Gotoh Hardtail Strat Bridge. How hard to install?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by RockStarNick, Sep 22, 2008.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a new Warmoth build sometime soon. Going to make it a Nuno-inspired raw, simple guitar. I'm going for a Black Korina body (but this photoshop job here shows poplar).

Anyway, I'd really like to use the Gotoh hardtail strat bridge.

The problem is: Warmoth only does routes for 2 variations on vintage type strat bridge routes.

Now, on my 3 other builds, I've had them do the "Narrow Spaced Strat", which has 3/8" string holes, and the 3 mounting holes. I've filled the outer 2, but have always been able to use that center screw hole to get "true center" for my bridges.

The problem with this Gotoh one, is that the mounting holes are in much different places than a standard strat one.

How difficult do you think it will be to mount this bridge? Will the existing 3 "vintage" positioned screw holes that WArmoth will do serve as good guide holes somehow so I can find "true center"?

Since the guitar will be string-thru, with rear ferrules, should I string it up with some slack, and try to position the gotoh with the strings ON?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The Hipshot Strat hardtail fits the Warmoth mount direct and has the narrow spacing the same as the Gotoh. It squeezes the strings in the "E"s slightly but not a problem.

3. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Hmm. I'll check this bridge out. Not the exact look I was going for, but perhaps it will grow on me...