Graphical interface for HX Edit

eoengineer

I’d rather them focus on more valuable stuff like new models and functionality.

The UI is good. If they do new stuff in hx edit, I’d vote for an offline mode long before a refreshed ui that doesn’t actually do anything.

D
I agree. I am in the camp that would enjoy a more polished UI, but IMO L6 is spending their resources in a way that is producing a tremendous amount of bang for the buck for us users.

Gearzilla

Silver Supporting Member
guitar-amplifier-tubes-scaled.jpg

The one virtual interface graphic guaranteed to improve the sight sound satisfaction response.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I'd prefer something like Ctrl/Cmd-Scroll or Shift-Scroll to edit the parameter. The regular Scroll would scroll the parameter window up and down. I, too, have often inadvertently changed a parameter value by not placing the mouse in the right place when I just wanted to scroll down the list of parameters or even by just accidentally brushing my finger over the Apple mouse.

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
I really dislike turning virtual knobs with a mouse cursor or even a scroll wheel, so I’m glad they haven’t gone that route. As it is now, the main edit screen (the signal flow screen) on HX Edit mirrors pretty much exactly the home screen on the device itself, so I guess in a sense an editor doesn’t get more 1:1 than that.

I do kind of like the idea of color-coding the sliders themselves so that there would be some sort of hierarchy in a way. I also think things could be done where perhaps hint message pop up when you hover over certain things.

TonyCass

Silver Supporting Member
I like the way the real world gear looks on the screen. Then when I have to make an adjustment with my finger or a mouse I REALLY appreciate the Helix Native / HX edit approach.

I think Overloud realized this with THU. I own both the Desktop and IOS versions. I love that they went with sliders on the IOS version. It is so much easier to use than the Desktop version which relies on the visual representation of the gear and knobs. IF Helix Native ever makes its way to IOS I will love the interface even more.

the swede

I like the way the real world gear looks on the screen. Then when I have to make an adjustment with my finger or a mouse I REALLY appreciate the Helix Native / HX edit approach.

I think Overloud realized this with THU. I own both the Desktop and IOS versions. I love that they went with sliders on the IOS version. It is so much easier to use than the Desktop version which relies on the visual representation of the gear and knobs. IF Helix Native ever makes its way to IOS I will love the interface even more.
Well the firehawk thing was kinda cool and I remember being impressed with it though I didn’t own one. But there was similarities to Helix there I believe.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
Its 2021 for F sake. Buy a midi controller with some knobs. Who the hell uses a scroll wheel anymore? :p

The vast majority of people... I actually use a Magic Mouse with my Mac, so technically, I don’t really use a scroll wheel, I suppose.

I imagine that most DAW users don’t use any sort of external controllers other than a keyboard and a mouse, though.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member

The Overload desktop UI is so bad, I gave up on it after trying it once... I couldn’t stand zooming in and out on the different elements of the signal chain, trying to get various things in focus. It was like navigating in a PDF - bleh!

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
I like the interface the way it is.
I don't like sliders very much only for some of the eqs but a flat interface is a really good idea for a modeller in my opinion.

I would like to see more shortcuts...I'm a shortcut ninja and I like to avoid mouse as much as possible.

the only thing I would add is a colour coding scheme (any other graphical solution) for grouping parameters in a logical/functional way

for example in amp models a I'd like to see a colour for preamp parameters, a colour for power amp ones, a colour for sag, bias, hum & c.

in effects blocks a colour for the "real" effects parameters and a different one for volume and mix.

Last edited:

Release

I completely understand why Line 6 uses sliders. And it makes complete sense why they use it.

But.... as a graphic designer and a visual person, I really like seeing the amp that I'm editing. I just feel more connected. More creative. Opening up a Neural plug-in inspires me to play because it looks like what I've been using since I was 17. It's familiar.

Helix Native and HX Edit almost feels like I'm using a boring Office application. Yea, I can edit wayyyy more things than I can with most of the other modelers.... but.... I also spend a lot more time tweaking than I do with the others. It's option paralysis. Which is absolutely incredible, but sometimes I'd just like to play.

That being said, I don't think I'd ever want them to change it. I think it would be just as overwhelming if they added killer graphics and then had to add different tabs or screens for sag, hum, bias etc.

phil_m

Gold Supporting Member
But.... as a graphic designer and a visual person, I really like seeing the amp that I'm editing. I just feel more connected. More creative. Opening up a Neural plug-in inspires me to play because it looks like what I've been using since I was 17. It's familiar.

I don’t know, I think the Helix interface is a little nicer than the interface I had when I was 17 (actually a little older than that when I started playing)...
89285562981511Na51.JPG

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
<Snip>
One thing I had to adapt to was the lack of visual differentiation between parameters. I'm a very visual person, and tend to mentally categorize things by appearance (e.g., a group of knobs for main controls, and maybe sliders for more detailed adjustments). Since every slider looks the same, there's no visual differentiation or grouping between settings that would be grouped together on the real hardware. It also isn't often clear which sliders affect only certain other sliders, when it might be shown on a real piece of hardware with a different color below or shape drawn around those controls which visually groups them together. (e.g. think of the front panels of Fender amps, where different channels are separated by thin outlines, or many pedals where a graphic/outline/color below the knobs shows which ones interact together).

This lack of visual differentiation / grouping trips up new users a lot, still. A good example is the Channel Volume vs. Drive vs. Master Volume sliders for amps. Since there's no visual grouping to associate those items with others, and Channel Volume appears in between Drive and Master Volume on the hardware UI, people have no idea that Channel Volume is just "Level." Also, a number of effects have certain controls that only interact with others, or in certain mode settings, which have no visual indication of this at all, so if you're not familiar with the real hardware, you end up moving a bunch of sliders in various permutations and trying to hear if it makes an audible difference. A thin line connecting or grouping associated parameters would help here, or even just varying the spacing so sliders have clear groupings.

That said, after forcing myself to adapt and use it a lot, I appreciate and prefer it for many of the reasons @Digital Igloo listed above. It's efficient and works well, but I think a few tweaks could help improve intuitive usability.
Very well said!!

As others have already suggested some implementation of an enhanced visual distinction perhaps using color coding, fader handle shape, sizing, proximity grouping, or thin line rectangular perimeter enclosure of similar parameters would be very helpful without overly complicating the coding tasks.

There is no "all things being equal" equivalent in this sort of software scenario. Nonetheless, when it comes to real world gear, very few would opt to use a black box with solely with parallel parameter faders when a distinctive and unique stylized alternative of the same component were available. Then again, the first time I sat down at a 48 Track Console, it was awesomely generic!

Last edited:

Top Bottom