Goya Rangemaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wedgehed, Feb 21, 2008.

1. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

It's not a pristine example, but everything works except for the missing tone switch button.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It needs a good cleaning & some rust treatment for the trem arm.

I love these funky old guitars.

:)

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

wow! very cool.

i love those funky guitars too... frankly i'm surprised more people don't show interest in these gems.

3. uberpict

uberpict Member

I had an old hollowbody version of the Rangemaster, which I should have kept!:jo Some of the tones from those little pups were really funky and weird but for the most part it was a really cool axe. :cool:

4. rastus

rastus Member

Rangemaster's are great guitars. I've got a bunch of cheapo 60's axes-they get a bad rep sometimes, but the ones I have have good action and stay in tune. Most sound really unique. Ekos, Goyas, Tiesco Del Ray, Norma, Silvertone and Harmony, Airline, Supro, Lyle, Univox, all those. Some of the more expensive, but less popular stuff from the 60's is really great too, I'm real partial to Kustoms and Hagstroms, but the fashion then was very slim necks with very low action. I like them (heck I like guitars with huge necks, too) they give you tones you can't get with the "big 4" and inspire me to play differently. I love the Rangemaster in particular for surf and "spaghetti" western type playing. Honestly though, I'm in the process of getting rid of a large collection, and most of my "weird guitars" have to go, probably ebay em.

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

6. sears

sears Member

Modern builders seem afraid of cool headstock designs, opting for copies or neutered straight-pull designs.

7. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Hello! Eastwood Guitars! Are you listening? Cool Guitar Alert! Hello??? :D

-db

8. Dewvis

Dewvis Member

Here is my Goya Panther!

I need to pot the pickups. Also I need to change the tuners, and I might also change the bridge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. goodtone

goodtone Member

I may still have a Goya catalog lying around somewhere. Congratulations on a very rare guitar ! They also made a bass version of the same body shape. Awesome !

10. CanogaSlim

CanogaSlim Member

This one used to be a sunburst just like Wedgehed's (but finish was in much worse condition) until I gave it a new life in seafoam green plus an antique white pickguard:

[​IMG]

Aside from peeling off about 6 oz of cracked poly, the biggest challenge was fabricating a replacement tremolo arm.

It's been adopted into a good home by a very talented singer/songwriter in Silverlake, CA.

11. methc

methc Member

I have a rangemaster, red.

Most of the wiring and stuff inside got messed up, I tried my best to make it all work again. The guitar works when plugged in but I'm pretty sure the wiring needs fixing.

It's parked in a corner, don't use it. Just catching dust.

12. Dan578867

Dan578867 Member

Methc
    Do you still have your rangemaster im looking for some parts to complete mine.
    Dan