste has refined and my playing has excelled since then so gave a compressor another try.

I'm going to have to spend more time with it I believe before I make a informed opinion, but my other guitarist friends have this on their boards and leave it on all the time. One of my favorite guitarist Justin Derrico uses the Ego also. Andy Timmons is another fav that uses a compressor, not sure which one but I know he does. So there has to be something to it.

I understand that concerning a compressor, "Sustain" makes the soft, lightly picked notes louder and "Attack" makes the loudly plucked notes softer. It levels out the peaks and valleys. This seems to go against why I buy amps and guitars that are dynamic sounding. I vary my pick attack to get what I want. If I pick softly I'm wanting the notes to be lower in volume and cleaner and the opposite when picking aggressively.

I find with overdrive it (the Ego) smears the notes together some; with that said one thing I did noticed that I do like, is the added sustain it gives me on leads.

These are my first impressions so far. I really want to like this pedal and justify why I spent $200 on it. Any advice?

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Spend some time with it. It can be set to where you don't even notice it is on except for the extra sustain. Or you can set it up to be super-squashy if that's your bag. I like mine just north of hardly noticeable. I am a bonafide compressor freak and the Ego is my favorite. It adds this really nice sheen to the sound that I love.

3. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

I love my Ego and my Empress Compressor. The 2 best I've found by far.

4. BrentSP

Mind sharing your north of hardly noticeable setting? That seems to be what I would prefer. I want to still have dynamics but the added sustain would be really nice.

I don't know if it matters but the Ego is going in front of a Bogner Goldfinger 45 and various guitars (Gibson R8, PRS SC58, Strat) Wah > Ego > OD > Tuner > input of amp. Volume, Trem, delay in loop.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. Brien

Brien Member

I have an Ego Comp as well. Here's how I set it for mild comp (5 being 12:00).
    Blend 7-8, Attack 3, Vol 4.5-5, Tone 1, Sustain 3.5. The sustain knob is the delicate one. It will vary by guitar output, and these settings are based on before any boost/OD pedals.

6. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

Do you think, being unfamiliar/not used to compression as you've mentioned, the lack of perceived dynamics makes you feel the "smear" that you mentioned?

I will say that using the Blend knob on any parallel compressor takes work to find the sweet spot. Finding that sweet spot may also give you more articulation between notes...YMMV tho.

7. stucker

stucker Member

If you are new to compressors you may find that you will use your volume pedal more to make up for the lost dynamic range. But once you adjust, your playing can actually be more dynamic when you jump from playing rhythm to solos or fills.

8. BrentSP

It very well could be more of a feel vs hearing situation. I think its just going to take some getting use to. I bought it only because I wanted to see what I was missing out on and that others I've talked to say its their most important pedal in the signal chain.

9. BrentSP

Played 3 hours with it last night. Ehhhh its ok I guess, I mean I can feel and hear a difference, mainly in the sustain department. I'm def not sold on it yet like others are.

10. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Wampler makes some serious pedals - I'd take some time and work with it. Great build quality in there.

11. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

I have an Ego comp, but I use it for bass. Don't like compression on guitar, unless it's coming from the amp.

12. minty901

minty901 Member

i never like the feel of playing through a compressor. then i finally found the one that works for me -- the zoom ms70cdr optcomp effect with all knobs at noon. its a clone of the aphex punch factory apparently. very subtle, makes things sound slightly fuller without any noticeable impact on attack (attack being throttled is the main thing that puts me off compressors).

13. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

Don't be pressured to use it all the time. I have an Empress, and I only use it when I want a more refined sound, and mostly only on clean. I would almost never put it before my OD. The OD has compression of its own, so more compression is often just unnecessary. If anything, I put my compressor after my dirt pedals to even out the level a bit without destroying the dynamic qualities of the OD, fuzz, or distortion pedal.

I'd suggest just playing clean through it for an hour. Then turn it off and tell us if you miss it or not. Clean country riffing practically demands some compression. So does jangly Brit pop and clean arpeggiated stuff.

14. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

This comment is not so much for/against the EGO but more about just feeling happy about the pedal and purchase.

I recently went through the research and purchase of a new compressor. I have a Ross-modded Dyna Comp that I really liked (and still do) BUT I wanted to have the blend control. I started to notice more over time that, while I kept it on lower settings, it did rob by tone a bit of "fullness", making it a bit flat -- although incredibly bright and crisp.

My decision came down to choosing between the EGO and the Barber Tone Press (both highly praised pedals) and I chose the latter -- 110% content with the purchase and decision; it sounds great. In A/B comparisons between my DC and the TP, it became quickly apparent the difference in richness of tone and better response/dynamics found in the Tone Press thanks to the blend control (among other reasons as well.)

As I shared with David in a recent e-mail exchange, I am not sure I would have appreciated the quality of sound, while also lacking a better understanding of how compressors worked and interacted with the guitar tone, had I not spend a few months learning the ins/outs of the classic Dyna Comp. Even when I upgraded the DC with the Ross-Specs and Tone Knob, I learned to appreciate the compressor a bit more (when & how to best use it for my needs.)

All of this being said -- I have been in the position before where you are "suppose" to like the pedal because everyone raves about it being the best thing since sliced bread. The expectations grow higher as the pedal is on its way in the mail and when it finally arrives and gets plugged in, we are left with .... "meh". A challenging attribute about compressors is that they can be purposefully subtle -- unlike a gain or modulation pedal that will rock some crazy effect that's hard not to notice. If you give the EGO a few solid work-outs, trying out all of the settings and such, and it still doesn't vibe with your gear or playing style -- no harm, no foul -- just return it and try again.

If the shoe doesn't fit or make you feel happy, get something else that does. Crazy to keep it and not be satisfied. I played for 20+ years before ever owning a compressor pedal.

BTW -- I posted my experience with the Barber Tone Press and initial testing: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1575106

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  15. King Rat

King Rat Member

The Wampler and Diamond compressor seem to be the 2 to get! for guys around here. at the $200 price mark it's hard to get a better Compressor to Dollar Ratio.

16. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

In general, the attack knob controls how quickly the compressor kicks in. Your sustain knob sets the compression ratio. Many compressors also have a threshold control that sets the point in the dynamic range that compression will begin.

Sorry you aren't enjoying your new pedal. In general, I don't like a lot of compression on guitars. I tend to view it more as a solution to a problem than an effect.

17. BrentSP

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. I like it for clean but not so much for overdrive. Bogners are already smooth, compressed and warm.

18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Agree. A compressor works great for bass. I prefer guitar without it because I like the dynamics of my fingers and picking.

19. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Seems like a lot of country players like comps,
    or guys that play clean a lot of the time.

I am not a huge fan and have had the Ego,
    the Diamond, the Keeley a few times, a Maxon,
    and probably a couple of others here and there
    over the years.

I always seem to end up going comp-less, though. :dunno

20. BrentSP

Well I'm giving up on it fellas. I called Sweetwater and they are taking care of me. I may just get another OD like a Burnley or something else, not sure. I hate to return it for refund and Brad my sales agent lose out just because I'm picky haha.

I appreciate all the help guys, seriously. You guys are the best.