Got this tele in a trade...thinking about getting a refin, but want some opinions

Should I refinish my new old Tele?

• Refinish in a new color

• Stain to still see the wood

• Leave as is

Results are only viewable after voting.

pickslide

Supporting Member
Got this in a trade. It is a real 66 tele. The wood grain looks cool, but I am thinking that I would like somewhat of a more finished look. Perhaps even getting it stained a dark brown, but something that you could still see the wood. Then again, maybe getting it a whole new color. I could also put a different color pickguard on it so any suggestions about that are welcome too.

What do you guys think?

Braunzo

Never quite understood refinishing guitars. You generally buy a guitar for what it is. Especially a vintage piece like that. You'll destroy the resale value and historic relevance.

Of course, just my honest opinion. It's your guitar, you can do what you want with it.

b2sc

^^ Is that even the original finish??? I doubt it and you will not devalue the guitar any more with a proper refin if it has been stripped.

KissTone

That's ash, which on a 60s Tele usually means blonde.

Refin that sucker! Please.

And get the proper neck pup and guard back on there.

Forgive me, I'm a traditionalist.

I vote no on the re-finish. Looks very cool as is.

Leave the mini humbucker in the neck position, but get a pickguard that is properly cut to the shape of the mini hum.

mbargav

That's ash, which on a 60s Tele usually means blonde.

Refin that sucker! Please.

And get the proper neck pup and guard back on there.

Forgive me, I'm a traditionalist.
+1000

Make it a project. Track down a nice pickguard, PUPs, etc.

Whiskeyrebel

Supporting Member
Route it for a Floyd Rose, put some EMGs on that sucker and use a woodburning pencil to give it a mural of a naked chick riding a unicorn. I wanna see if that makes KissTone's head explode like a cantaloupe in the microwave.

BluesForDan

Supporting Member
Route it for a Floyd Rose, put some EMGs on that sucker and use a woodburning pencil to give it a mural of a naked chick riding a unicorn. I wanna see if that makes KissTone's head explode like a cantaloupe in the microwave.
that's not nice, you didn't ask for video :omg:rotflmao

meh, I think it is pretty ugly the way it is. I've vote refin with light checking, restore the neck pickup and replace the pick guard. I'd go white blonde with tortoise pick guard.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
The grain is interesting but it looks well really dirty. Look at the original 66 color pallet and choose or look under the pickguard or in the neck pocket and have it refinished it's original color.

A refinish is a refinish so price will reflect that. That refinish is strange.

bluesking55

Supporting Member
Steel wool it or use a broken in scotch brite with some cleaner. Be surprised how it will look, send it to me, be glad to do it for u

Beng2040

Supporting Member
:rotflmao

I'd refin it blonde and put it back stock as well. :hide

pickslide

Supporting Member
Clearly this is not original so doing a refin will not affect the value much if any, so I am not concerned about that.

IPLAYLOUD

Crazy waterfall looking grain.

Did it have a toggle on the top bout?
I can't tell if it's a sticker or a filled-in hole.

I think I would leave this one alone. It has that Pure Praire League Look to it.

KBR

new black guard (Warmoth for Mini Hber) & Butterscotch refin.
oops, Oly White (it has rosewood board neck) & Parchment guard for mini hber...

Trending Topics