• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Got Wood?

I found the neck on Warmoth about a year ago: Imbuia with an ebony board. I bought it on impulse, knowing that I would have a project for it one day. The WGD has been in the back of my mind for years, and for each body shape Warmoth has a few choice exotic boards available for tops. When I saw this piece of Pau Ferro, I was hooked. As soon as I changed my briefs, I got on the phone and spec'ed out the mahogany body. I've also had an old set of humbuckers that Tom Holmes wound for me about 10 years ago, and I knew that they had now found a home.

I wanted the guitar to be really down-to-earth as opposed to all of the inlay and electronics that adorned Jerry's guitar. So I found some ebony knobs and rings on eBay. The problem with hardwood rings is that they have to be cut with grain running along the long axis, and that clashed with the pattern of the Pau Ferro. So I took some plastic rings, sprayed them with primer, mixed up a few shades of acrylic and hand-painted the rings to match the grain pattern of the top. Than I sprayed them with Polyurethane. The body also has a poly finish. I sprayed some medium brown dye on the mahogany, with an ever-so-subtle minimum brown burst on the edge of the top.

The neck got just a tiny bit of Tru Oil, steel wool and some gun wax. It is easily the smoothest neck I've ever played. Bridge and tail piece are Tone Pros, and the tuners are vintage-style Kluson Waffles. I cut the nut from unbleached bone.

The only thing I would change would be to chamber the body, since it is a fair amount of real estate, but that option was not available. Still it doesn't come close to the 13 lbs. that Jerry's weighed.

Trending Topics