Grab n' Go v. Big Rig Pedalboard

jordane93

Grab and go. I would love to replace the Nova System and get a Helix but I don't have $1500 laying around!

Big board

Kylote

I sort of straddle the line between grab & go and a big board. A PT Jr. is my only board, so it still feels grab & go but I can fit a decent amount of stuff on there.

Getting a true big board means I'd never want to lug it anywhere, and going completely grab & go might limit the amount of sounds I have available.

NHBluesMan

^ same for me, except it's a Novo 18. Feels like a grab and go setup for me, but it covers a lot of ground and does everything I need

Nota

No one can really answer that for you. Personally I hate big boards, I hate tap dancing. I hate thinking about that many effects. My mental capacity can only handle about two before I totally neglect my audience in favor of parameters.

Also, I feel like an idiot if I waltz in a small gig with a ton of gear. It's 80% imagined, but I swear everyone smirks at me and thinks, "Prove it." I don't want to be that guy. I'd rather be the guy that has one or two pedals and impresses rather than the guy with 20 pedals who can't look at his audience ever.

So yeah, for me it's grab and go. Always. There is no big board. It also helps to be a flaming minimalist.

slave

I have both.
I kinda need the big one for gigs just to cover the material, but then my big board is only 8 pedals.
I use the small one (3 pedals) for a lot of rehearsals.

rhysdave

on that.. how do you guys answer the whole.. 'why is your board so big?' attitude that comes from people when you walk in with your big board.. i've got my small 'grab and go' that i use for almost all my gigs, but the big board for those gigs where i need more sounds.. it always gets a few looks of concern and a few grumbles from people (and other guitar players!).. but I love having all the options and using a midi switcher! so how do you repsond to the big board grumbles?

or should i be more confident and not care! haha..

bigaust

Don't give up the ship.
I think your question answers itself by looking at the board. It's never cool to assume what another players needs/doesn't need. Professional side-men are switching to Fractal for live use like crazy for the reason that it's all in the box and on tour, it sounds fine playing in front of thousands of people.

jsytsma

Pedaltrain 2 doesn't feel too big, so I still consider it "grab and go" even though I some some big and serious duty pedals on it.

mitch wilson

I went from Pt-2 to Classic Jr to Metro 16 so I think I value grab n go! ;)

Two H9s controlled via Two Barn3 Ox9s. Tertiary button mutes the 2nd H9 and calls up the tuner. Ep is always on, drive half of caveman is rhythm, with the boost pushed HARD for leads. Running bass through it this weekend and will report back!

BoTheMu

I went from Pt-2 to Classic Jr to Metro 16 so I think I value grab n go! ;)

Two H9s controlled via Two Barn3 Ox9s. Tertiary button mutes the 2nd H9 and calls up the tuner. Ep is always on, drive half of caveman is rhythm, with the boost pushed HARD for leads. Running bass through it this weekend and will report back!
I WANT a second h9. But do I NEED a second h9?!?

Soooo pretty!

Last edited:

MattLeFevers

Pedaltrain 2 doesn't feel too big, so I still consider it "grab and go" even though I some some big and serious duty pedals on it.
Yeah, I use the PT-2 as well. I feel like it barely straddles that line where it's big but not stupid big. I'd love to upgrade and add even more stuff but with how heavy my board is now, a bigger one would definitely never leave the house.

I think it depends on genre, too. If I had a metal show I could bring like two pedals and be good to go but for more ambient stuff I need and use everything on the tap dancin' board.

ClintWells

Fly date board. I have a dual monocase gigbag and this board fits easily into one of the pouches. One guitar, one small board. Simple and easy.

Session/Tour board:

Meriphew

I have a recording/rehearsal board (PT1), and my gigging board (PT Classic jr). I have duplicates of my most used pedals on both boards, but the gig board is simplified with just the essentials.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I too have a main pedalboard and small grab 'n go board. My main board is great, as it has all the sounds on it that I want, but I find myself never really taking it out of the house, preferring my smaller board for most gigs and rehearsals. While I like to have more sounds available to me, in my current gig I sing and play guitar, so having too many pedals is too much to think about. If I ever get another gig where I am just the guitar player, then I'd probably use my bigger board a bit more.

Here's the PT Jr.:

And here's my PT Mini:

MattLeFevers

While I like to have more sounds available to me, in my current gig I sing and play guitar, so having too many pedals is too much to think about.
Ugh. This is so true. My main gig is as a lead guitar player but I was covering vocals for a couple of months just now and it's impossible to do the effects tap-dance while also singing. I would basically turn dirt pedals (and maybe delays) on and off during the song and nothing else. Half my pedal board just sat there unused. It's not worth going for an octave or flange just to add a subtle texture to a riff if it means I miss singing the beginning of the next verse. o_O

Really psyched to be back on just guitar.

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
My problem is that I don't have a large amount of pedals, it's that the pedals I have are REALLY big. So I need a PT-Pro to fit them, and all of the pain in the back hauling that goes with it.

Some of my pedals are CE-1, Big Box DMM, a Maestro Stage Phaser, a Whammy, and a Wah. It's a lot of real estate, but not a lot of effects.

Trending Topics