Gov't Mule...where do I start?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lawrencedesigns, Oct 23, 2013.

1. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

I just heard a few tracks from their new CD and was blown away. I've known about Warren and the band, just never really gave it a listen.
    So where do I start?

2. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

3. PaganBeef

PaganBeef Member

This is not a bad question, even one bit.

I'm not all in with them, and they have a large catalog.

4. noley

noley Frequently Mistaken for Fabio Silver Supporting Member

Live Mule is where it's at. As good as the studio work is, the live shows are where they really shine. Get started here...

http://www.muletracks.com/

n.

5. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

6. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Live at Roseland....but IMO the trio is a bit different than the current lineup.

7. cram

cram Member

I have a recording of 9 15 1995 - what a GREAT GREAT trio. I saw them a few times that year and the bassist floored me.

8. coolhand78

coolhand78 Member

i'd have to say Life Before Insanity, it's still my favorite album of thiers...

9. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Member

Well if you heard the new album and were blown away, you could start there. Myself, an avid Mule fan for years, think their first three studio albums are far and away the best (Gov't Mule, Dose, Life Before Insanity). I could do without most of their studio stuff after that, give or take a few tracks off each album. I prefer them in the power trio format they used to have versus the current lineup (Life Before Insanity started to introduce more keyboard parts and overdubs but it is still closer to original Mule than it is to today's Mule).

In terms of live albums, they are basically all great, just different favors. The Deepest End and Live With a Little Help From My Friends have tons of guest musicians, while Roseland and the GA Bootleg Box is original power trio Mule.

10. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Huge Mule fan.......You can't go wrong with any Mule record, but I will concur with LuckyBlackCat, start with their first 3, then go from there. Personally, I'd do Deepest End CD/DVD after that, but really you can't go wrong with any Mule. I love all of their studio efforts, but live is where they truly shine. I've seen them about 5 times from their first tour on....never the same show (even night to night....) and never a phoned in performance. One of the best live acts out there today....As a matter of fact, I just picked up my ticket for their Nov show here in town....Can't wait!

11. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

Govt Mule,DOSE(my fave), and Roseland ....its hard to stop after these

12. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Love Mule... All of it.
    But agree with the above,especially for starters

13. Gerty

Gerty Senior Member

Watch "Rising Low".

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

you need all of their cd's. i suggest getting them in chronological order. also dont forget the 3 warren haynes solo cd's. they are also great.

15. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

If you like the last stuff, go from the last backwards and stop before Roseland. I would go the other way round and stop with Roseland as I prefer the rawness of the trio by far.

16. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Birth of the Mule, DUH!!! lol

18. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

This.

Those albums with Woody are a must have. I'm a huge Mule fan and have 'em all, but start with Gov't Mule, Dose, Live at Roseland and Life Before Insanity.

19. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I love all the Mule stuff. The 2 previous to the newest one I wasn't real fond of because Gordy Johnson's producing really ruined what Mule can be. Thankfully he didn't do the new one.

Gov't Mule is a band that has evolved since the begining. Not all of it by choice due to Woody's passing. I think it would be a great musical journey to start at the beginning and work your way through the catalog.

The self titled first release and the second release "Dose" are a must to understand how Mule started and the base of their sound. Both should kick your ass in a great way. Raw power trio ass kicking music! The early live stuff is really good as well.

Enjoy the Mule!

20. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Not to mention the guitar tone on Dose is tits! Now that's the way a Les Paul should sound.