Great Alexander Dumble story direct from Robben Ford

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mojazzmo, May 16, 2011.

1. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Hey All,
    It has been a tough few weeks since I attended the Robben Ford clinic in Seattle. A few days after the clinic I had to put one of my cats down. He was one of my best friends of over 14yrs. I haven't felt like posting a review of the clinic yet but thought I would share a quick story on two of TGP's hot topics....Dumble amps and Robben Ford.

Robben told a great story at the clinic about how he was working in LA and didn't have a good goto amp.He kept renting a Dumble from Andy Brauer(sp??) in LA when he needed one. He said he really loved the amp and thru that connection he met Alexander Dumble and got him to build him an amp. He got the amp, loved it and the rest is history. What Alex didn't tell Robben when he ordered the amp or even when he delivered it was that the overdrive special was based on Robben's sound when he used to play with his old bassman. Robben used to play (with Witherspoon I believe) at some bar out in the country near where AD lived. Alex used to go hear Robben play(unbeknown to Robben) and that's where he got the tonal idea for the overdrive special. Robben said he finally told him the full story about ten years after he bought his amp. So there you have it, straight from Robben. let the discusion begin.

AustinIsPresent and Grubgoat like this.
  2. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Does Robben have some bassmans to unload?

4. Cream

Cream Member

No crystal lattice in Bassmans.

5. Redmaz

Redmaz Supporting Member

I have a "pre Dumble" Bassman I'd be willing to let go for $25,000.

:D

NicDo, Big L and Grubgoat like this.
  6. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

Dumble amp, tone comes full circle. Heartwarming.

7. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Robben played a ton of gigs in the SF Bay Area early on particulary in the South Bay. (Hey RF remember Gemco?) ;)
    The Cellar gigs at De Anza college are seminal Robben Ford. The woody horn tone was present via the big jazz box guitars and the piggyback Bassman rig
    Without a doubt Dumble started voicing the amps from this era. Fact.
    Lot of cats gigging back then.
    Andy Just
    Rob Hodinott
    Dave Gonzales
    Andy Mazzelli
    Mike Mongello
    for starters...

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. Baminated

Baminated Member

thing is, what did RF use for OD into the bassman ? Did he just crank & roll off ?

Grubgoat likes this.
  9. realityczech

What do you think?
    It was the seventies and I suggest you do some research and figure it out for yourself.
    Listen.

10. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Yup. 99% sure it was just crank up and play. He made no mention at all of any od pedal. His advice on tone to the clinic was get a good guitar that you bond with and a good amp and make music with that. He said ...forget od pedals and such, just start with the gtr and amp. This may have been a simplistic answer to a more novice player in the class and her question to him about tone. I will say this......Robben played his tele into a cheap peavey classic 30, no pedals, no delay, no od....just guitar into the amp and he got sooooo much tone and variety of sounds out of just his gtr and amp, it was sick. It made me feel embarrassed to be chasing tone thru boutique amps and pedals etc...

Grubgoat likes this.
  11. Steve73

Steve73 Member

This is a thread jack but Andy Just is the best harmonica player I've ever seen live. He's a beast!

12. realityczech

Yep.
    We have history and its good.

13. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Not sure what was going on here, but if you want to here what Robben sounds like with absolutely terrible tone, here's your chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2vrsNRSgs

I almost sound like we got some sort of DI version of his guitar. I can't believe he dialed this in himself, but who knows?

edit: embedding's not working on this particular clip for whatever reason, so I just left the link.

14. realityczech

Fixed it for ya . next time keep both hands on the keyboard...:)

So whats your point?

15. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i have been to some of Robben's clinics during the "Tiger Walk" era, where he was playing a few pedals into a pair of reissue blackface twins, and he sounded FANTASTIC.

i have also been lucky enough to share the stage at the same gig with Robben in San Severino Marche Italy, and hear him with his 67 white Tele and his Dumble, and that sounded excellent as well. but not much better than he sounded with the twins......;)

16. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

OT, Condolences on the loss of you cat.

17. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Hey Bobby,
    I have heard Robben with that backline of a couple of twins, his zendrive, volume pedal and a wah and he sounded fantastic but to hear him thru a simple peavey classic 30 and have this wall of tone was truly humbling.

18. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Thanks Bob. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I don't have kids and my cats were/are my kids. I still have one with me.

19. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

sorry to hear about your kitty -- i am MADLY in love with our family cat, and i am gonna really miss her when she passes on, she's my best friend, so i feel your pain.

yes. hearing Robben thru a $300 Peavey amp is.......EDUCATIONAL.....yes? ;)

a great player is a great player, so matter what he is playing thru. yes, great gear helps a lot and makes getting great tone EASIER and more RELIABLY.....

but a good player can gig with any decent gear and sound good.

i could show up at a gig tomorrow with a BOSS pedalboard with 6 off the rack pedals from Guitar Center and a cheap $500 orunder mass production tube amp......and do a gig with it THAT NITE and sound just fine :agree

20. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Sorry you had to go through that, but know how you feel exactly.