Got to meet Ron Thorn last weekend

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mentalfloss, Aug 12, 2006.

1. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

I was in SoCal for a half-week of roller-coaster riding, night-clubbing and dining out with friends (oh, and don't miss the Getty Center when you're there) and I spent a late afternoon at Ron Thorn's shop to take the tour and do wood selection (5A quilted maple top, black limba neck/body, ebony fingerboard) and other issue resolution regarding the single-cut I ordered back in early February. I'm happy to say he is just as nice a guy as I had hoped; warm, funny, smart, patient, place the admiring adjective of your choice here. He took more time with me than I had expected (and I felt a bit guilty about it) but he wanted to be sure that the choices we made were going to be the right ones. I couldn't be more happy and excited that my next guitar will be one of Ron's stellar creations.

I'll keep all you Thorn-enthusiastis posted on progress.

2. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, Ron is one of the nicest guys you could possibly deal with...

Knows his woods hands down and will gently guide you in the right direction... His guitars are stunning works of art that play incredibly well, too.

Good choice - you will be happy... Well, in about 16 to 18 months ;)

Best,

Mike

3. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Ron is a heck of a nice guy. I'd buy his guitars even if he was a jerk but I wouldn't enjoy the process as much. This way, you get to deal with a nice guy AND get a wonderful guitar :BEER

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Ron's the best.
    No doubt.
    His guitars are playable, tonally superior, works of art.
    S.
    j

5. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Another +1 for Ron.
    Great guy, and he makes on of the best guitars on the planet IMHO.
    Gregory

6. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I could go on and on about how cool Ron is! He is definately one of THE best luthiers out there IMHO (although I am biased haha) and his personality is just as superb as his work! Glad to hear you're placing an order with him, Ron will make EXACTLY what you're looking for, and probably even more! I really can't say enough about how much of a pleasure the order process has been through Ron, and I don't even HAVE mine yet! The paperclips in your email inbox are the best feeling ever though, just wait! :dude If you haven't already, you should go over and join the Thorn Forum too man! Congrats on the order, sit back and enjoy the ride. :BEER

7. WayneM

WayneM Member

+1 for Ron.

A real gentleman and a first class Luthier.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i cant wait to one day own a thorn!

9. prsflame

prsflame Member

Another 1+ for Ron. I'm digging all 3 of My Thorns.....They are just superior in looks/tone/playability. Ron was so easy to work with, and I got exacly what I wanted. Couldn't be happier. Now I have two more on order, lol.

Would love to see the shop one of these days.

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Ron builds some of the best guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing. His attention to detail and his precision are legendary.

His ability to engineer in to his insturments all of the great things from the guitars of the glory days of the past, and to engineer out all of the mistakes in those same guitars, is second to none.

Ron's a mechanical engineer of the first order - he understands and applies his deep understanding of physics to the insturment's design. His great woodworking and electronics skills, and his stock of amazing tonewoods seal the deal on the very high level of consistency in his work.

He builds a damn nice bridge too!

Playing a Ron Thorn guitar is like playing a great vintage insturment, only there are no quirks to play around, and everything works just right. Best of both worlds.

I'm a complete Vintage guitar queer, and Ron's guitars just slay me.

Dana O.

11. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

I too love Ron's- heck I just got my first thorn! Ron, like several other builders here, is a top notch guy. He treats all of his customers as if they are his only customer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Ron Rules!!!

And SWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT guitar man!!!!

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Amazing!

Please excuse the question but how is the neck attached to the body?

Thanks

14. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I also visited Ron last week (the 7th) while I was on vacation with my family. I was able to visit #147 that is coming close to completion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jamie

P.S. Since I was there, I spec'ed out another one... It's not my fault! It was the Naptha fumes! :p

15. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Juicy Fruit...

Thank you everyone, much too kind. I've got to forward this thread onto my girlfriend...maybe it'll help :p

Ron

16. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Not a chance.
    :D

-e.

17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Ron's the best, I can say nothing but good things about the guy. Just the coolest, most patient guy you could ever meet. His guitars speak for themselves, just killer playing and sounding instruments. And, they look pretty good, too....:cool:

18. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I THOUGHT I knew that smell when I picked up Shreve's birdseye beauty! JUICY FRUIT!!! :roll Mmm mmmm! Great sense of humor too, I don't think anyone mentioned that either! :D :AOK

19. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Hey Gkoelling,

It always surprises me when folks here seem to go out of their way not to answer an honest question.

In the photo above, you can see a pocket for the neck tenon in the neck pickup rout. The neck is glued (or maybe juicyfruited) into that pocket and butts against the body.

20. yanquii

yanquii Member

hm, that was rather rude.