Graph Tech saddles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Laroosco!, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Breaking strings like crazy with my 335 and am considering these saddles toput an end to it.

I've heard that they dull the attack a little, but I'm curious just how much.

Thanks

2. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

You probably just need to wrap your strings over the tailpeice. if you dont know how, just insert them from the front and then pull them over the top of it. this will greatly decrease the break angle and it gives you a better tone (in my opinion). It is at least worth trying. You also could take some fine sandpaper to the saddles as you also probably have a few burrs on them.

I also have the graphtechs on my les paul, and it is my favorite guitar. IT sounds great, and I have never thought of it as having a dull attack.

3. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I've got Graph-techs on my #1 Les Paul Custom, never once found it dulled the attack, to my ears it seems to have a touch more sustain now - although in fairness, the orginal saddles were on the brink of death.

4. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

There are definitely burrs in the saddles. I sanded them down but they still break(just not as often) Honestly I'm tired of dealing with it.

5. PKAZ

PKAZ Member

I use TUSQ saddles (by the same company) on both of my ES-335's and my ES-336.

They sound better to my ears than the Graphtech String Saver saddles (the black ones).

Brighter is not the right word.. maybe "more clarity" and more sustain in the note. They sound better than the regular (brass?) saddles too.

Plus the TUSQ saddles look almost like the nylon saddles of the 60's 335s. Looks great on my Historic '63 335.

And most importantly, I have never broken a string with them and I bend the crap out of the strings when I play.

6. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

I have Graphtechs on everything! My PRS McCarty started breaking strings after about a year and after trying a few other things, the FINAL solution turned out to be getting the bridge with adjustable saddles and putting Graphtec saddles on it. That was 5 years ago and I have literally not broken a string since! Also put Graphtec on my LP and Strat with the same results. I could not be happier!

7. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Sand 'em, use a lil steel wool, then a dab of vaseline. Otherwise just get the graphtechs....I used to break a high E pretty much every other time I picked up my les paul but now strings last through several practices or two gigs (I won't use strings for more than two gigs, though)

8. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

I put some of the newer graph tech saddles (the steel saddles with just a graphite insert where the string hits the saddle) on my guitar. The tone or sustain has not changed in any perceptible way. My tuning stability has improved a bit, since the old saddles had some pretty deep grooves worked into them. You could do a lot worse for your money.

9. plygtar

plygtar Member

1+ on Graph tech saddles. They work. Old grooved saddles were causing string breakage.

10. brad347

brad347 Member

they work but I'm going back to the originals on my jazzmaster. They just took away something from the sound.

11. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

+1 on Graph Tech saddles fr Gibson!

12. Jman60

Jman60 Member

I have Graph Techs on one of my LP's and no problems
    with breaking strings here, came with the guitar when
    I bought it.

13. 6789

6789 Member

I read on one thread that I'd get a better sound if I lowered my stop tail but then I started breaking lots of strings on my SG with a tunomatic bridge until I raised the stop bar back up higher. I guess the angle was too much.

14. rrhea

rrhea Member

Tone is a subjective thing, or course, so I'll only offer an opinion. I think the Graph Tech stuff deadens the sound of a guitar by removing vital high frequencies from the overall tone.

I used the bridge saddles on a couple of guitars for a while and thought they sounded great until I got a new Strat that sounded so much better than my old one (that had the GTs on it). I did a quick, simple experiment by putting the original saddles back on the old Strat and "boom", tone was restored.

Since then I have never felt the need to use GT saddles or nuts. If your current saddle slots can't be sanded smooth (which would be odd), then just replace them with brand new steel ones.

RR

15. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I've been told (just yesterday) that to do the lowered-stop-tail thing you have to top-wrap (put your strings backwards and over the stop tailpiece)

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

What about graph tech saddles on a Tele??? Interested in one on TGP and they replaced the six brass saddles with graphtech's... I'm a little concerned as I LOVE the G&L saddles on their Tele's. Thoughts?

17. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I've got Graphtechs on a Les Paul and an Am Std Strat.

Honestly I never A/B'ed them to the point that I'd have a data-based answer to did the tone change and how. All I can say is that I love the tone on both.

Strings typically unravel or snap at the ball before the break.

18. CincinnatiSi

CincinnatiSi Member

In four years since I put the graph-tecs on a pair of guitars, I've only broken one string. The one I broke was because I was stretching the high E right after installing it.

19. kangcore

kangcore Member

Yet another vote of confidence for Graphtech saddles. I've got em on almost every guitar I own (less my hummingbird and tele - which has brass saddles). I don't perceive any significant tone loss, tho the guitar does sound different when you play it unplugged. Plugged in tho, its pretty much the same. I used to break strings all the time - my record was 4 strings in 4 hours - but i'm barely breaking strings now. maybe every once in a while, and i'm a pretty rough player if i say so myself.

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

IME they solve one problem (breakage) and create another (dullness)...

just an idea...why not just replace the bridge...is it a Nashville or ABR1 style bridge?

I have a Nashville style bridge on my 87' 335 and installed a Faber ABR1 bridge with the brass saddles...it's an ABR1 style bridge which retrofits onto a Nashville bridge with no mods needed...the bridges have different post spacing...

since switching I have no more string breakage problems...

http://www.cvguitars.com/parts/FaberRPL-110107.html

Chow,
    Seegs