Grabbed the last Hotcake....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Garygtr, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

....that Brad had in stock at Tonefactor. Been wanting to try this pedal for awhile, I play an EL-84 equipped Top Hat Club Royale and many of you have said the Cakey is the ultimate EL84 amp OD. We shall see! I'm looking to use it for a basic OD, not too high gain at all, and goose it with some fuzz now and then. I'm stoked! :JAM

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Truly a kick ass pedal!

3. drolling

drolling Member

Is this one standard or bluesberry? I've got a Vox amp that can't digest some of the very finest booster/ODs that have served me so well over the years.

Please do post your findings when you've had some time to work w/Hotcake. I'm really hoping that this will be the one..

4. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The Hotcake is the pedal that has been on my pedalboard the longest!

5. T-bone

T-bone Member

I will NEVER be without my Hotcake!
    Be sure to push the front end of the amp with the Hotcake.
    Congrats!

6. b_rad

b_rad Member

With that amp, and for that use I'm sure you'll love it. The Hotcake is a beautiful pedal when paired with the right amp. It's also best used with the gain low and the volume higher, IMO.

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I went for the standard, I did read a post that said the original is better for EL84's and the Bluesberry for 6V6's, but that is just one man's opinion. Still, the standard sounded like what I was looking for.
    As I said in my first post, I'm looking at using the Cake as my primary OD, running the Top Hat basically clean but still pushed somewhat. My signal chain is Throbak Stone Bender (for heavy fuzz)>Throbak Overdrive Boost (lighter fuzz/gritty boost/OD)>VHT Valveulator (after the fuzzes so as not to screw with their dynamic response)>soon to be Hotcake>Ibanez RC-99 Rotary Chorus>Digidelay>Super Chile Picoso>amp.
    Would it be better to put the Cake before the Valveulator as well? If I decided to put the Throbak Overdrive Boost after the Hotcake, will the Cake's buffer cause a problem with the OD Boost since the OD Boost is similiar to a fuzz? :confused:

BTW, both those Throbak pedals are killer!
    drolling, I've got gigs Wednesday and Friday of next week, so I should be able to give a report by the weekend.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Hey thanks Gary! I appreciate your mentioning the EL84 vs 6V6 as well. Somehow I missed that post, and even tho' it's one player's opinion - it's still a critical piece of info.

Pretty much sold on the idea of the Double cake, as I've got some old BF Fenders that might like the other side of the pedal.

I know he's on vacation, but I'm gonna send him an e-mail anyway.

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I'm really loving the Hotcake Bluesberry with my AC30CC. Haven't had a chance to try it much with my Valvetech 1X12 (6V6) since the first channel is hosed, but from what I have heard through the second channel it sounds great. The Bluesberry is just great with EL84s though...I don't think it is so tube-dependant really. The Regular Hotcake is just a little hairier when the gain gets up past 1:00. The Bluesberry has less hair around the notes and a little bit more of a "throaty" tone. The Bluesberry will DEFINITELY still get into fuzz territory when its cranked up (sounds pretty heavy) but is just a little more focused sounding IMO. Both awesome.... If Paul Crowther releases a dual-unit , I'd be very tempted to buy one ASAP.