Grab and go amp, under $400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Martyk, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Martyk

Martyk Member

What do you recommend?

So many raved about the Fender Blues Junior but I HATED it(unreal thin and farty), can't imagine that the Pro Jr sounds any better. Just my opinion.

I want something easy to go to jams with, lightweight, don't want to spend a lot of $. Reverb not required, channel switching not required. I would prefer1x12 but 1x10 may work.

I'm spoiled by my great boutique amps, but for this I want something I don't really care too much about, no emotional involvement here, just want it to sound, well, good. Is that so much to ask for? Oh, and I want it to be cheap, under $400.

Hit me with your big sticks, boys and girls!

2. Bearded

Bearded Member

The obligatory list of amps that can be had in that price range:

Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket
    Peavey Classic 30
    Reverend Hellhound
    Fender Super Champ (if you're lucky)
    Crate VC Series
    Trace Velocette
    Gibson GA-15
    Tech 21 Trademark 60

I'm sure I'll think of more. But that should give you some things to look for and try out.

I'm biased but the Subway Rocket is far and away my favorite :D.

Also, IMHO, the Pro Junior sounds way better than the Blues Jr.

Joe

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Not so much an opinion as an assumption.
    They are two entirely different amps.

Well worth trying a Pro Jnr. I have one and it sounds great for an amp you can buy used for $250.

I use it a bunch for recording through a Marshall 2x12, I don't have any boutique gear but I do have some vintage Vox, Fender and Marshall amps and it hangs very well in that company.
    You will need a pedal for low volume gain though.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

PV Bravo , Pv Classic50, Fender Blues Deluxe, Fender Deluxe Reverb RI ,etc... Youy didn't say what type of music you play , so obviously that figures into the equation.. I have a 1962 Fender Brown Deluxe that'd be killer for some blues guys.. I got it for about 200.00 (They go for 1000 tho) .. ANyway, I have lots of cheap amps but my combos that are grab and go are more money (Thd, Marshall 6100, Demeter tga3, Tremoverb, Valvetronix(sorta broken, sorta not!) , old Fenders, Engl Screamer,etc)

ERIC

5. Mook

Mook Senior Member

Crate V1512.

Mook

6. straticus

straticus Member

My fav all time under $400.00 amp (used) is a Peavey Classic 50 4x10.

Killer bang for the buck amp!:dude

BC :)

7. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

+1

And another vote for the Peavey Classic 30 as well. The Crate will give you some very cool overdriven tones at reasonable volumes. The PC30 is just a great gig-able amp and an outstanding value at $275~$325 used. All IMO, as always. :) CS

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm not real big on modeling amps, I rely on a couple of different Top Hat amps. But I played through one of these amps recently and I was impressed with the results. The Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, is very versatile and has effects to boot. Musicians friend has one for $239. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/112941

It's worth a try.

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

used Peavey Classic 30 with new speaker and tubes.

i'm liking mine with a Cannabis Rex for great cleans/moderate OD.

10. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Reverend Hellhound is a VERY impressive combo in the price range.

11. Martyk

Martyk Member

Man, PV takes the prize so far, who would have thunk it true!

Thanks mateys....

12. ericb

Most musician's I know would think it true.. You are on a forum where most people have lots of money and expendible cash and don't play in bands and prize their amps instead of use them regularly and throw them around and dent them and spill beer on them. They're lucky to me I guess.... I prize some of my stuff for sure and am proud of some ,but I always try to buy what's best for my situation. Almost every musician I know has loads of PV gear from amps to pa to recording gear.. .All I have currently is a PV/AMR VMP2 Tube recording preamp, and a PV modded 5150 head, but have owned other PV amps in the past... They're reliable as hell , and sound great. Use your own ears instead of mine or another internet strangers! :)

ERIC

13. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Excuse me?
    :rolleyes:

14. ericb

What' s the matter?

ERIC

15. Martyk

Martyk Member

No, I actually said that about PV because I have never been impressed by any PV I've played. But I was admitting that there was room for a pleasant surprise if I was wrong in that impression.

16. ericb

That's cool .. as long as you don't like them! I don't like the Classic 30 too much but it gets recommended by lots of people with expensive boutique amps. I wasn't impressed at all . Classic 50's though are used everywhere and sound great. I put 8 years of solid weekend gigs on my old PV CLassic 2x12 but it was long before the Classic 50 redesign.. 5150's (especially w/ small mods) are better than many 2000.00 amps for certain styles. Last time I saw JAZZ is DEAD in concert Jimmy Herring used a 5150 for all his lead work. (a/b'd with a Marshall jmp for rhythm and clean stuff) .. The PV delta blues ain't bad, the Bravo isn't, and many other models are used by National country artists to rock artists. THey get a bad rap because at 1 point they were the Crate of the rock world.. That was in the mid 70's. Lots has changed since then. Meanwhile Crate still gets a bad rap and occasionally I do sound for shows and I've done sound thru big systems (Small concerts) for people who killed using certain Crate amps) I just can't generalize when it comes to amp brands! ERIC

17. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Quite a generalization, that, dontcha think?
    I've been around here long enough to know that:
    Not everyone here has 'lots of money' although that perception is relative to your financial position, I suppose.
    Many members here play in bands or make music for a living, although certainly not everyone-
    Just because 'we' as a group do prize our amps (at least the ones we haven't sold yet) doesn't mean 'we' don't use them, scuff them or spill stuff on them.
    Doesn't mean I'm not lucky....

Generalizations are usually problematical.
    Yes- thats a generalization too.

Back on topic-
    FWIW- I played a gig (yes, a gig) through a borrowed Peavey 30 last week. Pretty good tones overall (not great, just good), hated the reverb.
    To my ears, the Hellhound was a much better sounding, more versatile amp for basically the same money used. YMMV
    Call me a snob, I never met a Peavey that liked me. Lots of guys play them and swear by them. They seem to be the Ford trucks of the industry. Something always bothered me about their products. I guess I'm biased somehow. Hard to explain.

18. retrospex

retrospex Member

I gig for a living and I'm relatively poor and I hang out here and I am a gear fanatic. If you go to the Les Paul Forum that's where guys that don't gig and spend way too much on gear hang out.

19. ericb

Hey wasn't Retrospex an old Ultravox album? Maybe I'm confused :) Been there hundreds of times... there are people who get along on every forum and people who don't . This and harmony central are by far the best amp forums on the net TO ME... Yes I can co-exist!!! I've been on all of them for the 10-12 years from the old Guitarist forum , the original HC , the weber, the plexi palace the 3 Marshall forums, the Fender Forum ,Music Toyz, Gearslutz(formerly expert forums) , Guitarforum , guitardiner, the "Elite" only invited Sunshine Day forum .. haha...and lots of others, and the newsgroups rec.music.makers guitar, and alt.guitar.amps, and rec.audio.pro, etc, but this has the most rich people of any of them on it, and more people buy and sell amps within 3 months on this forum than any of them, and more people sell amps without 1 single scuff mark on them.. That's a great hobby! I have nothing against it, but most of those people who don't like PV haven't a/b'd them against the other amps... That's ok too . They don't have to!!! Anyway, this is 1 of the coolest forums ever and whether the median income on a forum is 30,000/yr or 30,000/month that doesn't matter to me, but it most surely influences a good deal of the content on a gear forum wouldn't ya think?

ERIC

20. ericb