Graphite picks....what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DannyTolchiner, Feb 7, 2012.

1. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

Does anyone use them or know anything about them? Jerry Garcia AND Trey Anastasio both use/used them....Dunlop discontinued them a while back but has since "reissued" them and now sells them for $16 PLUS shipping just for a 12 pack...is there a huge tonal difference?

2. DannyTolchiner

DannyTolchiner Member

3. LarryN

LarryN Member

They have a strong energizing attack in my experience. I found them to give a little extra authority. Nothing else seems quite like them to me. They are much stiffer than anything in the synthetic materials realm. To me, they really stand out. I used to buy Adamas brand. I don't know if they still sell them.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have all kinds of picks including graphite and aluminum etc. But nothing sounds as good to my ears as Tortex.

5. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I have several. Seems to me that they will last like next to forever.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

celluloid all the way here. Best tone to me.

7. helio

helio Member

I've become a big fan and user of Dunlop's Adamas graphite picks. Being a big fan of Jerry and especially Trey, I was first drawn to try a thick, 2.0mm pick (as they use/used). Wasn't able to get Adamas at the time, so I went with Dunlop's 2.0mm Gator Grips.

After I got used to the switch from Fender mediums to the thicker pick, I was hooked. Tons of control over a huge range of pick attack levels.

Got on Dunlop's email list, and got word in Fall that they were putting out a new batch of Adamas graphites. Had to try them.

Love them. Similar to the Gator Grips, but a bit brighter and, as someone said well above, more authoritative in their tone. Gator grips sound dark and a bit muffled in comparison. The Adamas's "brightness," though, isn't thin or harsh. Just seem to bring more presence to the sound. Trey and Jerry were on to something!

8. Antelope

Antelope Member

Great picks. Expensive, but they show no appreciable wear even after hundreds of hours of playing. So, if you can avoid losing them, you don't need to buy all that many.

9. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Love mine, bought two packs. Very stiff, really easy to control picking dynamics. I used the gator grips for awhile and they got pretty close. These Adamas picks I own never wear down, so I only take out one at a time from the stash spot and its still working great since december. I use the 2mm ones.

If you're gonna buy a few packs, I'd suggest the "post" setting on the Dunlop site. Takes a little longer but it was only like $10 or so for me for 2 packs.

10. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

In going to play devils advocate here- I love the brightness and attack of the Adamas picks I ordered from Dunlop in December, but they DO wear out just as fast as a regular 2mm gator grip. I've used the same pick since I purchased a few dozen, but that one is already close to retirement.

I've had slightly better luck with the Telefunken picks from eBay, but again not even coming close to claims that suggest "graphite picks last forever if you don't lose them."