Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

MrTAteMyBalls

PSA for those like me who have not heard this band:

Saw them last night at red rocks. Blew the roof off the place(well...there is no roof but you get the idea)! I was not familiar with them, but I am a fan now as was most of the audience. They completely won over a sellout crowd, playing a nearly 90 minute set as the opening act. Grace has some crazy pipes and looked great playing that V. I kind of want a V now....lol. I have read mixed reviews of thier albums, but I can attest that the live show is great. They seemed to appeal to young, old, and in between.

I honestly felt sorry for tedeschi trucks for having to follow that.

cr8z4life

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite live band in 20 years........ thats what they do best! What a great venue to see them at! I saw her this winter at the beacon opening night (its been a dream of hers to do the beacon) and it was electrifying......reminded me of the energy in the crowds that bands created back in the 70's and 80s......no one sat down all night......can't say enough about her and her band.

MrTAteMyBalls

My favorite live band in 20 years........ thats what they do best! What a great venue to see them at! I saw her this winter at the beacon opening night (its been a dream of hers to do the beacon) and it was electrifying......reminded me of the energy in the crowds that bands created back in the 70's and 80s......no one sat down all night......can't say enough about her and her band.

Yup....everyone standing for thier whole set. Honestly, after thier set I felt like I got my moneys worth. They should not be opening for anyone.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
GPG & the Ns are a GREAT live band. Their records don't quite do it for me but they are the most exciting band live I have seen in years.
They should get a producer in the studio who realizes their strengths, instead of trying to keep their energy in check to sell records.
Go see 'em live & prepare to have some fun!

We saw them Thursday in Phoenix. Great band. How Grace sings like that night after night is beyond me. She is all around killer!

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen them twice and both times was blown away. The first time, they opened for Gov't Mule....what a show!! At one point in Mule's 1st set, Grace came out and did Gold Dust Woman with them......UN. FREAKING. REAL. During the encore, Scott Turnet came out to play After Midnight. Warren kept going over to Scott's amp and turning it up! One of the better shows I've ever seen. If you want to hear Mule's show you can go to their website and download it, its the Tulsa show from 2009. Well worth it......

While I've got all of their albums, I much prefer them live and won't miss them any time they come to town. Stellar live band. Plus it doesn't hurt that Grace is easy on the eyes.....if I wasn't married, I'd probably be stalking her........:rimshot:banana:drool:D:love:

Sleepwalker

Huh... not to be contrary for the sake of it, but I guess I was the only one underwhelmed by her performance at Red Rocks last night. It wasn't bad by any means, but it certainly didn't grab my attention or impress me. My buddy and I had a wonderful conversation whilst she played, it was alright back ground music, but that was about it.

Derek Trucks last night, however... that was one of the best sets I've seen at Red Rocks in a long time. The whole band is phenomenal and Derek is clearly the best slide guitar player breathing air right now.

MrTAteMyBalls

Huh... not to be contrary for the sake of it, but I guess I was the only one underwhelmed by her performance at Red Rocks last night. It wasn't bad by any means, but it certainly didn't grab my attention or impress me. My buddy and I had a wonderful conversation whilst she played, it was alright back ground music, but that was about it.

Derek Trucks last night, however... that was one of the best sets I've seen at Red Rocks in a long time. The whole band is phenomenal and Derek is clearly the best slide guitar player breathing air right now.

Yeah, Derek is pretty special. His tones and solos were really great! I love how he falls back into the mix and punches out with a lick at just the right time. It was a pleasure to see him play, but those 2 bands are not well matched. It was a total reversal of the energy that grace brought. Everyone sat down and did u notice the mass exodus of people about 3 songs into derek and co set? By the end over 1/2 the crowd was gone. I have never ever seen people leave after the opener like that. Grace was for a rock crowd....derek was playing to the rhythm and blues crowd. 2 different sets of people, really. Derek's set would have gone over better if he had followed J.J. grey(who was also pretty good).

my bud described it as such: Derek's band is the kind of band that musicians would kill to be in, Grace's band is the kind of band that the general public enjoys listening to.

I enjoyed both, but it was not a good match for a show, IMO.

EDIT: I was equally impressed with Derek's non-slide work. Dude just kills it in any style, really.

sws1

Saw them at the Stone Pony at the start of this most recent tour. It was electric.

adjeff2706

Platinum Supporting Member
Saw them in February down at the Fillmore in Miami Beach. Didn't know much about them, but they put on one of the best shows I have seen in quite awhile. I'm a fan now.

jay42

Let's be serious about them....killer players, great vibe, material is not what it might be. Should they stay pure, or do other people's music?

MrTAteMyBalls

Let's be serious about them....killer players, great vibe, material is not what it might be. Should they stay pure, or do other people's music?

Tough to say. Last night was my first exposure to them.

What is difficult is to determine if the problem is with the material itself, or that the band has not really been captured properly on record. I can't say I noticed any lack of quality material last night and have never heard any of thier recorded works.

Live, they sounded like a very healthy hard rock band with no quality issues whatsoever. I will judge for myself soon enough as I plan to get a couple of thier records this week. Bands that rely on VIBE can have a very hard time making great records, because many times vibe does not come across on the recordings. Sometimes it takes the right studio, right room, right producer, right brand of beer, coffee, and T.P. for magic to happen.

evildik

I'm a huge fan as well but I have to agree that the studio stuff can be hit and miss. The same can be said for most of the live in studio performances I've seen. They are however incredible live and in person. Most ofthe best live stuff you'll find on YouTube seems to be fan shot recordings. The live video of her playing with Satriani doing a cover of Cortez the Killer at the Jammy awards a few years back is, we'll killer too.

Victor R

Endeavor to Persevere
Platinum Supporting Member

Thank you. I saw them and was underwhelmed too. If the material is weak, then the band is weak. She is purty tho.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom