• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Graphite Saddles: pros and cons

benjammin420

Im on the market for a replacement set of saddles for my strat. Ive read alot of different opinions, but there was no thread for this topic specifically. Im not particularly interested in maintaining vintage specs, but ive got no real compaints about the sustain/tone (they are worn though, hence why im replacing them) of the current stock saddles.

Eagle1

Surprisingly bright I like them .
Cons? they sound like themselves if you get my meaning and they don't look that great on a chrome bridge.

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
My personal feeling is that there is absolutely no reason to change to a graphite saddle. If string breakage is an issue it only means that the string groove needs to be properly filed and polished. If you are set on switching saddles I heartily recommend switching to bent steel saddles (i.e. Callaham) and add a little vintage character to your axe. YMMV

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
so, is that a 'con' for the graphite question?
Nope. I use the graphtech compensated saddles on my MIM 50's tele. I like em. But the solid steel saddles are modern, not traditional, and you said you wanted to know what else was out there.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Graph Tech makes the Feraglides, with a metal saddle body and a piece of graphite right where the string rests. They work like a graphite saddle but look more traditional.

Eagle1

Saddle types
1.pressed steel ,Fender 11.3mm Gotoh 10.8mm
2.cast steel, Gotoh
3.milled steel ,Hipshot
4. brass, Gotoh
5.graphite, Graphtech
6.tusq, Graphtech
7.zinc (mazac) CBS Fender
8.composite steel graphite ,Graphtech Ferraglide.

joemesser

I had some Graphtech saddles made for an Alembic guitar once. They replaced brass saddles. I would say they darkened the tone a bit. I liked them for a while but then switched back to brass.

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Saddle types
1.pressed steel ,Fender 11.3mm Gotoh 10.8mm
2.cast steel, Gotoh
3.milled steel ,Hipshot
4. brass, Gotoh
5.graphite, Graphtech
6.tusq, Graphtech
7.zinc (mazac) CBS Fender
8.composite steel graphite ,Graphtech Ferraglide.

Don't forget titanium and cryogenically treated stamped steel. :horse

Trending Topics