Grateful Dead with Princeton Reverb and PT Nano?

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
What four or five pedals would you squeeze on a PT Nano to milk the best ballpark "sound" of the Dead out of a Princeton Reverb?

Assuming a snap on tuner to save space.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I don't even think you need four or five. An overdrive pedal (I think that Garcia used Boss), an envelope filter (Garcia used Mutron III), and a delay pedal should do it for the basics IMO. I like it best when Garcia used no effects except the reverb on his amp.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
The most affected lead tone that I like of Jerry's is Franklin's Tower otherwise I prefer his tones like on Tennessee Jed (Eur 72).

What filter pedals will do a Mutron III close enough?

Analog or digital delay?

What OD flavor? Not familiar with a lot of OD use by Jerry or Bobby.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
3 Leaf Proton, is very good for a small package Mutron sound. Bigger you can't go wrong with the Tru-Tron, it's literally what the man was using but updated to modern specs.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Also, other than later day Space jams, I associate very little delay with the sound of the Grateful Dead. I see that page says he was using an MXR Analog Delay in the 70's, but where? Off the top of my head I can't think of an example. Natural amp reverb, yes, set low, that's a consistent sound through all of his playing to my ears at least.

It's funny your range of tone is from 72 Tenn Jed to Franklin's Tower, it's really super clean to super clean through a leslie, so you are kind of answering your own question - you don't need much. A lot of his tone came from the pre-amp he used, the JBL speakers, his fingers, etc.

The OD-3, (and believe it or not, he used an HM-2), were 80's-90's sound. The MXR Dist+, is a good choice for 70's. Somewhere on this forum:

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=419

Brad Sarno says he made up a custom Dist+ for Trey to use on the up coming final run of Dead shows.

The new Beigel Octave Divider is pure Garcia tone, but too big for a pt-nano, so maybe a boss OC-2/OC-3, but you don't get that touch of Green Ringer, which is what I associate with Jerry when he used an octave effect, at least in the 70's (Fire on the Mountain live solos specifically).

Also, for 70's tone, you will be best served by a strat.

Proton as I mentioned above, and some kind of boost pedal will help goose the Proton as well, and maybe make up for the fact you are using a Princeton and not a (4) Twin(s). Although headroom might be an issue, I am guessing.

The rukind.com - Jerry Tone forum is a good resource, for all sounds Garcia. Those guys really get into the minutia of how to cop his tone.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Also, other than later day Space jams, I associate very little delay with the sound of the Grateful Dead. I see that page says he was using an MXR Analog Delay in the 70's, but where? Off the top of my head I can't think of an example. Natural amp reverb, yes, set low, that's a consistent sound through all of his playing to my ears at least.

It's funny your range of tone is from 72 Tenn Jed to Franklin's Tower, it's really super clean to super clean through a leslie, so you are kind of answering your own question - you don't need much. A lot of his tone came from the pre-amp he used, the JBL speakers, his fingers, etc.

The OD-3, (and believe it or not, he used an HM-2), were 80's-90's sound. The MXR Dist+, is a good choice for 70's. Somewhere on this forum:

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=419

Brad Sarno says he made up a custom Dist+ for Trey to use on the up coming final run of Dead shows.

The new Beigel Octave Divider is pure Garcia tone, but too big for a pt-nano, so maybe a boss OC-2/OC-3, but you don't get that touch of Green Ringer, which is what I associate with Jerry when he used an octave effect, at least in the 70's (Fire on the Mountain live solos specifically).

Also, for 70's tone, you will be best served by a strat.

Proton as I mentioned above, and some kind of boost pedal will help goose the Proton as well, and maybe make up for the fact you are using a Princeton and not a (4) Twin(s). Although headroom might be an issue, I am guessing.

The rukind.com - Jerry Tone forum is a good resource, for all sounds Garcia. Those guys really get into the minutia of how to cop his tone.
Actually have a Vintage Sound VS20 so I have a little more headroom. Stays pretty clean way up the dial. Don't play anywhere I need to be that loud anyhow.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Really? Uh, where do I sign up?!
This was Sarno's quote:

"Last week I had a surprising email show up from a guitarist named Trey Anastasio regarding his gear. As he is preparing for these 3 Fare Thee Well Dead shows, he is also adding and altering some things to his guitar rig to help him get some proper sounds for that context and for certain songs. We arranged a few things for him; got him a pair of speakers to test drive, sourced for him an original/early MXR Phase 100 pedal (Candyman, Crazy Fingers, etc.), sending him a certain reverb unit to try out (can't comment on that), he ordered one of our SMS Black Boxes, and he contracted me to custom build a special version of the classic Distortion+ pedal Jerry used for so long, '76 thru '89. I happen to have a secret stash of some rare components only found in the very early versions of that old distortion pedal just like Jerry's. So while we may have slapped our initials on the box, it really is a tribute to the old classic with just a few of my personal twists."

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Putting a JBL in that Princeton will get you a lot closer and won't cost any pedalboard space at all. Jerry played basically clean and LOUD. Classic Jerry tone is a Fender preamp into a McIntosh MC2300 power amp (600 watts of solid-state power!) into JBL speakers. Princetons like to grind, which can be cool but will top out before hitting Jerry-level intensity.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Putting a JBL in that Princeton will get you a lot closer and won't cost any pedalboard space at all. Jerry played basically clean and LOUD. Classic Jerry tone is a Fender preamp into a McIntosh MC2300 power amp (600 watts of solid-state power!) into JBL speakers. Princetons like to grind, which can be cool but will top out before hitting Jerry-level intensity.
Yeah, I knew about the Twin pres and JBL speakers.

I'm not worried about getting that close. Just meant more in terms of basic fx pedals.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
The 3 Leaf Wonderlove is the best envelope filter for the size and money out there. I had a Tru Tron on my big board, but it is still pretty massive with a special power supply, etc. The Wonderlove has all the adjustments and nails the Mutron tone. I sold my Tru Tron after I got it. The Proton is good also, but it is harder to trigger with lower output pickups and doesn't have as many adjustments as its big brother.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Saw this over on the Jerry Tone, rukind forum, and thought I'd post it to update. It's Brad Sarno, commenting on what Trey finally ended up with in his rig - looks like the Dist+ didn't make it, but the Tru-Tron did:

"Trey used his Mesa on half power into a 4-12" cab loaded with the Tone Tubby Purple Haze speakers that I hooked him up with. He had a vintage Phase 100, an older Boss Octaver, his 2 tubescreamers (one mild, one heavy), some reverb and delay, and I think that's it. All thru the CAE switcher. NO buffer in the guitar, just the input buffer on the CAE switcher. [edited - and a Tru-Tron]"

By the way, if anyone has any info on Bob's board, I'd be interested to hear. I listened to all of the shows, and caught glimpses of the video after the fact on youtube. I could see Bob had a Whammy on his board, but that was it. I also saw a video where it looked like someone had a Hughes and Kettner pedal of some sort, between Phil and Trey, maybe it was Phil's?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
The H&K was Trey's... looked just like my roto, but I think they may use that case for multiple effects. And I never heard a roto in any of the five shows. His effects were on the amp rack but switched on the floor. Look through the recent Fare Thee Well threads, there is pic of Bob's board.

Trending Topics