Great albums with bad sound

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kmaz, May 30, 2015.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Oasis (What's the Story) Morning Glory comes to mind. The guitars often seem too loud and this annoying treble hiss throughout. It has some great songs but I really wonder what they were thinking?

2. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

The classic example to me of a lousy mix is Exile on Main Street....when it came out, the general consensus was that it sounded like mud.

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Buffalo Springfield Again

4. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Surely the main thing Oasis were thinking about was cocaine? (The next couple of albums are worse: everything on 11 except the compressor - that was on 12.) My vote goes to The Heartbreakers' LAMF (Like a Muffled Fistfight?).

5. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Member

Signals by Rush, love the album but the production is terrible.

6. Slideman

Slideman Member

Derek and the Dominos "Layla" album....horrible recording, ice pick Strat tone, great songs from beginning to end.

7. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

...And Justice For All is an obvious pick.

8. cugel

cugel Member

yep whats the story morning glory. its because they were coked up. noel has made this pretty clear

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Iggy and the Stooges Raw Power for the win in this category.

L.A.M.F. has been rereleased in at least a couple supposedly better sounding versions. Possibly the cassete version had a better mix? Complicated history there...

shane88, ModdersAnon and deeohgee like this.
  10. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Definitely.

All original Misfits.

Most Credence Clear Water Revival

11. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

Police - Synchronicity. Seemed to have white noise and a sort of rattly jangle throughout.

Great thread, BTW.

12. 8raw

8raw Member

Yep, that's the one.

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    The Zombies after Midnight album by the Konwiebf Twins was fantastic but sounded like it what recorded inside an electric clothes drier. :waiting

The Beatles White album ..... crap, just a few years later it could have been freaking fantastic!

14. OllieDox

OllieDox Member

Agreed. It's also a little sharp so you can't play along with it. Those first few Oasis albums all sound lousy - IIRC the producer Owen Morris takes credit for the 'brick walling' fad. He claimed they would sound louder than other peoples' songs when they were played on a jukebox. Now they just sound like mud. Be Here Now sounds slightly better than the first two, but it still isn't great. Surprisingly alot of the bsides of the era (most on Masterplan) sound much better for some reason. I would have thought that with the money behind those second and third albums, plus Noel's obsessive control, would have corrected those problems. I haven't checked out the reissues. The fourth album - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants - might be the best sounding one in their catalog but they only used that producer for that one album.

Both them and Metallica have some of the worst sounding albums for being such popular bands.

15. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Long After Dark

'One Story Town' should be among the TP classics with its frantic opening but the muffled sound is maddening.

I have taken to 'remastering' certain songs/albums in my DAW just to give them a bit of punch/clarity.

aliensporebomb likes this.
  16. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

For some reason, Judas Priest's Sin After Sin always kind of stood out to me as having poor production quality. A bit too dry and one dimensional. Always made me think what they were doing on that record was too advanced for the production methods used for it. But since Roger Glover produced it, I doubt that was the case. I've read the band was going through some turmoil at the time and didn't exactly gel well with Glover. I think it showed.

JDW3 and MONSTER ZERO like this.
  17. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

Kiss "Hotter Than Hell".... love those songs but man it's got probably the worst drum sound ever recorded to tape.

skhan007 likes this.
  18. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

Be Here Now is the worst of the lot! it's horrendously compressed.... I have to turn it off after 3 or 4 songs.

I can listen to the first album, it's brick walled but it suits the songs as they're all flat out rockers (bar the last song). it's trying to listen to songs like "Magic pie" with acoustic guitar & Rhodes keyboard that just take your head off with how loud they are... the remasters aren't any better

19. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

This. How I wish they could have re-recorded this entire album or have found some way to salvage the original tapes to make it more listenable. The record before in the record after sounded fine, but this one?

20. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Although I loved it at the time for the playing...in hindsight the excessive reverb and poor panning on VanHalen I was pretty bad. Listen to "Runnin' with the Devil" today and, ugh! I would agree with Priest's sin after sin...great songs, poor sound. Those songs, with "Hell bent for leather" or "British Steel" mix would have crushed.

Some of the 70's Thin Lizzy never captured the awesomeness of the live band, like it did on "live and Dangerous". Great albums, poor mix.