Graffiti Yellow Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mqqse, Oct 5, 2018.

1. mqqse

mqqse Silver Supporting Member

I remember seeing a strat in a book published in the 90s that was referred to “Graffiti Yellow,” anyone own one in that color? I believe it was a late 80s Strat Plus.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    m.e. likes this.
  2. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I used to have this one. It wasn’t an original, but I wanted that color, so my friend painted it. I tried a few different pickups and bridges-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    m.e., Rayzaa, gijoe and 12 others like this.
  3. John C

John C Supporting Member

I don't own one, but I do remember them - they were only made for a few years. The "urban legend" is that the color was developed while they were trying to develop a signature model for Jeff Beck in the 80s - around the same time that they did the Clapton Strat and the Malmsteen Strat, both of which came out in 1988. It was "Graffiti Yellow" because it was supposed to be the same color as the yellow hot rod driven by John Milner (Paul LeMat) in the movie American Graffiti - and they thought that Beck, being a hot rod builder, would like the color.

Beck didn't go for a signature model at that time; the prototypes they were working on for him became the Strat Plus and the original version of the Deluxe Strat Plus. Those models, plus the American Standards were available in the color.

They eventually did get a Jeff Beck Signature model done, but not until 1990, and they never did use the Graffiti Yellow on it.

m.e., skydog, jerrycampbell and 4 others like this.
  4. jetydosa

jetydosa Supporting Member

I had a 87 American Std in that color I bought new. Cool color. I have only seen 1 other in that color since then in person, and that was a used Strat Plus at a shop ~1993.

5. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Graffiti yellow ESP Series 400 from around 87 or 88 on the far left.

[​IMG]

ShredSquatch and Talktomehudson like this.
  6. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Tom DeLonge Strat and Powerhouse Strat came in that color.

7. shane8

shane8 Member

ShredSquatch likes this.
  8. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

I worked at a Fender dealer, during that time ('87-'91).
    Graffiti Yellow was not a standard color for the American Standards, however, Fender was experiencing great delays, waiting for some parts to complete a run of the Strat Plus model, for which that was a color option (I can't remember whether it was the Wilkinson roller nuts or the Sperzel locking tuners. They switched to Schaller locking tuners and LSR roller nuts, after a while, so it could have been either). In the meantime, they offered some American Standard Strats in that color, as they had the bodies already painted. They also did some in Lake Placid Blue, for the same reason.

There was also a run that they dubbed "Deluxe American Standards," which had Gold Lace Sensors (like the Strat Plus) with a conventional nut and non-locking tuners.

jetydosa likes this.
  9. Digidog

Digidog Member

mqqse likes this.
  10. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist

I think @Pedal Dan had a recent post on this and has a few with that awesome color!

~ss

Pedal Dan likes this.
  11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I’m on a Cyclone kick... I’ve got 3!

Here’s my first, in Graffiti Yellow. Named after John Milner’s ‘32 5 window in... American Graffiti!

12. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist

13. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Yellow guitars are my weakness.

Well...one of my weaknesses.

I just sold my Vintage White/Buttercream Roadhouse Strat but if I ever come across a Graffiti Yellow Strat, it’s coming home.

14. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Cool color

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  15. John C

John C Supporting Member

I had totally forgotten about Fender bringing that color back on the Powerhouse Strats, Delonge Strats and the Cyclones; good catch! The original run on American Standards/Strat Pluses/Strat Plus Deluxes was fairly short, and not many of them were made.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I can’t remember the Fender rep who brought one out on the road with him to different stores in like 1988 or 1989, it may have been Jack Schwart. he had one built by the Custom Shop that was originally made for Jeff back and told me all about it. It was so cool!

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I seem to remember late 80s Strat Plus graffiti yellow had a little more cream in it than the later versions. I shopped those quite a bit and wound up with the coral (dusty rose?) version. Dusty rose kind of reminded me of a softer fiesta red, again, more cream. I got a great price on the rose version but if price hadn't won out I would have hit graffiti yellow in a heartbeat. Now days, for me, these guitars carry a price that is way to precious for what they are. So I will live without.

I have to assume Fender knows best and maybe these colors weren't movers but I do wonder why they are so stingy with the cooler colors.

hunter

18. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I almost got a Powerhouse Strat in this color myself. I was very close to pulling the trigger but ended up changing my mind and got my MIM 50's reissue in surf green instead. I do love it, but sometimes I wonder if I should have gone for the Powerhouse instead. I think in the long term, I definitely like the surf green color better but that Powerhouse sure sounded good! I couldn't play them back to back as they were at different stores, but the feel of the surf green one sealed the deal for me.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  19. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Member

I bought a 1989 Yellow with lace pickups at samash when they were unloading them
    at closeout prices...…...JT

Soothsayer and shane8 like this.
  20. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

I think it was the other way around. Jeff Beck approached fender and asked for basically a 60s reissue Strat in the same colour as the car from American Graffiti. Fender agreed but they saw it as an opportunity to convince Beck to do a signature model. So they produced two guitars; the 60s reissue as requested and also a more modernised design that they thought would suit his playing style. I’m not sure if the guitar he has used for years is the one (I think actually it’s one of three) they gave him then.