1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Grammy Outrage Thread (non-specified)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dasein, Feb 10, 2019.

1. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

Without reading all 14 pages, Diana Ross blew everyone else away. Her voice is better than ever at 75!

2. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I was surprised that he played well enough. I went to the Chicago Auto show yesterday with my kids - grown, but still my kids. My son streamed some Post and Travis Scott - must say that they share some similarities. I don't mind listening to it, even though it is not something I would buy.

Pedal Dan likes this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

No, "At Fillmore East" or "Caravanseri" didn't win best album, but I still like a lot of pop music, and a lot of things I heard on The Grammys last night. Did I like it all?...no...or like it all equally?...no...but the thing is...if you ignore it all (things were better before)...just ignore any new music...then you don't even get the chance to hear things you actually might like.

Johnny Ninefingers, xzacx and MikeFM like this.
  4. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

Silly me, I thought it was 'Malone'. lol
    So this kid took his last name, made it his first name........ then decided he would take the first surname he saw on a gravestone while getting high in a cemetery and use it as his??

5. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Member

my wife:
    "Grammys were dominated by gay women.
    The very next level from the dudes. :p
    Progress? :dunno "

6. Dasein

Dasein Member

She's a common lip sync'r..... usually because her performances are heavy on choreography. Sometimes it's a mix - sometimes it's hot mic blended with tracks - Lots of these dance heavy performances have partial lip syncs.... but you know this.

7. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

i would term it more like, popular = manipulated. :D

8. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

The guy banked 12 mil last year, in what a lot people call a dying industry for new artists..,

Maybe it’s the name. ;)

Sloop John B likes this.
  9. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Very true. I thought the same thing. :D

10. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

Could be. Think I'll name my kid, "Hydraulic Fluid"

Maybe 'Archer Daniels Midland'. Instant endorsement deals! $$$

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

She was good, but I don't think she blew anyone away, except for maybe Dolly. As for the best vocal performances last night....to my ears they were Brandi Carlile, Chloe and Halle, and Shay from Dan + Shay...
    Which women are gay (according to your wife)?

12. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

I don't disagree. I've liked Childish Gambino's last couple of albums, Taylor Swift since 1989 (the album not the year), and was one of the few who thought Maroon 5 was a great choice to play the Superbowl. And that's just for pop music. I listen to other styles of music more often, to be honest. I just feel that the Grammys do a disservice to music, that's all. Just my opinion.

13. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Member

feels like a loaded question, and I really couldn't tell you who the winners were. But to my knowledge, and this is according to the ladies themselves, not me and my wife, but I know for sure two of the performers were gay. In any case, if you're gearing up for a wadded-panty internet fight, this is a comic observation and indictment of bro-culture more than anything...

and here, a quick search turned up this:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc...q-women-shine-61st-annual-music-event-n970091

14. Dasein

Dasein Member

To be fair she was pitchy as hell and quite shaky.... but she's old so what do you expect.

EricPeterson likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, I thought she started out surprisingly strong, and got pitchy later...still a good performance. They probably shouldn't have had her walking up and down stairs and through the audience trying to sing at the same time...heck, she's 75!

Pedal Dan likes this.
  16. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

While I know she did blended in her early tours where
    she danced all over a 120 foot stage....I seriously doubt she
    had anything backing her at the Grammys - unless you count
    the 2 vocal doublers and the Autotune unit.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  17. micycle

micycle Member

Nope! I jumped off that train in the early/mid 90s, I just sort of lost interest. I love the pop music that was big in my formative years (70s/80s in my case), but as soon as I started really getting into music like Zappa, Primus, Melvins, and Mr. Bungle, that's where it was at for me! I've liked some newer top 40 stuff I've heard over the years, but not enough to want to seek more of it out on my own.

Usually when I want to hear something "new" I go the opposite direction and start looking into the influences of my influences.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  18. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I don’t think he likes anyone. :)

19. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

The Beatles won 4 Grammys in their 1964 to 1970 period, and John and Paul one for songwriting "Michelle". Best new artist, best vocal performance for Hard Day's Night, and two for best album and contemporary album for Sgt Pepper's. Kind of surprising given the band's global impact. Stones, Led Zep, The Who, ABB...none during the 1960-1970s...tells one that Grammy's aren't about great music nor rock.

Best albums and songs awards of that period went to Herb Alpert, Frank Sinatra, 5th Dimension, BS&T then Simon and Garfunkel, Carol King, George Benson, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, G Harrison for Bangladesh, Captain & Tennille (classic, for sure) and The Doobies in 1980. Stevie Wonder cleaned up in the 1970s with 3 best albums, someone was awake then because he makes more music in a measure than most do in an entire album.

Watched the whole silly show last night with my wife, who wanted to see who these folks our daughters talk about and the red carpet/fashion stuff. Seemed to me that show was 90% about almost everything but the music...fashions, dancing, production, image creation like what character is Gaga going to be.

That being said, Smokey still has it, Dolly and girls doing Neil Young was her best segment, Chloe & Halle and Dan + Shay along with Brandi Carlile (her people needed English spelling lessons) had great voices and performances...too bad there wasn't more of that along with a jazz performance, a rock one (the RHCP sounded pretty weak, to me...and why the Sonny Bono mustache and bowl cut?)...more music, less stage show theatrics. J Lo's butt is something, but what's a Latina doing honoring Motown for a big chunk of the show when current/authentic musicians could be showing their stuff???

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    GtrGeorge! likes this.
  20. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

J Lo just needed to show everybody she's still hot.

Pedal Dan likes this.