GP-10 broke my heart today

AdamSH89

I spent almost 2 hours today tweaking around with a GP-10 today. Odd as it is, I was looking at picking it up primarily as an effects processor that just so happened to be able to be a back up rig and wild faux keyboard should I choose to spend the extra cash in the future. BOSS's current digital effects line has some of my favorite sounds (DD-20, RV-5, PH-6, etc.) and this box had many of those types of effects, including stuff I could see myself getting in another pedal: such as a rotary sim. I showed up with a Gibson SG and a set of Westone Um300 IEMs ready to do some work. I got there, dialed in some sounds, and was blown away by how not blown away I was. The delay did not have that pristine high treble fade in the repeats the DD-20 has. The reverb sounded so thin, and the modulated verb was so unimpressive. The rotary just sounded like a junky throbbing phaser. The amp modeling was nice enough, but I've already got a solid direct signal from my Torpedo C.A.B. and Barber Barb E.Q. It had so many amazing features... And MIDI... and it was so perfectly sized... it was supposed to be "the one"; but alas it was not meant to be.

Anyone have this experience? Can anyone redeem my view of the GP-10? Can someone point me to a new potential love?

AdamSH89

Thanks for the suggestions there man, but I was really hoping for purely an effects processor that sounds like specific boss effects. The gt-001 doesn't look conducive to a pedal board, and the gt-100 is a monster haha. I suppose I was just a bit dreamy eyed and too particular. I may try out some zoom stuff or wait for that fractal floor unit for fx...

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I didn't do a side by side with any specific effects, but the GP-10 sounds good to me. That said, which I run it it's GK3 only with a parallel path to a G3>EPSi for my more traditional guitar sounds.

zaboomafoo

Might be the headphones. Impedance might not be good for gp-10. If you did not already, try taking line out into a headphone amp and then into headphones. Or simply into some powered speakers.

AdamSH89

Did you select the right output mode for headphones?
You know, I'm not sure. I pulled it out of the box right there and plugged my in ears into the phone jack, then started editing the first preset. If that first preset didn't have the correct routing, that may have been the issue. Man I hope so. I want to love this box so bad.

Electric I

As someone who is seriously considering the GP-10, hopefully it's just a tweak or two away from sounding great to you.

Feel free to post any new findings you discover.

dayn

Silver Supporting Member
If that first preset didn't have the correct routing
The output is a global setting that needs to be selected. It may have been on headphones, but you would need to doublecheck.

I rarely like those stock patches and make my own. I have a GP-10, and though I have had very limited time to use it yet, I do like what I have heard so far.

You might try looking at the VGuitar Forum, they have a whole GP-10 section, with advice, specs, questions/aswers, unit mods, etc.

Squeakys

I have a GP10 and it sounds quite good to my ears, but I use it with the Gk3. I'll have to try the regular input tonight to see if the quality is the same. I like the delays in it as much as I do my timeline.