Great! Another D*** Telecaster Pickup Conundrum...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Playloudd308, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

I had a very special Nocaster that was truly the one that got away.
    (See story below)

It had the twisted tele pickups and they sounded wonderful. I am looking for something similar and have read the new Custom shop Loaded Nocaster pickups are pretty sweet. My playing preferences are at the bottom of this post if you want to skip over the story about how a seemingly harmless case of GAS can Lead to very dumb decisions.

I went tele for a little while and became obsessive. Found “THE ONE” and grew pretty connected to the guitar. It was there through some of the most difficult points in my life. Regretfully I ended up trading the guitar out during a major GAS attack. I felt a little uneasy when I left the shop, but the excitement of my a new guitar masked the truth.

The unease grew during the drive home and I told my wife how I was feeling. She talked some sense into me and said to go buy the guitar back when the store opened the next day. I wanted to wait a day or two in order to see if it would pass but the feeling didn’t go away. I called after a few days and they said it had sold the same day! It was an amazing sonic blue CS Nocaster that just had IT. Very sadly it was purchased by a Reverb seller that parts out guitars... body was still there but no neck, no electronics, no hardware.

Playing style:
    Hendrix
    Mayer
    SRV

Amp:
    Two Rock Bloomfield Drive

Neck:
    Stratty (I know, I know, it is a tele)
    big, warm and thick without mud. A little bit of bite and character with cleans. I know woody isn’t a very good descriptive word but it is the one that comes to mind. I do 90% of my playing on the neck and it needs to keep its composure while rolling down volume and tone controls.

Bridge:
    NO ICE PICK. That is pretty much the only requirement. I like hot bridges with some twang and snap. Also like to roll off the tone for those big bow violin leads. Smooth/vocal with out getting honky or brittle. Thick and tasty, I do not enjoy thin sounding pickups

2. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Don Mare makes the best telecaster pickups. I love his sets and I'm fond of many of them. They're the closest to vintage I've found. Budz are also great. His purebred set is amazing.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Playloudd308 likes this.
  3. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have a Mojotone Broadcaster Quiet Coil, love the tone & no hum!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Playloudd308 likes this.
  4. pine

pine Silver Supporting Member

I like Fred Stuart Blackguard pickups the best in the bridge position; I would give Don Mare a close second. In fact my #1 Tele has a Stuart bridge and a Don Mare neck. My other Tele has a Don Mare bridge (the Keefer model) and a BareKnuckle P90 in the neck

Playloudd308 likes this.
  5. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

David at zhangbucker makes the best Tele pickups. Everyone else in this thread is wrong. :)

Go check em out:

www.zhangbucker.com

ESP. Look at the Paul Bunyan

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Silver Supporting Member

I use two sets in my Teles.... for 60's style Teles I prefer the Arcane '65 Experience pickups. Thick, hold together VERY well, and drive smoothly. Punchy, bold, but not as much "twang" as a stock tele. I have this in my Rocketfire 60's style Tele. Cleans to screams these sound fantastic!

For 50's style my new all time favorite is Onamac Vintage Tele set. These are the ones that are Extremely close to what Charles Whitfil has custom wound for his amazing Teles. Twangy bridge but not harsh, smooth, open sounding neck, and a nice, slightly compressed middle position. Still has a lot of Punch and snap, with a "Stratty" quality to them in the middle position.

I highly recommend that if you get the Onamac, you should get his control plate as well. Prewired, PHENOMENAL High Quality parts and build. I replaced a set of stock pickups in a Tele Deluxe and it completely transformed that guitar.

Onamac also has "Robben Ford" tele set that I am dying to try. The clips I've heard sound really good.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have several T types with different pickups.

In general, the Suhr T pickups are great, the Bardens take some getting used to in terms of response and dynamics, and the new to me Lollar 52t set with alnico 2 magnets may be ideal. Much like you describe on your want list. They are exceptionally sweet and never harsh.

8. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

With that description, I would put a strat pickup in the neck.

ProfRhino likes this.
  9. Tootone

Tootone Member

Fender CS Blackguard pup in the Bridge. Throaty... not ice-picky.

Fender CS Twisted Tele (Strat pup) in the neck.

Sorted.

10. koji

koji Member

My experience tells me pickups are only as good as the guitar you put them in. Fralins for example,installed in a dead guitar, equals a dead guitar with expensive pickups. The guitar you sold seems to have what i call the x factor, and probably would have sounded great with any number of different pickups.

11. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Captain Obvious asks, "why not get a Twisted Tele set?"

Madguitrst likes this.
  12. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Bootstrap Pretzel Set. Just great pickups.

13. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

What you should try is a Fender Texas Special in the neck and a Nocaster in the bridge.....and Fender makes the best Telecaster pickups.