Graphite lubricant product for LSR Roller Nut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by echo unit, Mar 1, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I have the LSR Roller nut on a Strat Plus from '93.

Is there a product specifically for guitar or from the hardware store, Graphite or otherwise that is ideal for lubricating this device and getting it to work in smoothest and best way possible?

Thanks for any advice, links or things to check out!

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I'm always apprefensive about using any kind of "grease" for applications like this.Grease attracts all kinds of dust and grit and may cause more problems.
    I would use some of the powdered graphite like they use in locks.

3. echo unit

echo unit Member

Is there a powder Graphite product that any company makes that is specifically for guitar applications with nuts and other moving parts?

If not where is the best place to purchase some kind of Graphite powder lubricant like the stuff mentioned above for locks?

Thanks

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Powdered graphite is powdered graphite.Any place where they make keys should have it.Locksmith,hardware store,Home Depot,Lowes,ect.

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

Echounit, Please dont take offense to my post because I offer it in the spirit of better tone. The best thing I ever did was have the roller nut removed from my 1990 Ultra Strat and replaced with a bone nut. The tone is light years better, no more string rattling the rollers and tuning is just as stable.

6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I posted this question on another forum and got a reply from Bill Turner, who designed the LSR for Fender. He is quite clear that you shouldn't use any lube with it. It is designed to work well on its own for a long time & itdoes not want any added stuff to gum up the works.

7. bigboy

bigboy Member

Remove the LSR and soak it overnight in lighter fluid. Carefully blow it out, wipe it off and reinstall.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

or naphtha, same thing. the idea is to de-gunk it, then have it be totally clean and dry on the guitar (naphtha evaporates away entirely).

like the man who designed it said, don't put anything on it.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

You can buy powder graphite lube for locks at the hardware store in a little tube. IMO you don't need anything for an LSR nut though. Anything oily will accumulate debris.