Gotta give it up for Swart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trickness, Feb 20, 2009.

1. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Recently acquired an AST from another member, and one of the 6V6's was microphonic. I sent an email to Swart asking for help to diagnose the problem, and got a response from Kelly within two hours. Subsequent to that email, I got several more with replacement tube recommendations - what was nice was Kelly not only pitched me on stuff they had in stock, but also sent several links to tube outlets that carried NOS stuff that would work well. Kelly also sent me jpeg copies of the original manual and tags.

Now some folks might look at the above and say, "so what, no big deal." But I was honestly blown away at how helpful, responsive, articulate and friendly the Swart folks are. This is a two year old amp and I'm the second (maybe third) owner. Boutique gear doesn't automatically come with great customer service. Just wanted to give props to a company who acts like it should.

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

Good for you. I'm still waiting (I've BEEN waiting) for the footswitch to my AST-PRO and an extra-large Swart t-shirt. I've reminded my dealer...more than once. Hopefully someone will get the customer service ball rollin' in my case.

3. trickness

My suspicion is that the holdup is with your dealer, not with Swart. I'd send them an email directly.

4. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

Hey, that's very good to know. I buy most everything with these things in mind. I've considered a Swart. Too many choices (which is really fabulous)

5. andy888

andy888 Member

Kelly from swart was awesome to deal with, I have had several communications with the company and the customer service has always been excellent and prompt.

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Agreed 100% Kelly and Michael were great when I sent may amp in for a tune up.

I doesn't hurt that the amps sound incredible:)

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

Hard to imagine it sounded much better when it got back to you...I still maintain I'm simply on a Swart detour at the moment ;)

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

thumbs up for a perfect company!

mike and kelly are awesome, i have an STR and its a killer amp. they were able to find me a replacement handle, and the communication is top notch.

im plugged into my STR right now actually...

9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

Love em! Emailed about a tone question and in a few hours Michael Swart calls me and discusses amps for 20 minutes!! I was trying to talk him into making a space tone reverb tweed in a 15 watt model ;)

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Does that mean you can't turn off the tremolo? Did you buy the amp new from an authorized dealer? Who'd you purchase from?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  11. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

It does a little bit... Most of the tweaks they did were to bring it up to current specs... basically a power supply hum reduction.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

Kelly has contacted me by e-mail and we..he...will resolve the situation. It wasn't my intent to necessarily "slag" the company. We all know they make a fine product. However, my dealer was contacted more than once and I was led to believe Swart was thusly contacted. I will discuss further with the dealer today in person. When I receive my merchandise I will come back on here and make sure the credit is given where it is due.

13. mobile homeless

mobile homeless Member

Hey Jim and the rest of the bunch, thanks so much for the kind words on the customer service from Swart. This actually means a lot as it's been a top priority for us since we sold our first Space Tone, cloth checked pattern and all, going on six years ago. I leave my computer on 24 hours a day and usually when I hear that "chord" signaling Swart mail (yes, it's a chord from a Swart, no less), I'll walk in and open that beast no matter what time of day, even if it's 2am. Lordy, a few have seen mails with time stamps that make it appear as if we never sleep. Ok, maybe I do have issues here....heh.

Seriously, both Michael and I have been on the other side of the coin and I know of the utter frustration of mediocre customer service. Sadly, prompt attention can sometimes be considered a lost art, although email and thy cell phone go a long way in giving consumers far better access/results. Indeed, in the case of Swart, when you call, you're talking directly with ole Michael himself. Cant say that for too many businesses, even small ones.

On the other hand, that footswitch issue that Peppy reports is troublesome, indeed. This is just the kind of result we work so hard to avoid. I've already written Peppy with sincere apologies since alerted to this thread. I dont remember hearing from him directly but that's no excuse as each of our dealers do an excellent job. So No excuses. We must have dropped the ball here. Our apologies with only the promise that we'll do our best to make sure it wont happen again.

- kelly

EDIT: Just saw the mention above about the footswitch and trem off/on concern. I have three of the amps, two with footswitch capability (AST and STR-Tweed), and don't even OWN the footswitch. With no switch, you only have to use the depth knob to remove the Tremolo from impacting the circuit. Each amp is designed to run sans switch to avoid the quagmire of a misplaced switch with the reverb/trem last switched to "off" position, only to lose function of verb/trem or both.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  14. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Thanks Swart and co., for excellent customer service, for my small tube related prob.

I didn't want to call back and bug ya for that. Love my SST30!

15. SuperSonic

SuperSonic Member

Truly awesome folks.

16. Shnook

Shnook Member

My experience with the folks at Swart has been nothing but positive. :AOK
    My only negative with anything Swart related is that by buying the Danocaster that was in the emporium yesterday, I delayed my purchase of a AST by many months! :(

17. sanhozay

I did not know this! So, totally down takes the verb out, also?
    Does the AST automatically attenuate the verb as the volume increases?

18. sanhozay

Congrats! Was it a tele style D?

19. Shnook

Shnook Member

Yep...with a P90 in the neck...Seafoam Green! I can't wait to hook it up to my Space Tone! :phones

20. trickness

I'm loving the new Tung Sols in my AST btw, the amps sounds so much better. Should have an NOS 5Y3 showing up tomorrow - looking forward to a Swart weekend!