Gotta tell ya about my ToneTools 112 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have never been a 112 guy; I have owned plenty of 112 combos and cabs over the years; and just liked them for the size, never the tone.

I owned a VHT Pittbull 45 112 combo that finally broke through and made me rethink my opinion on 112's for me.

But that amp got sold (kept my VHT 50/ST head instead) and got me a Flexi, which I love.

After hearing Dave Leslie talk up his ToneTools Fatcat 112, I started doing research and then talked to Cas at ToneTools about doing a cab for me.

So this thing showed up a few weeks ago, I had a Guytron BigTone 55 speaker to put in it (I really dig these speakers) and BOOM.

This little sealed back, front ported cab is da bomb. just big enough sounding to sound like a 212, but exceptionally wide frequency response and tight bottom. far beyond any 112 I have ever heard. Cas is truly onto something very unique and very different here - this thing is killer.

And looks? Man, he nailed the look I wanted. Top notch attention to detail in every regard and completely done with my ideas on what aesthetics I wanted.

I just have to say, I really think this cab is killer. My hat is off to Cas. Well done man.

[​IMG]

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well said - I've been using them for some time now...

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

They sound great, weigh little, look killer and Cas stands behind them 100%. A true custom shop cab.

4. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

is that a front, or rear loaded cab?

my earcandy is rear sealed, and front ported, but unfortunately the speakers are frontloaded (which is pretty much inherrent with such a design, i know) and it's too tight/dry sounding with my cobra...i've tried several times, i just don't think i was meant to play front loaded cabs :(

if someone made a rear loaded, ported 1x12 cab, i could definitely see myself picking up one...i might be SOL if i damage the speaker, but i think i'd be willing to risk it ;)

5. Scott Peterson

Rear loaded. You remove the back to load it. Cas has a patent pending way of porting it too, it is really different than the round ports ala Ear Candy.

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Scott - If you can, how would you compare the BigTone 55's to other popular speakers (H30's, Greenbacks, Weber British models, etc.)? I'm always looking for new speakers to monkey around with. How do a pair of them handle the full power of the Flexi, i.e. do they hold their stuff together at high volumes? How about the 35's?

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but I'm intrigued by the BigTones. Thanks! Oh, and nice looking cab! :)

7. Scott Peterson

No I can't and be honest. I have long been a Vintage 30 guy; and then loved mixing the H30/V30. I have tried Naylor, a few Weber, Jensen, EV and a few of the newer Emi's.

But a speaker expert I am not.

Guy hipped me to these speakers, his thing is that he wanted a speaker that had all the elements he liked from his favorite blackback Celestions.

All I know is that they have a killer tight bottom, and the mids are my favorite ever. The highs are even and they just sound fantastic.

FWIW, I can't stand V30's anymore. In combination with other speakers, they work for me now... but these BigTone speakers are *it* for my taste. I sold every other speaker I had outside of my Emi PJ's for my 412.

Disclosure, my company has done work for Guytron in the past, but I did pay for these speakers and my opinion is not bought and sold. Just being honest.

8. tclardy

tclardy Member

I have the same cabinet on order, about 2 weeks out. I have a G12H30 I was going to put in it. What i was wondering is do you think this guytron has more bite than a G12H30? I love the speaker but it seems a little tame to me. I don't like Vintage 30's by themselvest, too harsh.

Have you ever compared the Guytron speaker to a G12H30?

Thanks,
    Tim

9. hipfan

hipfan Member

Scott - Thanks for the info. Sounds like a cool speaker. I'll have to try a couple of them.

10. Scott Peterson

Not directly, but these speakers are indeed extremely even sounding. I wouldn't call them tame nor harsh in any regards.

I have never used the H30's from Celestion by themselves, only in conjunction with V30's. I'd love to offer an opinion, but I can't.

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Scott,

1. That is one nice looking cab.

2. I have also become a 112 convert. I never thought I would. I've always preferred 212s.

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Hey fellas,

I have exchanged emails with Caz and have pretty much decided this is the cab for me because of portabilty reasons ect. What I'd like to know is an opinion or two on how this cab would react with a greenback or an emi tonespotter? I have like 6 G12M greenbacks:eek: and need to put one of them into something.

-Rich:)

13. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Scott,

The new Tone - Tools 1x12 cabinet looks real, real done up righteous looking. He did a good job on the white tubing--Classy.

Did you ever get your VHT 1x12 you had on order for like 4 or 5 months?

I finally got mine.

But still looking for another 1x12 cabinet. They are so compact and love being with my 1x12 combos.

Good Choice:)

14. Scott Peterson

Thanks man, it is exactly what I asked for and I love the look.

I never got my VHT 112 speaker cab... and the money that was put down on that is what in the end paid for this. I think I did okay. :D

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

It's one of the few cabs that really seems to bring out the best of the speaker being used - less picky than some other 1x12s. While I use a Red Fang in my Tone-Tools cab, I've tried a range of speakers in it - including Greenback-type designs - w/ excellent results.

16. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

does this company have a website?

i see myself getting a emi-governer loaded 1x12 (and maybe even a matching emi-manowar loaded 1x12) sometime in the future...i just might have to check these out ;)

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Thanks rwe333, That's what I was hoping to hear.

-Rich:)

18. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

www.tone-tools.com