Gov't Mule The Deepest End Live...Warren's amp(s)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeVB, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Warren Hayne's sound on Soulshine on The Deepest End, Live in Concert is one of my favorite recorded guitar tones.

Anyone know what amp he was playing? Was it all amp overdrive or some pedal(s) as well?

2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I think he's been playing the 2 head Cesar Diaz/SLO combo with mule for years upon years now. Mostly amp overdrive I believe he only had a klon centaur in the pedal chain

3. Phletch

Phletch Member

^^^^^^^^^^That's pretty much it as I understand it - Cesar for cleans, SLO for dirt, wonderful, glorious dirt.

4. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Yep, One of my favorite guitarists as well. And the above posts are correct about his amps. You can see them here if you stop at the 1:37 mark:

And this may be of some help as well: http://www.warrenhaynes.net/gear-guide

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  5. loudboy

loudboy Member

I saw them about 2 weeks before Woody died, and Warren was having problems with his switching/pedal rig all night.

Finally, he just unplugged and went straight into an amp - the Diaz... Didn't sound clean to me.

6. Phletch

Phletch Member

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but I'm not admitting defeat just yet :drink. I'm pretty sure I read that he *normally* (that is, used in conjunction with the SLO for dirt) uses the Diaz for cleans and a Tweedy crunch. Perhaps if set appropriately it gets nasty. :dunno

7. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Well, the Diaz really isn't set clean like a Fender Twin on "3" but at 120w+ the Diaz has plenty of headroom. He seems to set the Diaz for a decent crunch with great headroom, then the guitar's volume controls come into play.

8. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

He uses the Diaz for cleans only, except for that one show where apparently the SLO broke down. Met him a couple of times and that's his story anyway.

9. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I'd bet he backs off on the volume knob for "cleans", too. Not to mention his pick attack probably changes. And we're not talking that clean... more along the lines of AC/DC type cleans on something like "Ride On".

jpage likes this.
  10. playthecray

playthecray Member

He uses the neck pup a lot when he solos as well.

11. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Oh yeah... that's the creamy tone he gets.
    Man it has been awhile since I've listened to some Mule. Might have to give them a spin.

12. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

If you watch any videos of him, he is frequently adjusting the guitar's knobs.