Grateful Dead/Nugs.net

I didn't see a direct answer to this here, but was wondering if anyone knew why or when nuts.net removed the download option for the GD shows in the free stash. I assume the Dead asked them, but I was surprised after they’d been up for so long.

Is there a special release planned for these shows? I already downloaded a few of them years ago and I own a handful of Dick’s Picks releases, but I always turn people to nugs.net/archive.org when they ask about the Grateful Dead.

Anyone have some insight into this?

Thanks, but that link only offers streaming, not downloading, unless I am missing something obvious. I was wondering if anyone knew why the option to actually download the shows is no longer available.

zestystrat

I vaguely remember reading that some of the members of the Dead did not want to give them away anymore.

There was def a divide on this b/c I remember in an interview Phil calling one (or more) band-mates out on this topic.

Maybe it was on Jambase, jamband or Relix. I can't remember where.

TeleBlack

All SBD sources are streaming only on Archive.org per Weir and Hart's request/insistence. You can still download the AUD sources though. (well, last year I could)

zestystrat

All SBD sources are streaming only on Archive.org per Weir and Hart's request/insistence. You can still download the AUD sources though. (well, last year I could)
I knew someone would know the details. I'm sure that was who Phil was calling out.

That is a bummer. Especially since its hard to locate copes of the now out of print Dick's Picks series. Glad I got mine when I did.

If i'm not mistaken they are on spotify. but that too is mostly a streaming service unless you pay a monthly fee.
Yeah I was hoping to add some to my device for mobile listening that doesn't require satellite service. I've got a bunch of shows already on CD and downloaded, but there were a couple I wanted to have over the weekend in the car and realized I could no longer download them. I contacted a guy who supposedly has a server or something full of soundboard shows from the Dead so I might just need to contact him again.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Not quite. From what I recall, it was Phil who wanted to clamp down on the sbd source dl'ing. Which led to the public remark made by Mickey Hart, "Phil must've gotten the liver of a jerk."

Antelope

Not quite. From what I recall, it was Phil who wanted to clamp down on the sbd source dl'ing. Which led to the public remark made by Mickey Hart, "Phil must've gotten the liver of a jerk."
I don't thinks that's right. From the day after "the music died":

“I was not part of this decision making process and was not notified that the shows were to be pulled. I do feel that the music is the Grateful Dead’s legacy and I hope that one way or another all of it is available for those who want it…We do love and care about our community as you helped us make the music.” He went on to offer some hope by saying “Your concerns have been heard and I am sure are being respectfully addressed.”

--Phil Lesh

(FWIW, and it's not much, I always heard it was Jerry's widow, Bobby and Mickey who called the shot).

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the clarification. My recollections can sometimes not be the most accurate.

Now I'm wondering what issue it was where Mickey said that about Phil. Eh, don't have time to Google that now.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Jeez, the folks here are lazy. :p

After Garcia’s death in ’95, the formation of the -The Other Ones-, featuring most of the Dead’s surviving members, most importantly Weir, Lesh and Hart, reassured deadheads that the ties, did indeed still bind. Just like Buddy Holly’s anthematic refrain, "A love for real will not fade away," which the Dead and their fans sang so enthusiastically to each other in concert time and time again for over 25 years, making music together was the indestructible force keeping the Dead’s community alive.

That warm and fuzzy image took a major whack last year when Lesh backed out of -The Other Ones- followup tour, opting instead to front his own project, -Phil and Friends-. Reasons for the split were murky. And rumors flew. Some held that personality conflicts or differing opinions on musical direction were to blame. Others focused squarely on business. The most insidious scuttlebutt: whispers of the Dead’s legendary ‘vault,’ a near complete collection of high quality recordings from 2,000 of their concerts, being sold to Microsoft.

Deadheads cringed. Although the truth behind the acrimony remained a mystery, the separate tours were plain for everyone to see. True to form, most deadheads supported both rather than choose sides. Even though there wasn’t the same old -good lovin’- between the two camps, at least there was peace.

And then came the bombshell. Talking about an upcoming announcement for plans to indeed make the vault more accessible in a recently published interview, Hart publicly ripped Lesh a new bass hole. "Nobody's at war with Phil," Hart is quoted as saying. "He's just out of the loop. He just hasn't paid attention for years. He's just in the Phil zone, God save him. Nobody pays much attention to him. He's sort of on the outside. He's of no consequence really." Ouch.

"The Grateful Dead has always worked as a democracy," Hart continued. "Phil's the odd man out. So he took his marbles and split, like a little boy would. That's his prerogative; God bless him, I wish him well. But believe me, we don't miss him. We're having a great time without him. It couldn't be better." Then it got nasty. "If someone doesn't want to play with you, you don't play with them. We have no fight with him; he's sort of at odds with himself. I think that liver transplant didn't go so well. He might have gotten the liver of a jerk."

Reaction was from deadheads was swift. People were more up in arms over the Phil bashing than head over heels about opening up the vault. Hart had crossed the line. And although he has created the most interesting new music among his former mates since the Dead’s demise, Hart’s assessment of Lesh’s position in the community was flat out wrong. Ask any deadhead and they’ll tell you - when Garcia died, Lesh became the family patriarch. And although not nearly as universally revered as Garcia, Hart’s attack on Lesh, who recently underwent a successful liver transplant, was sacrilege nonetheless. Not to mention a cheap shot.

It didn’t take long for Hart to issue an apology. "I said some things in an interview a few days ago that I really regret," he began. "There is definitely a difference of opinion between Phil and the rest of us."

"We lived together and laughed together for many years," the Hart felt apology continues. "But the business stuff has overtaken our reason and made things very gray. The music between us has stopped and that is not good. The music has always mediated our differences, which were never insurmountable. In my frustration with that, I succumbed to negativity, and in mock jest created this atmosphere of Phil-bashing. We should never attack each other." Suggesting that his remarks were "a tongue in cheek-ha-ha kind of thing," Hart then took the high road. "It especially bums me that it came across as having anything at all to do with the young man, God bless him, who was thoughtful enough to anticipate his death and make the greatest gift anyone can make -- life. My apologies to his family and his memory. And, for that matter, to Phil and our greater Dead family. I've always known that the negative is no way to go -- I forgot myself and my tongue took me over the line. It is not over yet. The music will see us through. I have to believe that."

And if the past is any indication, deadheads will believe it too.
http://www.mrlee.com/featurearticles/love spat.html

kwaves99

There are still plenty of sources where you can download soundboards. bt.etree.org is one site as well as workingmans tracker and lossless legs.

TeleBlack

This whole saga made me dislike Bobby a bit. I mean, I love Bobby, but he's kind of an ass.

His recent issues on stage and failure to make it to the stage after shots make me like him just a little bit more less.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Bobby was never a favorite of mine, in a very favorite band. That said, his talent has really shown in recent years and we don't have a lot left of that experience to enjoy.

Trending Topics