Gr-55 to PA

RedDucatieMan

if I send my GR55 direct to a pa do I just go left and right from the unit to 2 channels on the mixer using regular guitar cords and pan each full left and right?

stratrat2000

Yup - that would work. Ideally you would use balanced TRS cables. Live sound is usually mono though, so only one is needed most times (plugging into the left out only automatically sums to mono).

Many of us like to use a good passive DI box (like the Radial ProD2) and XLR cables for the "rounding out" of the sound that a good transformer gives. A DI also means it's easy to interface with just about any stage box when you play larger stages.

RedDucatieMan

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the ProD2. Theoretically I could also run my GT100 through it along with the GR55 and have both going through the PA. Something that sounds cool but would likely be way too cumbersome for me to actually do.

stratrat2000

Easy enough to build a single pedal board with GR-55, GT-100, DI and PSUs mounted. Added bonus would be to link the two units with a short MIDI cable so they change patches together. Then you can even change patches (on both) from your guitar.

Setup is simple - plug in one power cable and two XLRs to the desk/stagebox. Two guitar cables (1 x 13-pin, 1 x normal) and you're done.

You can simplify setup time even further: by running the guitar signal down the 13-pin cable and out of the guitar out jack to the GT. In practice it degrades the signal, but there is a fairly simple mod over on vguitarforums that fixes that.

RedDucatieMan

Do I really need the DI or can I go straight out to the board? Also is there a platform you recommend connecting all this to or is all DYI with some plywood? If it's DYI, what do you use to secure the these fairly expensive devices?

Last edited:

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Shouldn't need a DI box assuming the board can pad the input

RedDucatieMan

OK. It just arrived so I will keep it. I noodled around on the web and the loss of quality from line to mic level doesn't seem like a practical concern. The ProD2 has a 15 db pad button which I assume I won't need to use in a typical set up. Regarding the pedal board - it was sort of a bone head question. Anyway, on further thought, I think the dual set up with GR55 and GT100 will have limited utility for me. I use a lot of modeled ALT turnings on the GR55 and sending the direct out I assume would lead to a horrid mess. However, for the other patches it seems like it would be fun. Thanks so much Stratstrat2000.

stratrat2000

Great. Glad you're sorted. The pads aren't needed in most cases.

On the contrary - like valves, a good passive DI doesn't detract from, but rather adds a certain "something" to an electronic signal. It smooths off the rough edges a little - especially when pushed.

I use DIs on both my GR-55 and on my electronic drum module. Other bonuses to passive DIs: you can experiment with different mic pres for added flavour and; never any problems with ground loops in a complex rig.

Trending Topics