Gr33 in pedal board question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by wesawtheseas, May 3, 2015.

1. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I'm assuming I can put this in line on my pedal board but I'm confused as to where I should. Does anyone have this in the middle of their board?

2. texasdave

texasdave Member

If your are sending the guitar signal thru the 13 pin, from gr33 go guitar out to the pedalboard then pedalboard to amp. Or, if you're modelling guitar and going direct, go pedalboard out to the gr33 L (MONO) RETURN then you have one signal to the house (the main out on gr33)…

This assumes you are going direct to FOH with the synth portion regardless. If you're sending synth to the guitar amp, put pedalboard in loop as above and send main out of GR33 to amp.

Hope that helps. If you setup is different, yell at me.

Texasdave

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I'd be going into it on my pedal board. Then out to an amp. So pedals - guitar synth - amp or guitar synth - pedals - amp depending. That's kinda what I was getting at. No effects loop.

4. texasdave

texasdave Member

Assuming you are just running the 13 pin cable from your guitar, you will put your pedal board in the loop of the GR33 and main out to your amp. Your 13pin output on the guitar is typically switchable, sending synth pickup, mag pickups, or both. When connected as described above, your synth pickup, when active, will be processed by the synth and your guitar pickups, when active, will be processed by the pedalboard. The synth and pedalboard are in parallel, not in series. You typically choose which signal you're using from a switch on the guitar/synth pickup.

This is diagramed well below, just replace your pedalboard with the GT-10/100 pictured. Go from the GUITAR OUT on the GR33 to your pedalboard, then FROM your pedalboard to the L (MONO) RETURN on the GR33. The diagram shows stereo signal back into GR33 but you can absolutely go MONO.

[​IMG]

The GUITAR OUT sends only the unprocessed signal from your magnetic guitar pickups when you have them switched on. By sending the pedalboard back to the L(MONO) RETURN, you've got just one 1/4" cable going to your guitar amp.

If your goal is to feed synth sounds into your pedalboard, you can do it but that seems fairly limiting; if you want to drive synth from the output of your pedalboard, well, you can't, because it requires the 13 pin cable for input.

I used to use this setup fairly regularly. Gave me all my traditional guitar sounds and I could add or jump to synth at the flick of a switch.

I hope this helps. If we're still not on the same page, tell me what guitar and synth pickup system you're using and how you envision cabling from the guitar* and I'll be glad to help.

*GK2 style "stick on" pickups include a 1/4" to 1/8" patch cable to feed your regular guitar output into the synth pickup. This sends your regular guitar signal down the 13 pin cable, which you then can access at the GUITAR OUT on the GR33.

Texasdave

5. gumtown

gumtown Member

You will need the GK hexaphonic pickup or GK ready guitar and 13 pin cable to use the GR-33, and the GR-33 will have to be first in the chain.
    The guitar synth works best output to a full range speaker via a clean power amp, so don't route the synth tones through a guitar preamp if possible.

6. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

Sorry to side track but what is the best 13pin cable? The roand supplied cable breaks too easy.

7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I have my GR33 rackmounted and going to FOH. It is not in my guitar signal chain. Pain in that I have one more cable to use; but I like it better that way.

8. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I was trying to find a way to keep it in line, it seems from what you guys are saying, and I just woke up so maybe I am not processing right just yet that I can do it but everything runs through the synth first and that is fine. It seems this way I can get rid of a few pedals. haha. As long as I can run the synth out into my board I think that will be fine. I am getting it and the GK3 pickup and all cables for a song so If it turns out I don't like it I can just flip the thing. Hoping it works out though!

Thanks a lot!

9. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I was figuring I could run it with the gk3 and when I wanted synth sounds I can run it through the board with the synth sounds or just run it through the board with no synth.

I want to nail this all down before I buy the thing haha.

Also, Ibanez jet king, with the gk3.

Im in a shoegaze band, so I am going to be using it for a lot of choirs and strings and synth lines, mainly.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  10. texasdave

texasdave Member

Yes, mostly, sorta. If you'll patch the pedalboard into the GR33 you'll have both synth sounds and guitar sounds at your disposal. Just have 3 1/4" cables handy when you go to hook it up and you'll on your way.

11. gumtown

gumtown Member

12. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I bought it. Surprisingly easy to set up the GK3. However running the board through my pedal board is yielding less than Ideal results. But I am going to play with it a lot more before I make any decisions.

Thanks everyone who chimed in!

13. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Trust me. Just run two cables and keep signals separate. Make a cable snake if you want to keep it clean.

14. texasdave

texasdave Member

I think he's trying to push synth sounds through his traditional pedalboard… I know where you're coming from w/ 2 cables…

15. gumtown

gumtown Member

You will want to run the GR-33 "guitar out" through your pedal board effects & stuff, then route it back to the GR-33 "Return" then the GR-33 Output to your amp.

You will get better results not running the GR-33 synth tones through your guitar amp,
    GR-33 "guitar out" through your pedal board effects & stuff, then from the effects to your guitar amp, and the GR-33 "Output" to a powered monitor or desk input to a P.A.

16. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

Correct. And I did try, first attempt was unsuccessful. I had lankily installed the GK3 and it tracked great, tried to install again more accurately and the B is acting weird. I played with it quite a bit I envisioned running the pads through my distortion and reverbs but it seems that may not be an option, or if it is not a very good one. I am hoping it sounds OK through a guitar amp. Im not a purist so "ok" is subjective. I would like to find a way to turn the guitar out down and have the synth itself be louder, this is probably buried in the menus.

On one hand its really cool, on the other I picked it up with the pickup for a little over 200 so really I can't expect too much.

yeah this is what I tried out through the board and back in. Hopefully it not sounding that great was because I was using the headphone jack on it and it was just my Ibuds being lame. Will probably find out this weekend.

17. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

[​IMG]

Pleasantly surprised that it all fit on the board.