• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Govan & Sheehan - Cause We've Ended as Lovers

Finewhine

What makes the Jeff Beck version on Blow By Blow, as well as some of his live versions, is his ability to play just what it takes to convey the emotion. That is innate to some players. Another song where I've felt that players missed the point (including well respected players) is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Clapton nailed that, making his guitar cry. Most people over play on it, missing the whole point..

MikeFM

It started off great but as it went on it felt lost to me and some quick playing couldn't be helped, as usual, that wasn't necessary for a piece like this.

Again, showed great promise and he can have restraint but gets a little lost musically when he does.
Haha, this is the one where he breaks his string on his guitar and switches back to slide to cover up for the now detuned guitar until the tech gives him a new one. It's a pretty amazing save if you ask me. If you don't like it, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

MikeFM

Here's another version and he's actually worse as he has all six strings to go off on.

He's even frantic/overly busy with a slide no less.

When he shows restraint he displays musicality but it's very rare. He just can't help himself. He needs to study Beck, Gary Moore and Thomas Blug for restraint and musicality. These guys can rip it up at a moment's notice too, however they don't because they play for the piece.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.
It's funny, I just watched the Thomas Blug clip listed in this thread, today. It started off nice and moody, and then became an 80's cop film soundtrack, with the same unnecessary over the top playing that you see in Govan. Same thing with the Greg Koch video that was also posted imo. I guess it's just what we like and don't like, or how we perceive things.

To be clear, I didn't like Guthrie's playing in the OP's post. It's better than I can do, but let's assume that that's a given. But to say he has no musicality would be extremely wrong. It's just not your type of musicality.

tguyfr

Maybe GG just forgot that half part of the music is... silence. That’s why I really dig Jeff Beck who lets you breath an imagine what’s not played.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
I’m a lifelong hard core Jeff Beck fan and CWEAL is one of my all time favorite songs, not just of his, but all time. Nobody’s every gonna touch Beck’s version in my ears and mind.

What I hear is two very talented cats getting together doing a tribute and having some fun in honor of the Guv’nah. I really fully enjoyed the playing with that in mind. I could only dream of playing that well after playing for 40 years. I suspect if Jeff was there he’d be there smiling ear to ear with that smile of his!

As for the Hans Zimmer piece. Thanks for that, it was very enjoyable to me. That melody, and my God that slide tone, friggin drop dead beautiful! What I hear afterwards, particularly in the second version, is a phenomenal musician searching his heart and revealing it. Not afraid to fly without a net. I dig that and I really dig Guthrie.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom