Graphtec Saddles

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DavidG, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DavidG

DavidG Member

Dose anyone here use them on their guitars? Love 'em hate em? I've used them on the last three or four guitars I've owned mainly because of string breaking. Just wondering?

2. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

If you mean the String Savers type yes. I have had them on both my Strat and my ES335 for years now. In fact so long I have forgotten what standard saddles sound like to compare. I originally put them on as they were the latest thing at the time and I also liked the idea of self lubing saddles. I have never broken a string in memory although this might also have something to do with the fact I use 11's as well. At that time I also bought a String saver nut but prefer Tusq or Bone as nut material, not for sound just that I like the way Tusq and Bone colour as they age.

3. DavidG

DavidG Member

String Savers, yes that's what I'm talking about. Just wondering if my tone is suffering from using these. I know I never break strings like I used too, so that's a big plus. Thanks

4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have them on my 5 hamers. i like them. the tone is good and i have never broken a string.

5. TBIRD Phil

TBIRD Phil Member

I put them on my '57 Vintage American Strat a few years ago and have never broken a string. I have 3 Strats, and only have the Graphtecs on this guitar. It is the best sounding and seems to have the most sustain out of the bunch. I don't know if the saddles have much to do with it or its the guitar itself.

6. DavidG

DavidG Member

Yeah, good points..lol. I saw a cover on Guitar Player a few yrs ago with KWS what looked to be a vintage strat with the "string saver saddles" on it. I was already using them before that.

7. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

If your using graphite saddles, is it best to use a graphite nut too? is there a combined effect?

8. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

As I said in my post above I changed out my nut for Tusq and never noticed any tonal difference. Having said that though I would recommend a String Saver nut as well as saddles if you use your whammy bar a lot, especially for big up and down pitch changes.

9. xcycle

xcycle Member

Changed out my stock G&L saddles when they got deeply grooved and couldn't tell the difference.

Eric