• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Graduation Day : Garageband to Logic Pro X

Lef T

It must be time.
I've been using Garageband for a while now,not really thinking of moving over to Logic Pro.
I checked out the possibility of using Logic and found they offer a free 90 day trial.
Why not give it a go.
Just downloaded it and I'm ready to explore.
How many current Logic Pro users here started with Garageband and eventually moved over to Logic?

BenF

Gold Supporting Member
I did. i debated it for a while but I’m very glad I made the move to Logic. More flexibility in Logic and it can do things that GB can’t, like odd time signatures.

JPF

I upgraded from GB to Logic X 8 years ago, and never looked back. Intuitive, powerful, with a massive ecosystem of courses (Udemy) tips, demos and how-to videos to ramp up the learning curve.the only add-on I’m considering at this stage is a controller (Leaning towards Behringer at the moment).

natebernstein

It must be time.
I've been using Garageband for a while now,not really thinking of moving over to Logic Pro.
I checked out the possibility of using Logic and found they offer a free 90 day trial.
Why not give it a go.
How many current Logic Pro users here started with Garageband and eventually moved over to Logic?
I moved up 4 years ago and really happy I did. There are enough similarities between the two that the learning curve isn't too steep. There are probably still a lot of features in Logic I don't take advantage of, but just watching a few tutorial videos online got me familiar enough with editing/mixing/plugins/etc. that I'm very comfortable now. If you do a lot of self-overdubbing to build songs the Logic Remote (using an iOS device) feature is awesome. Not sure if they have that in GB now but I use it a ton in Logic, as I've been starting to track in a different room from where my computer/interface are set up. Good luck and have fun!

Stokely

There are some fantastic youtube vids on LPX. I've been using it for a while but never really did any kind of comprehensive learning spree, I look up things that I need as I go (I have a lot of sequencer and daw experience so I know a fair bit of what's possible). However, after watching a vid on youtube I like to see what related content might pop up, because I've come across videos features I didn't even know existed, like track stacks (what a great thing!). The other day I saw someone use a track alias--again, didn't know that even existed! They were using an alias to a drummer track to be able to use a different drum library for the "AI" drummer track. (Though I must say, after learning about the Producer kits I'm probably sticking more with the LPX drums, those are super handy since they give you control over each drum, on different mixer channels as well.)

In particular I got a lot out of one Sean Devine vid on the different LPX compressor modes. Other content providers (this is not all) that I recommend are: "Why Logic Pro Rules" and "Musician on a Mission".

I find Garage Band kind of confusing and frustrating but it's just the same issue as going the other way--just used to the old traditional DAW :) I had woes with Ableton Live at first too...they all come with a steep and long learning curve even if you have some experience. Just a ton of features, too many to just pack into big tabs or buttons in obvious spots. For example, I was wanting to draw in controller messages in the piano roll, something I've done in other sequencers many times. Could not find it, finally a video showed me that I have to turn on automation ("a") while having the piano roll selected to be able to see aftertouch/controllers etc down there.

A while back, had a particularly heavy session where I (over)used certain synths in their highest-quality mode and wanted to freeze a few tracks. Where the **** was freeze, I knew it had to be there...once again, to the vids I went!

Last edited:

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I lasted like 2 hours on Garage Band. Can't do odd time signatures or tempo changes. For me, makes it a non-starter for anything other than the simplest of sketching.

Logic Pro X is the best $200 I've ever spent.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
It must be time.
Why not give it a go.
I used GB for a few years and transitioned to LPX a few weeks ago.

LPX is closer to the ProTools and Sonar DAWs I’ve used in the past.It’s a lot more complex than GB, but has many more useful features.

The mixer view is reason enough to upgrade from GB.

Stokely

Alchemy alone, back when it was Camel Alchemy, cost more than 200 (I think a lot more). I always forget about it, it's an amazing synth. O the gnashing of teeth when Apple bought it and made it Logic-only (from all the non-logic users)! Logic also has Camel's phat and step fx now, if those were standalone plugins they wouldn't be cheap either.

smellytele

Silver Supporting Member
There are some great courses on Udemy for learning LPX. I picked one out for around $15 and I'm about halfway thru. I've been using Logic for a number of years for very simple things, mostly editing audio for video (which Logic does great with), but I never really learned all the shortcuts, work flow, deeper editing, etc. I've learned a TON from going thru this course. I also bought a course on Final Cut, but I haven't had time to start it yet.

carl_is_tall

I did the same thing during the spring while sitting at home during quarantine. Bought it and I've never looked back. Monitoring input levels alone and the mixer window is worth it for me.

Lef T

I did the same thing during the spring while sitting at home during quarantine
I'm in the same boat at the moment.
I'm in Canada and my girlfriend is in the U.S.
Borders have been locked down for 8 months now and probably wont open till next year.
I've got lots of time on my hands.
Time to dig into Logic.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Tere are too many reasons to step up.
As all purpose thing for 2 bucks it's pretty amazing.
I got into almost 2 decades ago at v4.8

Atmospheric

Me too. I got about 10 days into the free trial and just pulled the trigger. Logic Pro X is awesome.

Last edited:

Trending Topics