• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Got to Compare the KPA With My Amp In-Room...

oasis02

My local gear-buddy and I have been contemplating the Kemper for about a year now.

He finally pulled-the trigger last week, and brought his unit to my house for some demo-ing.

I think it helped him greatly to be able to have someone else playing as he scrolled-through his newly-uploaded Britt and Top Jimi profiles.

He has an unpowered lunchbox and an 8" JBL LS308.

We went through a series of profiles that he marked as favorites for about two hours. After that, we turned-on my Tone King Koyalist MKII.

Impressions/Conclusions?

I can say with a high degree of confidence that at "home-friendly" volumes, with the right profiles the Kemper can equal the real deal. Probably not a shocking newsflash, but I was skeptical.

There were some clean profiles that were really nice, and I gravitate to the 2203/800/Jubilee-type things myself. I think I heard what I needed to hear.

Still a tough decision to move my TK because I've had several Marshall/Clone amps over the years and this is certainly a fave. Couple that with having the pedals exactly as I want them...and I've got some thinking to do.

The TK has the IronMan II attenuator that really lets you crunch at low volumes. I typically use the most-restricted setting at 6:00am or late night, and the second-most attenuated setting any other time. At these settings, the Kemper can easily imitate the real deal. One more click upward (almost too loud to stand in-room) and all bets would be off.

I have a feeling I'll have a KPA by this time next week...

-Empire

I'm glad you were impressed even though you were monitoring them differently.

If you really want to be convinced, make a direct profile of your amp (just the preamp), then run the kemper's profile into the fx loop return of your amp.

Play something and move the cables between the kpa and the real amp.

This way you're monitoring with the same power amp and cab.

This way you'll be sure that whatever you put into the kemper by profiling, is exactly what comes out when playing that profile.

oasis02

I can say that the Kemper setup will be almost exactly to how I likely set-it-up.

I'll probably go with dual monitors...

oasis02

KPA and Remote Bundle are en route.

The monitor hunt begins...I cant find a negative word about the JBL LS series, and KPA users seem to like the Yamaha HS stuff for KPA play, not so much for mixing which I don't do. I already have a pair of nice stands.

parkhill

Congrats! I have the JBL's below. One reason I like them with the kemper is the spdif input. You can connect via spdif from the kemper and keep your analog outs available for connecting to a console or recording interface. So when I'm recording I run to the interface. When I just want to plug in and play like I would a traditional amp? Spdif into the jbl's does the trick. Good luck!

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/...roadcast/lsr4300-series/lsr4328p#.WHRCW3RlDqA

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I'm glad you were impressed even though you were monitoring them differently.

If you really want to be convinced, make a direct profile of your amp (just the preamp), then run the kemper's profile into the fx loop return of your amp.

Play something and move the cables between the kpa and the real amp.

This way you're monitoring with the same power amp and cab.

This way you'll be sure that whatever you put into the kemper by profiling, is exactly what comes out when playing that profile.
Yup.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Still a tough decision to move my TK because I've had several Marshall/Clone amps over the years and this is certainly a fave. Couple that with having the pedals exactly as I want them...and I've got some thinking to do.
If there's any way possible I'd suggest keeping your tube rig and get the Kemper as well. I have both tube amps and an Axe FX and I wouldn't want to give up either one. Each one has its own personality and it's great to have the choice.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Jose7822

I agree with the guys who say you need to profile your amp. After you do that, I'm sure you won't feel the need to keep it anymore. I personally haven't turned on my amps (a Mesa Mark V and TA-30) in months. Everything I need is already inside the Kemper. It's that good!

Gearzilla

I agree with the guys who say you need to profile your amp. After you do that, I'm sure you won't feel the need to keep it anymore. I personally haven't turned on my amps (a Mesa Mark V and TA-30) in months. Everything I need is already inside the Kemper. It's that good!
Is that traditional guitar cab or frfr?

buddachile

At the very least profile the hell out of the amp at every possible setting you like before selling it.
This.
I'd recommend that you make sure and do some direct profiles (i.e. without the cab/mic; but make sure to plug the amp into a cab or reactive load to avoid an explosion), that way you can use them with various cabinet IRs, or even plug into a real cab.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
The TK has the IronMan II attenuator that really lets you crunch at low volumes. I typically use the most-restricted setting at 6:00am or late night, and the second-most attenuated setting any other time. At these settings, the Kemper can easily imitate the real deal. One more click upward (almost too loud to stand in-room) and all bets would be off.
That Tone King looks like an awesome rig.
Just curious about your thoughts on the comparison as you cranked it.

oasis02

The TK was pretty spectacular. Never a complaint whatsoever.

The time was just right for a KPA, especially with a local user to trade ideas with.

If I did most of my playing at venue-levels, the amp would not have been sold. Best Marshall type amp I've owned since the Reinhardt Storm 33, without question.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom