Grammatico?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by runningman, Jul 23, 2019.

1. runningman

runningman Member

This seems like an odd choice for the 2.8 update. It's apparently a boutique Tweed Deluxe. By a builder very few have heard of. On top of the actual Tweed Deluxe that's also included in the update.

I'm all for unconventional, but it seems to me that there are dozens of popular original amps yet to be modeled, including but not limited to:

Top Hat
    Bruno
    Morgan
    Bad Cat

and of course, Dumble.

Did anyone actually request the Grammatico? How are these seemingly random decisions made?

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Good point! (I’m still column B:)) maybe an employee had one.....

JiveTurkey likes this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao

4. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

5. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Not really that hard to figure out. The fact that they were able to use the real name suggests they have a relationship of some sort with the builder, and that let them easily acquire a great sounding Fender variant - the type of which lots of people were asking for - that no other modeling or profiling platform has.

6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Great move on the builder's part; imo.

7. Kylote

Kylote Member

I had never heard of them but I dig it in the Helix. I fast-tracked it to a preset I used on Sunday :D

My tradition is with any new firmware to make a preset (in this case '2.80 Test') where I put every new amp and effect in the patch and just tinker with them. I was actually more drawn to the Grammatico than the Fullerton model. That could change with time, but I immediately liked what I heard with the Grammatico.

MaxTwang likes this.
  8. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I kind of like the fact that we have access to an amp model that a majority of players would never get to experience in real life. The Trainwreck model is the same way... I think the amp they modeled for that costs $30,000.

9. Rayf

Rayf Member

100% agree with you on that. A while back I believed that amp modeling inadvertently took money out of the pockets of the actual amp manufacture. I think it was Frank Ritchotte that pointed out that a lot of builders request their amps to be included for the exposure and it actually leads to more sales. I have to agree with that. Never in my life would I have played a Mesa Boogie amp but now the Lone Star is at the top of my list.....once my kids are big enough not to destroy everything I own.

10. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

And I think I like the Grammatico more than the actual Fender. The jumped model is pretty sweet. Farts out and goes into “amp about to explode” mode pretty quickly, so be aware of gain and master settings. I’m really liking the Zen drive, with volume turned down, in front. Great amp with my single coils.

11. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Don't forget, the "Litigator" is a dumble-esque model

12. runningman

runningman Member

I suppose that's possible, and on some level it would make sense...if L6 were a tiny startup on a shoestring budget. But they're not. They are a subsidiary of a multi-national conglomerate.

Look, you have to ask yourself what the purpose of these updates are. In other words, since L6 is presumably in business to make money, how do these updates contribute to that goal?

Well, they add value to the unit, which makes existing users happy and ultimately more loyal. They also demonstrate to prospective buyers that L6 continues to support the unit, potentially driving sales. But more than anything, I would think that adding additional models makes the unit more attractive relative to other similar units on the market. In other words, the 'stable' of amps is a feature which can be used in marketing the unit.

I would be willing to bet that fewer than 1% of potential Helix buyers have heard of Grammatico. I'm sure they're lovely amps, but no one has ever heard of them. The bottom line is that adding this amp will clearly not entice someone considering various competing modeling devices to choose the Helix.

The only thing that makes sense, other than Grammatico is somehow related to a L6 exec--or has leverage over one ;)--is that Grammatico is paying L6 for the privilege. Otherwise, this would seem to be an utterly asymmetrical relationship, where Grammatico benefits significantly more than L6.

13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

That's my favorite thing about this amp. It has replaced parallel Vermin and Arbitrator Fuzz (with EQ) into my usual Litigator for my broken fuzz tone.

14. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

They look like nice amps. Jimmy Vaughan uses two Grammatico "Bassman".

DETRONATI and Alan Dunn like this.
  15. mikah912

mikah912 Member

You're really overthinking this.

One of the most popular requests on Ideascale is "More Fender Amps" (The exact request has something like 580 votes, but in aggregate the requests for additional Fender amps have more like a thousand).

They have more than catered to Marshall lovers and high gain lovers in the last several updates. Now, they have a chance to fill out the Fender offerings with both a brand new set of Tweed models and a boutique variant of pretty high quality. Its obscurity helps people judge it on its own terms rather than judging it against their experience with said amp. And again, it's a Line 6 exclusive that Fractal, Amplifire and Kemper don't have. The fact that they're not copying the vast Fractal lineup amp-for-amp absolutely makes Helix as a platform more appealing. The same reasoning goes for the Revv, Archon and Victoria Electro-King. Or the Line 6 Original amps.

The fact that more people haven't heard of it is a feature, not a bug.

16. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I think you're reading a lot into this... I think a lot of it comes down to someone on the Helix team seeing or hearing an amp and thinking, "man, that would be cool to model!". Grammatico amps aren't exactly unheard of. They have players like Billy Gibbons, Gary Clark Jr., Buddy Guy, and Steve Miller on the artist list.

As far as enticing new buyers, I think everyone is looking at different things as far as features go. Maybe you don't care about this amp, but others do.

In the huge Helix Facebook group, I think I've seen more positive comments about this amp model than any of the other new additions - perhaps even more than the Revv Generator model.

17. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Wow, a LOT of assumptions in there.

I disagree with your idea that the Grammatico wouldn't attract attract buyers. If someone considering a Helix looks through the amp list, sees it, and does any research, including here on TGP, or on their other amps, they'll see that it's a highly respected boutique amp and builder, and can hear clips of it to decide for themselves.

Bottom line is that unique and respected amps are a draw to any modeler. Pretty obvious I think.

The idea that there's some hidden conspiracy or bribery going on needs more evidence than you thinking of it to mean anything.

bpayne82 and LordByron like this.
  18. runningman

runningman Member

Super Reverb
    Vibrolux
    Princeton Reverb
    Vibro King
    Super Sonic

You're telling me Grammatico takes precedence over those models? :rotflmao

odourboy and mikebat like this.
  19. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, it obviously did... The thing is it definitely has a more unique voice than any of those models. All of those models, except for the Princeton, are pretty darn similar. The Fender models available now can definitely get into that territory... The Super Sonic is kind of a blend of previous Fender circuits, so I honestly don't know if it's even worth modeling.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  20. mikah912

mikah912 Member

It doesn't take precedence. It complements them. You might as well say:

Silver Jubilee
    JCM800 2203
    Marshall Major
    JMP

You're telling me a Trainwreck or Friedman BE100 takes precedence over those models?!?!?

LordByron likes this.