Graduation Gift Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stringmaster, May 4, 2015.

1. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

I'd love some feedback:

My daughter is earning her Bachelor's degree next month, and is continuing on to get her teaching credential. She's 31 y.o., and went back to school at about age 27. Since she began I've been helping to support her by paying a portion of her tuition, and I also contribute monthly to her living expenses (she's working part time and getting help from other family and some grant money). When she goes back after the summer I will continue to contribute until she earns her credential.

Part of me feels like since I've been contributing thousands for the last several years and will continue to do so, that a substantial graduation gift isn't needed. Perhaps a small gift of congratulations or even a nice dinner/night out? I am very proud of her and don't want to feel like I'm "cheaping out"--especially since it's likely she will be getting gifts from others. FWIW, the contributions I've made do come at a sacrifice to our household--it's not just "mad money".

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

2. jorlevis

jorlevis Member

take her and get her a nice suit/outfit for the job interviews to come.

3. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Perfect! :aok

Don't forget shoes and a purse too.

Maybe even a 'do if you're feeling flush.

4. GasMask

GasMask Member

Suit is a good idea. A few others:

computer/tablet
    phone
    watch
    token amount to open savings/investment account in her name

One more strange one... a friend of my father's gave me a high quality desk lamp when I graduated from high school. I'm 53 now, and it's still going strong- as I type! It's benefited me all day every day for decades. Try to think of something that will stand the test of time....

5. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Thanks guys, but she's a good year and a half away from job hunting--still has to go through the credential program--so the outfit suggestion might be premature. Also she's pretty well connected with electronics.

6. newking70

newking70 Member

7. Bogner

Bogner Member

I know you have helped her a great deal but I wouldn't personally skimp. I would do something wonderful for her. A nice dinner and maybe something special. A watch, bracelet, something near and dear from the heart that she can anchor to in tough times, for strength or simply a smile that reminds her that you pulled through. Engrave a bracelet, earrings, something special that will last her a long long time. You only live once, no regrets....do it right. :)

8. Mark EL

Mark EL Supporting Member

Here's a couple slightly "out of the box":

-a decent tool set for home, a tool/survival kit for car (flashlight, tire inflator etc. In a decent pack)

- a really nice, possibly "feminine", folding knife

- a decent set of luggage. 3-4 piece, suit bag, large and small roller, personal carry on

- a nice leather or other such briefcase

- a good ukulele or other musical instrument

- a lightweight revolver

- a good set of kitchen knives

- a good set of cooking utensils (pots/pans/lids) and baking pans

My wife and sister have enjoyed all of the above.
    Good luck.