1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Graphic EQ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Luca1979, May 19, 2011.

1. Luca1979

Luca1979 Member

The story is, Mesa Boogie Mark amps were offered with or without a 5-band graphic EQ at the time (it was an option).

I once had an EQ-loaded one once and I remember the EQ was crucial to get the tones I wanted.

Now I have the chance to buy another one, it's great but it doesn't have the onboard EQ.

My question is: will putting a good EQ pedal in the fx loop have the same identical effect and quality in shaping the sound as having the on-board EQ ?

Please tell me what do you think, thanks!

2. torquil

torquil Member

The crucial aspect is to have an EQ located downstream in the signal chain from where preamp distortion arises. So I'd say yes, it will have a very similar effect.

Not identical of course, since the circuit will be slightly altered and it will be a different EQ. You can use any EQ, not necessarily a five-band one. You can even use a parametric EQ (which I prefer).

EDIT: That said, I wouldn't buy an amp that necessitated any additional external equipment to get a good sound, myself. But YMMV.

3. wizard333

wizard333 Member

*cough* Dumbleator *cough*

4. frank4001

frank4001 Member

One one gig I play a Dano, a strat and an old Goya with a D'Armond in the sound hole. Depending on the amp I can adjust the Goya to sound the way I need it. It can also be a nice clean boost. Usefull in both high and low volume situations. If you're playing some places for the first time it might be good to have one with you.

I don't always use it but an EQ pedal but it has come in handy over the years...

5. Luca1979

Luca1979 Member

Thanks for the replies, any other comments appreciated!

6. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

I would suggest getting an Empress or other good parametric EQ instead of a graphic. Graphics tend to be noisy, except for expensive inductor based studio EQs that are in the graphic format but are otherwise different animals.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I would buy that TC EQ rack in the Emporium. Not mine, but it is studio quality and can store different presets.