Grateful Dead | One From The Vault (8/13/1975)

BobbyS

Ok, anybody know what gear Jerry was using for this one? It sounds like a strat into a mostly clean amp (which one?), but there are other things going on (fuzz/distortion, phaser/flanger?, etc...). Whenever I go back to checking out the GD, I almost always go back to this recording and any help would be appreciated. I'd love to know what the rig was for this period. Thanks!
(First part of the show posted below...)

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Good question: this was the last appearance of the Doug Irwin "Wolf" until the Fall of '77 (he switches to a Travis Bean TB1000A later this same month, and again to a TB500 for the Spring '77 tour), at which point the pickups/electronics had been replaced. At this point, it's still loaded with Strat pickups and an onboard "Stratoblaster" preamp. Amp is a Mesa/Boogie MkI, lined out to a Macintosh MC2300 power amp and 3 2x12's loaded with JBLs. He's got a wah and a couple of MXR pedals - D+ and Phase 100, I think - for effects.

Photo evidence of the guitar here:

Last edited:

BobbyS

Good question: this was the last appearance of the Doug Irwin "Wolf" until the Fall of '77 (he switches to a Travis Bean TB1000A later this same month, and again to a TB500 for the Spring '77 tour), at which point the pickups/electronics had been replaced. At this point, it's still loaded with Strat pickups and an onboard "Stratoblaster" preamp. Amp is a Mesa/Boogie MkI, lined out to a Macintosh MC2300 power amp and 3 2x12's loaded with JBLs. He's got a wah and a couple of MXR pedals - D+ and Phase 100, I think - for effects.

Photo evidence of the guitar here:

Big thanks! These are, by far, my favorite Jerry tones!

(Sorry for the delayed response, I've been away for a few days!)

ezyrydr

This was the first Grateful Dead album I ever really listened to. I picked up the CD at my local library in 1994ish. I only knew Touch of Grey, Truckin and Casey Jones before that.

That intro hooked me, I've been a fan ever since. I was probably one of the most influential albums for me for a long time and my band at the time learned Help > Slip > Frank and played it often. Although the Slipknot transition was mostly a mess as we could never figure it out.

Reactions: PdL

Trending Topics

Top Bottom