Granular manipulators at pace

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by '90s Pacifica, Oct 22, 2019.

1. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

Whenever I watch demos of petals like the Mood, Red Panda Particle, Count to 5, and whatever signal deconstructing and reassembling pedals, the guitarist always plays languid, ambient pieces. There might be dirty involved, but it's still laid back and slow paced.

Does anyone use these pedals to play something more raucous, fast and up tempo? Tropical **** Storm use a Count to 5. Anyone else?

hippieboy and Not Orange like this.
  2. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i do, and have done for a long time..... but i've never really got on with idiomatic limitations.

4. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

What sort of pedals, then? I was thinking of getting a red panda particle 2, but I want to avoid getting something that will only be useful at home. I play in a psych band and I'd want it to sound good paired with fuzz pedals and contributing to a noisy mix.

5. splatt

hexe reVolver 2
    hexe reVolver DT
    hexe reVolver DX
    hexe reVolver DX-L

chase bliss blooper (TBR in december 2019)

rackmount w/pedal controller: echoplex digital pro (with LoopIV software)

other choices, too.

6. jondom22

jondom22 Member

Particle V2 + fuzz + expression to control mix or freeze threshold is mad glitchy noisy fun.

FWIW I’m not a looping/ambient type of player, so the particle v2 was best suited to my needs for creating glitchy or granular type stuff.

7. splatt

fwiw, freezing IS looping.

but, the act of looping def does not require some kind of social allegiance to any fabricated flags of stereotypical ambientification; like a guitar, you can use it wherever tf you like.

Davin Kuntze and jondom22 like this.
  8. jondom22

jondom22 Member

Most def dude. I just meant that you don’t need to stomp on footswitches to capture the samples with particle, cos you can do it by setting the freeze threshold (triggered by envelope), or via expression. I reference the word ambient per the OP, conventionally referring to the creation of pads and manipulated loops and samples (tho not everyone does it like that).

Some quick improv stuff with particle v2 I recorded when I first got the pedal and was figuring it out. Some clean, some with fuzz https://m.soundcloud.com/jon-dom/sets/red-panda-particle-v2

Btw love your playing man! One of these days I gotta hit u up for a lesson in the city.

hippieboy, Dandolin and splatt like this.
  9. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Are there any particular pieces of yours you can call out as raucous @splatt?

A lot of your stuff that I have heard could be described as laid-back, so I'd love to hear some other sides.

10. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

Thanks heaps, @jondom22 . I think you've understood me perfectly - I was just using "ambient" to invoke a shared understanding, notwithstanding that it's a problematic cliche. I'll listen to your samples as soon as I'm able.

I don't know your music, @splatt Under what name? I'll have a listen.

I'm just keen to hear some of these pedals played in a fast-paced context. Like this maybe, though I don't really know who's doing what with what:

Svenska_Papaya likes this.
  11. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

12. splatt

dig the clip!
    i'm in and out of the city, most usually in brooklyn..... but i don't live there.
    we're playing some weirdo stuff there at one of my truly favorite clubs --- the sultan room at turks inn, in bushwick --- on Jan 17.

Not Orange, Davin Kuntze and jondom22 like this.
  13. splatt

well, it's def our cup of tea, here in this thread!
    listening now.

14. splatt

love it! grindy glitch + fuzz!
    just did a track with Ho9909 (from newark), myself, and one with r. blythe from "lamb of god", though neither tune fits in any clear box.

15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Oh man that sounds like it'll probably be a wild track!

16. Dandolin

Dandolin Member

Digging these last few clips. Would love to hear you interacting with Randy Blythe @splatt :D

17. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

Some great sounds in there! That's really helped me hear the pedal in a context more similar my own sound. Thanks heaps.

jondom22 likes this.
  18. jondom22

jondom22 Member

Sick, that’s a few blocks away from me in bushwick, will def swing by. I’m sure we’ve crossed paths at some point at a show :)

19. jondom22

jondom22 Member

Thanks man! Lots of cool stuff you can make with it. You can get some nice grimey frequency modulation/ring mod-Esque sounds in pitch:dens mode by making the chop knob (grain size) down to almost nothing and then the param knob around 1:00ish, and put the pitch knob where you please. If you want that just as a delay, then just tap in a tempo and set your blend mix and now you’ve got freq shifted repeats. But the best thing is to plug it into the web editor on google chrome and mess with all the sliders and buttons until you hear something you dig.

chunky48 and '90s Pacifica like this.
  20. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member